Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 5:55pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    You know wraps protect your wrists and hand tendons as well as cushion your knuckles right? I wouldn't do more than slap a bag without wraps.

Which is why you'll hear people refer to it as 'never-last'. :5crackup:

This is how I wrap up. Notice how he has his hands spread while wrapping. That's important to get the right fit.
    http://www.boxinggyms.com/tips/wraps...knuckles01.htm
    Ha!!! That's from where I learned how to wrap the hands!!! :5sonar: That's how I wrap my hands, but in reverse order (wrap between fingers first, then thumb last). I spread my fingers, and constantly close them to make sure I can make a fist with both methods, and I keep getting the wraps either too lose at the thumb or too tight (most likely cuz I suck).

I forgot to mention that when I use the ACE wraps, I place a few ribbons cut out of a spare 'never-last/ever-crap' wrap on my knuckles just before wrapping between the fingers (like shown here: http://www.boxinggyms.com/tips/wraps...s/ribbon07.htm)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 6:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elnyka
    ... so that's a good sign I wasn't doing anything unsafe/moronic.
    Yeah dude, you're covered.

It's just guys like Ryno and myself who do dumb **** like punching things without wraps.

Sheesh. Where do we come up with this stuff?!?!
    :new_all_c

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 6:50pm

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stick with the ACE strips if you like using them. Although from my experience they lose their ability to self cling over time and lose elasticity as well. I don't know how long using the ACE bandages will last you.

I'd have to back up the reccomendation of mexican style wraps. They tend to be longer and take slightly longer to wrap, but the great thing about them is that due to the slight elasticity of the material, they adjust to your hands in a few minutes if you did them too tight. At least that's been the case for me in the past.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 7:00pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everlast has this weird dichotomy.
    Their mainstream stuff sucks donkey balls but their highend stuff is supposed to be great.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 7:25pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone have any good insight/links regarding hand wrapping for MMA?
    I've gone with Slayer gloves unwrapped in the past, and it hasn't been a problem, but I might as well wrap up before I hurt myself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 7:28pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know wraps protect your wrists and hand tendons as well as cushion your knuckles right? I wouldn't do more than slap a bag without wraps.
    Wrapping hands? Why? If you wrap them you lose that lovely flesh tearing sensation when the leather decides to keep a part of you, as a souvenir. I for one don't want to miss out on that ****.

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 7:59pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I do know that. And my heavy bag at home is as hard as a fucking rock, but I haven't had a problem going without wraps. I haven't turned a wrist in 10 years, and have never had a problem with tendons. Maybe it's a little risky, especially when you're first learning to really blast a heavy bag, but I often go without wraps. When I first started, I always used wraps, but somewhere along the line quit, and haven't had much trouble going without.

It seemed that back when I wore wraps for every session I had a lot more wrist trouble. Whether this was because my technique was just more sloppy (probable), or my wrists were weaker due to the reliance on the wrap support (possible?), I have no idea.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 11:30pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's always annoying to wrap my left hand using my right becuase I'm a lefty; so my right hand is wrapped perfectly while my left has the problems with wraps. Plus it's bad because I've injured my thumb serveral times when I started MT (my thumb used to stick out of my fist a little).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2006 12:42am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I find weird is that I've been punching since I was 6 and never wrapped, do regular intensive bagwork and never have a problem beyond the occasional bit of torn skin (used to happen years ago, not anymore) and never really had a problem. I tried wrapping for a muay thai class at one point, felt weird even before hitting, but when I hit something it hurt me a ridiculous amount, I immediately tookt hem off and never wore them again. Stupid handwraps.

I know what you're thinking:

"Oh Noes! you will get Teh Arth1ti15!!!!"

People get arthritis after doing nothing their entire lives, if I end up with it because I did something at least I don't have to sit around and bitch about bad genetics, I'll brag about "back when I was a crazy young guy who fucked his body up the old fashioned way!"

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    2/18/2006 1:34am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Has anyone used anything like this
    http://www.combatsports.com/detail.aspx?ID=22428
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast