218358 Bullies, 7106 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 151 to 160 of 186
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516 171819 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. whybother is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    253

    Posted On:
    2/21/2006 10:45am


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Astrosmurf
    I think its is mainly the claims many Chunners make about the art that is silly.

    Wing Chun imo has some useful techniques, tactics and training methods in its traditional curriculum but without alive training people are just using them for dancing. It is also concerned with a rather limited range, groundfighting is not included at all and at longe range it is rather limited. At closer range its techiques are often somewhat difficult to use with boxing gloves, with small grappling gloves it is much easier. It is (for me at least) especially hard to use against a mobile and skilled defensive fighter but works much better when counter-attacking someone who is offensive.
    Yes, it might be more accurate to say that it's not wing chun but the people who practice wing chun that are silly. ;)

    Of course wing chun doesn't have groundfighting, but what makes you say it has "some" useful things? -- this is just another claim without any supporting evidence. How do you know they are useful? It seems to me that we can only say they are useful if people are making them work. If people are making them work, why can't we see any evidence of these "things" at work?
  2. whybother is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    253

    Posted On:
    2/21/2006 10:55am


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma
    And will you actually go looking for any evidence that WC is not the bullshit you believe it to be? If you don't, you're not really entitled to hold that opinion. It's like saying that you hate black people without having ever met any black people or looked for anything good in the black community.
    No, it's not the same at all -- when there is no evidence supporting a claim, and in fact all the available evidence seems to refute the claim, a person is not being prejudiced or closed-minded to take the position that the claim is false. This is just being rational. As I said, it is open-minded to be open to the possiblity that our view, whatever it is, may be wrong (are you open to the possibility that wing chun may be silly? If not, then you are closed-minded!). And if I see some compelling evidence that supports the view that wing chun can produce decent fighters, then I'll change my view. Until then, I'll just go on believing that the world is indeed round and that wing chun sucks. Oh, wait, should I go on a quest to find evidence that the world is actually flat or wing chun is decent? Or is it up to the flat-worlders and wing chunners to convince me?
  3. garbanzo is offline
    garbanzo's Avatar

    Middleweight

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    1,679

    Posted On:
    2/21/2006 1:35pm

    supporting member
     Style: MMA, Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
    If you can post videos that show WC working effectively against a resisting opponent (sparring etc.) that'd be great.

    Compliant drills and such will not help WC's reputation on this board though.
    How about it?

    I, for one, have gone looking for evidence that Wing Chun is not bullshit.

    I have yet to find a WC clip like the hypothetical one described above.

    Does such a thing exist?

    Does anyone know where such a thing may be found?

    :gaygay:
    The vast Universe!
    The Way of Aiki to to become
    The light of all mankind
    Opening all the world

    --O Sensei

    :gaygay:
  4. Shawarma is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2,440

    Posted On:
    2/21/2006 1:44pm


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe you should try fighting some chunners rather than judging it on shittacular clips on the internet. That would actually be worthy as evidence.
  5. EternalRage is offline
    EternalRage's Avatar

    WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    3,360

    Posted On:
    2/21/2006 1:49pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've sparred/trained with a number of them. The ratio of good ones to bad ones was about like 3/20.
  6. Firebrand is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    233

    Posted On:
    2/21/2006 2:21pm


     Style: BJJ, Sambo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    whybother posted.
    Of course wing chun doesn't have groundfighting, but what makes you say it has "some" useful things? -- this is just another claim without any supporting evidence. How do you know they are useful?
    Well, Askari did post that video of chain punching used effectively in that UFC fight. There are some good techniques in there if they are practiced correctly.
  7. Firebrand is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    233

    Posted On:
    2/21/2006 2:38pm


     Style: BJJ, Sambo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bruce also used it back in the day. There is evidence out there of its effectiveness. Just not many recently and few of the NHB type caught on film.

    Wing Chun is not as effective as Boxing because of the way the vast majority of its people train and because of its inherent limitations (which Omega covered pretty well in his award winning thread). But it is bullshido to say that it is all useless.
    Last edited by Firebrand; 2/21/2006 2:44pm at .
  8. zenturkey is offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7

    Posted On:
    2/21/2006 3:58pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Mixed MA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Removed this post, please disregard

    Removed this post, please disregard
    Last edited by zenturkey; 2/24/2009 1:14pm at .
  9. Tom Kagan is offline
    Tom Kagan's Avatar

    Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    New York, NY USA
    Posts
    5,602

    Posted On:
    2/21/2006 4:35pm

    supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebrand
    whybother posted.


    Well, Askari did post that video of chain punching used effectively in that UFC fight. There are some good techniques in there if they are practiced correctly.

    This would only be relevant, if at all, if Vitor Belfort were trained in the art to which you are using his performance as validation.
  10. Dark_Glitch is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kansas Silly, Misery
    Posts
    175

    Posted On:
    2/22/2006 1:30am


     Style: Noobie Muay Thai

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zenturkey
    http://www.freewebs.com/authenticwin...demy/index.htm

    I went by this place one evening, it was downright comical!
    What
    the
    hell?

    Did you fight anyone? If so, what did they do?

    That friggin scares me. The very Idea that someone would put that song...

    This has to be a joke. Tell me that was a joke, cause there is no way any sane person would put that as....


    ....

    Stop reading this thread and go train you lazy bastards. In the time that you read this, I've done 100 crunches. :D

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.