Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 3:02am

Style: To Shin Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

...A hand, please.

Ugh.

While I realize that my topic title can sound somewhat suggestive to the trained ear (apologies for the horrible pun), I fear I must post this.

So I know this girl, and she's just getting into MA for her first time, taking Tang Soo Do.

Now, forgive me for sounding idiotic here--perhaps I should have seen it sooner--but this seems more and more like, well, Bullshido.

Evidence.

Here, I'll compile.

Okay, first off, the owner's last name is Flame. I'm not sure if this was his birth name, but holy feck, does it sound cheesy. "Master Flame?" Ouch. I don't know if this is an unfortunate genealogy accident, or whether he changed his name to sound more "hardcore," but at least his brother shares the same last name (they head the studio together).

Now, this girl, she was telling me some of the stuff Flame is able to do, and he seemed somewhat legit. While this is completely impractical, he was able to snap fourteen boards piled up and knock the wind out of the guys behind it, so I suppose that's to his credit.

So I stopped in to see her test for Orange belt.

Here are a few things I noticed.
    --The girls have to paint their toenails to match the belt they're testing for. Urgh.
    --Only the leetest of the black belts have the right to wear black gis...okay. I walked in with my (beltless) black gi from To Shin Do (form your own opinion here), and was immediately regarded by all the sub-12-year-old students. I put a hoodie on. Heh.
    --When the girl got her testing scoresheet back (yes, they have them), there was a comment written about her forms. "Make ki-haps louder."

Then, I checked the website. http://www.tangsoodouniversity.com/index.cfm?
    --The owner was apparently rated the #1 sparrer in California. Whatever that means.
    --He has a picture of him with his two year old son wearing a black belt. I don't know if this was some professional photography stuff--"WE HAVE TO HAVE THEM ALL IN MARSHUL ART GEAR"--but damn.
    --Going to the "Programs" button on his website, the first one listed: Lil' Dragons. I kid you freaking not.
    --And here was the final blow:
    "Xtreme Martial Arts
    Xtreme Martial Arts is the fusion of martial arts techniques, gymnastics, and acrobatics, taken to the extreme with explosive energy and "Hollywood" theatrics!"

XMA. Yes. XMA.

Okay, I don't know, guys. I'd hate to completely wreck her perceptions, but at the same time, it's just so damn cheesy. Oh, and Krav Maga.

But agh. I just had to get that out there. Sorry.

Now, I'm not that great of an MA person myself--a bit of TKD (quit because it was too questionable), then some To Shin Do, and I mean, I don't have all that many training resources. I do some crap on my own though, just kind of experimentation, I suppose...

But this is why, despite overwhelming evidence, I pass the jury decision to you folks. What do you guys think?

Well, that was a long first post. Hopefully I won't get trashed too hard.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 3:29am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shut your F'n hole, nub!

(We have an elitest image to keep around here, k?)

PS: I like your sig. It made me chuckle in RL. Oh...and the rest of your post? Honestly toenail polish thing sounds either unbelievable or somewhat freaky...like do a background check and make sure this guy isn't a pedophile.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 3:38am

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    Shut your F'n hole, nub!

(We have an elitest image to keep around here, k?)

PS: I like your sig. It made me chuckle in RL. Oh...and the rest of your post? Honestly toenail polish thing sounds either unbelievable or somewhat freaky...like do a background check and make sure this guy isn't a pedophile.
    Werd.

That's the first thing I was thinking of when I read his post. This guy sounds like he's waiting to reveal to them the ultimate black belt technique... but only if they sleep with him. He'll infuse it into them.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 3:52am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now, on the this last push breath out quickly....

There you go, see that didnt' hurt, we here at bullshido help newbies pull their heads out their asses a lot.

As for this whole Tang soo do ****, Tang soo do is like heavy TKD. Depending upon the school could be good could be bad but probably gay tastic except for on key feature. They don't look like they're hiding anything. In other words they teach XMA and say what its for rather than say it's a good complete fighting system. They have Krav Maga which is probably watered down so I'd do some investigation on how quick they got certified. Sounds a bit Mcdojoish to me but you'd have to go challenge the instructor in ro shen bo to find out for sure.

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 4:44am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haha. To shin do. That just makes me think about that "stop it" video.

Hahaha. I'm laughin IRL now. Stop it! stop it! stop it!

Stopitstopitstopit!

haha. Gold.

Anyway..

To be serious. Sounds like crap, go do BJJ or something. Both of you.
    More human than human is our motto.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 5:16am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also recommended would be putting your penis in this girls vagina

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 5:17am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    before the instructor does it

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 7:06am

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fanatical
    To be serious. Sounds like crap, go do BJJ or something. Both of you.
    Hell, do boxing. Do kickboxing. Or muay thai.
    Just don't do Tang Soo Do.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 7:14am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Painting the nails to match the belt ? WTF?!
    Anyway, I'm not sure it is Bullshido, as Omega said they aren't hiding anything, they don't claim to be t3h d34dly martial art or even effective for self defense (I think) but simply what it is, martial arts techniques mixed up with some acrobatics and holywood'ish stuff

Kickboxing Coach

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 7:32am

Style: Jujitsu/Kickboxing/Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I donít know about this school to make a decision I would have to see more. They sound like are not concerned with how good the fighters they turn out but they arenít making any wild statements about how deadly they are. You would have to see what they are like by more then 1 visit.
    As far as Tang Soo Do schools go there are good and bad ones.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast