Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    2/16/2006 11:37pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1 and 3 are pretty much the dead give aways. If you have those two, I'd start the whole questioning process.

As to percentages, you be the judge, if you club or dojo starts to hit a few key points things are going down hill.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2006 11:37pm

Style: judo, tkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    more cult info here http://www.rickross.com/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 12:03am

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    there's a nicely fleshed out list Here which even talks about why MA cults start up.

this one's my favourite.

--Your certificates and papers are marked with obscure and mystical-looking Japanese and/or Chinese characters. When you show it to someone who can read Japanese, they start laughing so hard that snot comes out of their noses.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 1:41am

Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not to get off subject, but that list sounds like what I've heard of Mormonism.

I'm not so sure #2 is really an indication of a cult. Actually, it sounds like almost any for-profit business I've ever come across. In comparison to the other points, I think #2 is more an indication of mcdojo than a cult.

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 5:15am

Style: luk chua bik da

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    #2 is valid because it suggests the cult can replenish it's numbers. For instance, while people talk about the heinous bullshidoness of Ashida Kim, the reality is that he apparently has zero or close to zero students, and that has been the case for years, because he cannot replenish ranks, but John Kim, in his heyday, because of #2 being present, could pack schools, which allowed him to buy multiple properties that served as compounds for a duration where he could use the cultists as free labor to build his mansions, all while evading taxes.

#2 on it's own may not mean much, but combined with #3 and #5(which are really the same point) it is full blown cult, imo

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 5:31am

Style: Cross Traiing/MMA/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon McNeil
    The first four are pretty common in martial arts groups. The rest would be pretty clear warning signs.

:adora: :adora: :adora: :XXarcade:
    :adora: :adora: :adora: :adora:
    :adora: :adora: :adora:
    :adora: :adora:
    :adora:
    The first 4 are really worrying I feel and are bad examples of how typical schools behave.

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 6:04am

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon McNeil
    The first four are pretty common in martial arts groups. The rest would be pretty clear warning signs.

:adora: :adora: :adora: :XXarcade:
    :adora: :adora: :adora:
    :adora: :adora:
    :adora:
    If you think that then you need to switch schools.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 10:00am

Style: Hei Long Gong Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by greese1
    If you think that then you need to switch schools.
    Acutally mine didn't. That was why I was there as opposed to one of the others in London... Like the Bernardo school that pushed that cult boundary rather dangerously.

Now I have changed schools because I have changed continents. Sorry but my cynnicism about McDojos/McDojyangs and McKwoons was showing through there.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 11:54am

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just look at the GCD crap that has been on here lately. I am sure they fit several of those descriptions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 3:20pm

Style: To Shin Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Huh, I was about to mention Grand Celestial Do. Too bad Ronin beat me to it.

Lovely.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast