Posted On:
    2/18/2006 2:17am

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6
    Has anyone used anything like this
    http://www.combatsports.com/detail.aspx?ID=22428
    I saw them in a store and thought they were really cool. After a LOT of work cutting them down so that the fabric doesn't bend like crazy, they're alright. Faster to put on than regular wraps by a long shot, better knuckle protection and no untangling mess and comparable wrist support.

I cut away the thumb and pinky loops because it makes the material bend in a very uncomfortable way for my hand. I thought I wouldn't mind it at a later time, but I was oh so wrong. I didn't get used to it at all and ended up putting them away for hiding until it occured to me I could maim them into something better. I think if you cut them to fit yourself they'd be nice to slip on under some gloves. They're very useful if you don't have the time to put on proper wraps.

Overall I'd say that they're a waste of money unless you have the patience to make them fit yourself perfectly, or are contantly in a hurry and can adjust to annoyances.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    2/18/2006 3:24am

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeice
    What I find weird is that I've been punching since I was 6 and never wrapped, do regular intensive bagwork and never have a problem beyond the occasional bit of torn skin (used to happen years ago, not anymore) and never really had a problem. I tried wrapping for a muay thai class at one point, felt weird even before hitting, but when I hit something it hurt me a ridiculous amount, I immediately tookt hem off and never wore them again. Stupid handwraps.

I know what you're thinking:

"Oh Noes! you will get Teh Arth1ti15!!!!"

People get arthritis after doing nothing their entire lives, if I end up with it because I did something at least I don't have to sit around and bitch about bad genetics, I'll brag about "back when I was a crazy young guy who fucked his body up the old fashioned way!"
    Same here. Cheers!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2006 3:35am

Style: MT (no, not "empty")

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been using those. Havent had any of the problems GypsyJazz has had, but i have worn out the fabric between the finger holes fairly fast. Which is annoying because the rest is still pefectly good but now the knuckle part will move around. They probably need to make that part out of a different materia. But the wrist support and padding are both very good.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2006 11:34am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I tried them once because i couple of my friends had them. They protect the knuckles pretty well but the thumb and the top of my fist seemed and felt too exposed for them to feel too effective. But they do take 5 seconds to put on.

Genius

Posted On:
    2/18/2006 11:42am

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you punch properly, you don't even need wraps. However, it takes time to ween yourself off of them if you've been training with them.

Wraps "protect" your wrist and tendons at the expense of atrophy. It's much like a weight belt. Many powerlifters and olympic lifters prefer to actually strengthen the core taht the weightbelt as designed to protect instead.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2006 12:08pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaiboxerken
    If you punch properly, you don't even need wraps. However, it takes time to ween yourself off of them if you've been training with them.

Wraps "protect" your wrist and tendons at the expense of atrophy. It's much like a weight belt. Many powerlifters and olympic lifters prefer to actually strengthen the core taht the weightbelt as designed to protect instead.

What he said.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/18/2006 12:20pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hmmm, I never thought of that one....
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2006 12:22pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have actually been doing quite a bit of workout without wraps lately. Perhaps I should just keep that up.
    Could wrap for fights, but stay without for the most part.
    Smart? Stupid?

Posted On:
    2/18/2006 3:29pm

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Wouldn't doing grip exercises prevent atrophy even if you always wrapped to hit the bag? I really don't know, but using a wrist roller, finger tip push ups and other exercises of the sort seem like they would improve strength in the long run. Someone please correct me on this if I'm wrong.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2006 11:54pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy Jazz
    Wouldn't doing grip exercises prevent atrophy even if you always wrapped to hit the bag? I really don't know, but using a wrist roller, finger tip push ups and other exercises of the sort seem like they would improve strength in the long run. Someone please correct me on this if I'm wrong.
    Not necessarily wrong, but there's a difference between the kind of wrist strength you built using a roller compared to bracing your wrist in place the split second you impact the bag.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast