Posted On:
    2/17/2006 12:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elnyka
    Jokes aside, do MT/KK guys get CE?
    I have not yet achieved the gnarly, meaty, cant-hear-outa-that-ear CE that would mark me as non-bullshido.

But nothing hurts my ears worse than training mauy thai clinch drills.
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 12:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DubhGhaill

I've noticed that no-gi tends to be tougher on the ears. That would explain why Judo players are less prone than wrestlers and BJJers.
    Funny, it's the other way around for me. Rough gi cloth rubbing against my ears over and over again = beautiful CEs. But then again, I've never done much no-gi.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 1:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't see how a boxer would get CE since you don't really get your head grabbed. Getting punched in the ear causes it too?
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Office Drone

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 1:18pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    I don't see how a boxer would get CE since you don't really get your head grabbed. Getting punched in the ear causes it too?
    punching the ear can cause it, boxers get it too, although I assume it's less common than in grappling types. I certainly don't see it as much.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 1:31pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    That's the saying we hear in Latin American countries whenever we watch a boxing match on TV. Commentators would usually call boxing "el deporte de los orejas de colifror" (the sport for the ones with cauliflower ears.)

Think a straight right/hook grazing your ear, or even worse, landing on it flatly. It's bound to happen, and the trauma should be comparable to having your ears folded and twisted while grappling. I dunno how it is nowadays, but I remember when I was a kid seeing photos of boxers with CE, which I don't see nowadays. :viking:
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 1:38pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've always been under the impression that if you get it drained and pressure bandaged quickly enough it doesn't progress. So maybe that's the reason it's less common in modern boxers?

Safe For Work

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 1:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My BJJ instructor grappled for quite a while and never had CE, but then while doing some MMA sparring with someone, he caught a knee to the ear, while on the ground scrambling for position, and has a pretty knarly left ear now (it's just the top half, so it's much different looking than CE you see on most grapplers).

My ears are always sore during takedown/sprawling drills, and they tend to get a bit tender (swelling?). Hopefully my ears are somewhat resistant to the cauliflowering. I'm still new to BJJ, so I won't know until it's too late, but I'm just too lazy to get some headgear and put it on during drills and/or rolling. I'd rather take the verbal abuse from my wife after the fact. :zicon_bat (pointy CE).
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

Safe For Work

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 1:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    I've always been under the impression that if you get it drained and pressure bandaged quickly enough it doesn't progress. So maybe that's the reason it's less common in modern boxers?
    I've always wondered how many guys have tried to drain it themselves? I know when it happened to my instructor, they tried to do it themselves, but he ended up going to a doctor much later, and the guy wasn't really experienced with dealing with it (not a sports doctor), so they really couldn't do anything about it.

I know if it were to happen to me, I don't think I could stand to sit in an ER until someone shows up that MIGHT know what to do (since I train until about 10pm), so I would probably just live with it (although I prefer not to).
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 1:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the guys at our gym had some nasty CE a couple weeks ago. He had it drained, but it just swelled up again and it started bleeding after he did some rolling and it was naaaasty.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 2:00pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is why it's a good idea to make friends with medical students.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast