Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 5:02pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Stooopid handwraps.

Man, I have a question. I use a pair of 108" handwraps (everlast). My hands are small, so more or less I can wrap my hands/knuckles with them. The problem is that either I end up with a lose fit, or I make them too thight around the base of my thumb. So it takes me forever to get them right. (yeah I know I suck at wrapping my hands.)

Anyways, I always carry several pairs of 2" width ACE elastic wraps with me, and today I decided to use them instead. I used two rolls in each hand. The first one around my hand/knuckles and between the fingers, and the second one to wrap the base of my thumb and the wrist. I put my gloves on and went at it for 20 minutes on a wavemaster and I didn't feel any problems. Surprisingly they felt much better than the handwraps. :viking:

Now my question is... is this a good idea????? My gym just removed the sandbag to make room for the aerobic chicks (what a :homo: move) leaving only the wavemasters.

So far, I don't feel any problems hitting the wavemasters with my gloves and hands wrapped with the ACE wraps. But would it be a good idea when/if I workout with a heavy bag??? :tard:

The plus side is that it's a lost faster to use the ACE wraps, and they feel a 1000 times a much better fit than the handwraps. But the downside is... oh, I duno. Ergo, I ask you guys (specially if you know what the **** you are doing when punching) for your opinion. :5dunce:
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 5:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    use the ACE wraps, I don't see any problem with using them instead. Hell, they're basically the same as what you'd wrap your hands with for a fight, so why not?
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 5:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gay, tell them to bring back the bags. That should be your biggest concern.

But yeah, ace bandages rock. I have tiny female hands as well, and I stopped using handwraps a long time ago. Until I lose my ace bandages, I'll use them.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 5:11pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    and yeah, punching a wavemaster is gay (although I do like hitting the hanging water bags to heep my muscles loose sometimes)
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 5:15pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Combat Sports makes some mma wraps that have a bit more stretch to them, which I like a lot.

But to be honest, I rarely even use wraps though. I'm a heavyweight, and have pretty decent punching power and not huge hands, and I've rarely had problems. Only when my hands have been bugging me do I even consider wrapping, and even then, only if I'm hitting a rock-hard heavy bag. The Thai bag that we have at the gym is too damn squishy to even warrant wraps. Wavemasters are even softer. I just use some open-finger bag gloves with the built in wrist wrap.

I've talked to some boxers about wraps, and especially at the lighter weights, many go without wraps if they are using a good well protected set of gloves. Listen to what some of the other boxers have to say though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 5:16pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have the same problems too, either they're to lose or too tight around my thumb. The ACE wraps seem like a good idea.

punch-drunk

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 5:21pm

supporting member
     Style: SanDa / MMA / Kung-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if the ace elastics are working so well for you sure go with that for now.
    but the main problem with the 108" everlast handwraps that you are using suck, everlast gear for the most part blows, and 108" lenght is waaay to short for most hands/wrists. stay away from everlast and tko gear, which is the typical gear they sell at sporting goods stores. it is not real boxing gear. go to ringside.com or another reputable boxing supplier and order some mexican style 180" handwraps or the equivalent, then you will be good to go.
    oh yeah, and you need a new gym.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 5:32pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    Combat Sports makes some mma wraps that have a bit more stretch to them, which I like a lot.

But to be honest, I rarely even use wraps though. I'm a heavyweight, and have pretty decent punching power and not huge hands, and I've rarely had problems. Only when my hands have been bugging me do I even consider wrapping, and even then, only if I'm hitting a rock-hard heavy bag. The Thai bag that we have at the gym is too damn squishy to even warrant wraps. Wavemasters are even softer. I just use some open-finger bag gloves with the built in wrist wrap.

I've talked to some boxers about wraps, and especially at the lighter weights, many go without wraps if they are using a good well protected set of gloves. Listen to what some of the other boxers have to say though.

You know wraps protect your wrists and hand tendons as well as cushion your knuckles right? I wouldn't do more than slap a bag without wraps.

everlast gear for the most part blows
    Which is why you'll hear people refer to it as 'never-last'. :5crackup:

This is how I wrap up. Notice how he has his hands spread while wrapping. That's important to get the right fit.
    http://www.boxinggyms.com/tips/wraps...knuckles01.htm
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 5:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like the revgear 180" hand wraps, personally.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 5:46pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    and yeah, punching a wavemaster is gay (although I do like hitting the hanging water bags to heep my muscles loose sometimes)
    Tell me about. I gotta pile one behind two of them so that they don't move when I kick them. :gay: ... fortunately, I have a makiwara board at home which I use to compensate for this level of pussyfying gayeness. :cachas:

I miss the sandbag... it's laying on the floor unused, abandoned and alone. It used to hang from a chain attached to the ceiling, but the staff took it it off. The aerobic chicks were complaining it was in the way of their fifi-fufu classes... bitches.

The staff says that if I need it back up, that I need to ask for them to 1) put it up, and 2) put it down. To be honest, I'm not gonna chase them around for 10,15 minutes so I'm gonna have to settle with the gay wavemaster thing for a while... at least until I join a real gym.

One good thing is that I have a goldgym's card so I can go to another gym on my way down to Miami every weekend. They have a sandbag permanently available there. So I will know this weekend if the ACE wraps feel good when I hit it.

At least it's good to know that some of you guys have used the ACE wraps without any problems... so that's a good sign I wasn't doing anything unsafe/moronic. :tongue5:
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast