Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 3:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just as an aside a former poster, I think his name is MC Busman, if remember correctly did a very good write up on MA Cults. Specifically Moo Doo Kwan, I think.

Edit: His name is M.C. Busman, and the school/style he wrote about was Oom Yung Doe/Chung Moo Doe

Also here's a list of his threads, they are really informative if you're truly interested in MA Cults.
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/sear...earchid=706477
    Last edited by ojgsxr6; 2/17/2006 3:29pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 9:43pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll play. Here's my opinion on how well FSD fits this description:

1) The group is focused on a living leader to whom members display excessively zealous, unquestioning commitment.
    Check.

2) The group is preoccupied with bringing in new members and/or making money.
    Check.

3) Questioning, doubt, and dissent are discouraged.
    Check.

4) Mind-numbing techniques (for example: meditation, chanting, denunciation sessions, or debilitating work routines) are used to suppress members' doubts.
    Ah, I can't check this one. I did attend a mind-numbing meditation seminar (I've never paid so much to stare at candles), but that was my own fault.

5) The group's leadership dictates how members should think, act, and feel (for example: members must get permission from leaders to date, change jobs, or get married;) leaders may determine types of clothes to wear, where to live, how to discipline children, and so forth.
    Ooo - nasty. No check here.

6) The group is elitist, claiming a special, exalted status for itself, it's leader(s), and members (for example: the leader is considered the Messiah or an avatar; the group and/or the leader has a special mission to save humanity).
    Ify. They tend to be elitist with respect to other martial arts. Oh wait, Jacques often speaks of how he and FSD are helping humanity - check.

7) The group has a polarized we-they mentality that causes conflict with the wider society.
    Not really applicable with a martial art. No check.

8) The group's leader is not accountable to any authorities (as are, for example, military commanders and ministers, priests, monks, and rabbis of mainstream denominations).
    Again, not really applicable. No check.

9) The group teaches or implies that its "superior" ends justify means that members would have
    considered unethical before joining the group (for example: collecting money for bogus charities).
    I've heard rumours from real old-timers of some of this behavior, but never witnessed it myself, so no check.

10) The group's leadership induces guilt feelings in members in order to control them
    Big. Friggin. Check.

11) Members' subservience to the group causes them to give up previous personal goats and interests while devoting inordinate amounts of time to the groups.
    Goats? Who has personal goats? Oh, goals. The instructors literally live FSD, and they commonly talk about living a "martial arts lifestyle". Subservience is too harsh a term for what they do at FSD. They do encourage you to come as often as you can, though, and if you get into the leadership team you're going to be giving up a lot. You could argue that it's your choice, though. What's that? Get of the fence? Um, ok - check (but use a pencil).

12) Members are encouraged or required to live and/or socialize only with other group members.
    Well, contact with those who leave the school is discouraged (we're poison), but otherwise they don't seem to care. Another pencil check.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2006 9:34pm

Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dunno, under those criteria you could be describing the Republican party in the US.

Posted On:
    2/18/2006 9:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cute.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    2/18/2006 9:52pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragar
    I dunno, under those criteria you could be describing the Republican party in the US.
    Hmm... You might be on to something there...

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    2/18/2006 10:10pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ouch on the political parties, so long as you aren't part of the Marijuana party were ok.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/19/2006 5:37am

Style: Hei Long Gong Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why do you hate the Marijhuana party?

PS: NDP OK by you I guess eh?

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    2/19/2006 2:29pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Simon,
    I was attempting irony, I guess I need to work on it. It is just that political parties are an easy target for all kinds of attacks because of the nature of the public debate that they themselves encourage.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/19/2006 2:46pm

Style: To Shin Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragar
    On this website, we attack Bullshido, not the regular variety of bullshit.

Heh.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/19/2006 2:50pm

Style: judo, boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    These are all reasonable criteria. Unfortunately this is how most major martial arts systems operate. "We're the best! We're the best! Cobra Kai!" :5geezer:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast