Sponsored Links Spacer Image

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 12:15pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sanchin

I'm watching a discovery channel documentary on Sanchin Karate. Talk about a masochistic art. The sensei seems to beat on his students relentlessly, then subject them to hours of kata. His favorite student is an obese black belt, who gets pounded on while lifting weights. The poor fatty looks like he's going to cry, then talks about how his master is "nurturing" him. It would be hilarious if it wasn't sad. Has anyone practiced this martial art? WTF is going on here? I'm all for tough, realistic training, but I have never been mugged whilst lifting weights.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 12:19pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Real Okwinawan Karate, they punch rocks, and hit them with metal objects to tougher themselves up. Was the instructor Okwinawan?

There is a line between training and abuse.

Nothing for Show, All for use

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 12:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Jook Lum South Mantis,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no such beast as Sanchin Karate. Sanchin or Sam Chien is a major form that came through Southern Chinese Kung fu systems and made its way to Okinawa. Basically its a strength form which includes tensing and untensing your muscles while you perfrom strikes to train certain ranges of movement that will help you hit as well as protect when you are hit.

All training is done progressively and you do not start out whacking yourself or students with full power.

You build up.

Sanchin was trained for 3 years and nothing but in old school Okinawan karate schools way back.

Southern Mantis has a version as well Wu Tzu Kuen(Five Ancestor) fist.

Your RBSD Cannot Save You Now.

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 12:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Spanish Rapier/Epee/Foil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I say that if they are stupid enough to pay somebody to hit them, then they deserve it.
    Isn't Sanchin Japanese for "The Way of Abusive Instructors"?
    Wasn't there a video of something like this here on Bullshido?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 12:50pm

Style: Baguazhang

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I saw that same Discovery special (about a year ago or so) and laughed like you did. As memory serves (although I could be wrong here), I don't think the Karate was Okinawan, rather Japanese. And yes, the training seemed brutal to the point that it will catch up with you in later life. IMO, training to take a hit and conditioning your body is one thing; getting beat on is another.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKaze
    Real Okinawan karate, they punch rocks, and hit them with metal objects to tougher themselves up.
    Okinawans primarily hit the makiwara to condition the hands and feet, although some kick large naval ropes (about 6 " in diameter) with their big toes to develop a nasty toe kick. Personally, I wish I had never started makiwara training as I will probably develop arthritis in my hands from it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 12:53pm

Style: Baguazhang

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas
    no such beast as Sanchin Karate. Sanchin or Sam Chien is a major form that came through Southern Chinese Kung fu systems and made its way to Okinawa. Basically its a strength form which includes tensing and untensing your muscles while you perfrom strikes to train certain ranges of movement that will help you hit as well as protect when you are hit.

All training is done progressively and you do not start out whacking yourself or students with full power.

You build up.

Sanchin was trained for 3 years and nothing but in old school Okinawan karate schools way back.

Southern Mantis has a version as well Wu Tzu Kuen(Five Ancestor) fist.
    Dale is correct, but that is what they called the style in the show - I figured the sensei founded his own style. Ironically, I don't remember them practing Sanchin kata in the documentary.
    Last edited by Kobayashi; 2/17/2006 1:11pm at .

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 1:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The worst Master Ahn ever did was give somebody a good smack with the shinai when they fucked up.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 1:09pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sanchin is a central kata in Okinawan Goju-ryu karate. It is used as a form of tanrenho, of body training, involving breathing exercises, and yes, the beating you saw, though as Dale said, it is a progressive method of training in body hardening.

In some of the Shorin styles, the Naihanchi kata (Naebojin hyung in Korean karate) is used for much the same purpose.
    Last edited by Jiggle Butt; 2/17/2006 1:12pm at .

Nothing for Show, All for use

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 1:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Jook Lum South Mantis,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uechi-Ryu has a version which is done differently than Goju-Ryu. Uechi is done with open hands versus the closed fists.

Its THE form of Okinawan karate of the Naha Te lineages.

I remember that program and the fat guy was a Goju Ryu student who did get a beating from his teacher. Okinawan Karate is sometimes referred to as Kichigai Karate or Insane Karate as the training seems to go WAY beyond what most dilletantes would even attempt.

It weeds out the wussbags very early when you start to kick each other in the thighs with shin kicks.

:icon_tong

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 1:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is Wayne Brady gonna hafta choke a Karateka?!?!?
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast