Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 2:09pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    One of the guys at our gym had some nasty CE a couple weeks ago. He had it drained, but it just swelled up again and it started bleeding after he did some rolling and it was naaaasty.
    Did he tape/compress it after draining it????
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 4:16pm

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...6&postcount=14

Hypothesis: Incidence of caulliflower ear is inversely proportional to level of bullshido.

Evidence:
    CE: Judo, wrestling, boxing, bjj, kickboxing, rugby.
    No CE: Figure skating.

Inference: CE, a disfiguring and unattractive injury, is a consequence of training and competing in fighting styles that aren't bullshit. No one wants it, some of us are susceptable to it.

Discuss.
    I was under the impression that bullshido meant for fraud and BS in the martial arts. If a karate school is setup to train kids to do forms, and compete in point sparring, and lets their parents know that, is it bullshido? McDojo for sure, but bullshido?

Another counter point would be backyard brawling/wrestling. There is more of a chance that some kid is going to get his ear mangled with a 2X4 wrapped in barbed wire, than a kendoka wearing full armor or a kyokushin full contact fighter. Does this validate backyard wrestling, while disproving kendo or kyokushin?

I do not belive cauliflower ear is a good litmus test for bullshido. McDojo, more so, as belt factories are setup for profit, and people getting injured is bad business in general.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 4:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elnyka
    Did he tape/compress it after draining it????

dunno
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 4:54pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by isol8d
    I was under the impression that bullshido meant for fraud and BS in the martial arts. If a karate school is setup to train kids to do forms, and compete in point sparring, and lets their parents know that, is it bullshido? McDojo for sure, but bullshido?

Another counter point would be backyard brawling/wrestling. There is more of a chance that some kid is going to get his ear mangled with a 2X4 wrapped in barbed wire, than a kendoka wearing full armor or a kyokushin full contact fighter. Does this validate backyard wrestling, while disproving kendo or kyokushin?

I do not belive cauliflower ear is a good litmus test for bullshido. McDojo, more so, as belt factories are setup for profit, and people getting injured is bad business in general.
    Fraud = calling something martial art when there is no martial involved.
    And as demonstrated it isn't perfect (e.g. differential susceptability and backyard fighting and wrestling). Nonetheless as a rule of thumb I'm guessing it works.

I'm also guessing you had no idea what it was until this thread.

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 5:56pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    Fraud = calling something martial art when there is no martial involved.
    Fraud = saying your XMA team could do kicks and flips over attackers, and bring the pain down on their opponents.

*NOT*

saying your XMA team has a fun time and gets a good workout while impressing chicks at parties.

You can't call fraud on something just because it calls itself a MA, even if it's 98% art and only 2% martial. You can call bullshido on something that calls itself the be-all-and-end-all to martial art if it sucks ass, even if it's 98% martial and 2% full-of-****.

Dagon Akujin :copdance:

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 5:57pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it says martial in the name, and you can't fight for ****. It is bullshido.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 7:57pm

Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cauliflower ear was fairly common among Boxers in the past. Itís much less prevalent today because they donít fight as often, wear heavier gloves, and also wear larger heavier headgear when sparring. The pre 1920ís Boxers often fought wearing 4 and 6 ounce gloves which were about the size of modern speed bag gloves. Cauliflower ear was even worse for the bare-knuckle boxers in the 1800ís because of all of the standup wrestling and holding and hitting that they were allowed to get away with.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345