Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2006 11:22pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Steve
    Bit of a topic shift:

What do you guys think of training a fighter for their strong side to be the lead? Their jab and lead hook hand would be supah powahful.

Thoughts?
    That's what I do... I'm right-handed but I fight as southpaw.
    That's always what felt most natural anyway.
    I've got my first fight (probably? maybe?) coming up in a few weeks so we'll see how well it works.

Posted On:
    2/21/2006 11:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Steve
    Bit of a topic shift:

What do you guys think of training a fighter for their strong side to be the lead? Their jab and lead hook hand would be supah powahful.

Thoughts?
    I've actually been trying this out myself. I'm bascially ambidextrous, although primarily right handed. I was also once trained with the idea 'power side back' and that's actually what got me thinking.
    If i put my weak side back, then i get more momentum for power strikes, and if i lead with my 'power side' then i get more effective jabs or whatever. Works for kicks too. Well, so far. for me. results may vary. no guarantees.
    :new_all_c

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 3:33pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It might work for some folks, but for others like me, it would be bad.

I am right handed, but I am somewhat ambidextrous. The thing that is odd is that each hand has something that it is better at. My cross is far more powerful with my right than it is with my left. But my jabs absolutely suck with my right when I go to a southpaw stance. Yes, they hit hard, but so does my left jab from a conventional stance. The problem I have is a lack of finesse with the right. It's like a fucking club. Good for one big whack, but tough to use in rapid succession. Hooks are decent with both, but a bit better with the left. Uppercuts are better with the right.

On the defensive side, my left is far superior to my right when catching or parrying punches. So, keeping it out front in a conventional stance makes a lot of sense from a defensive mindset.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    2/23/2006 3:29am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    im left handed so i think doing that would basically mean giving up the advantage i have by being southpaw. but it can work for some. jerome lebanner has trained that way since he did JKD as a kid, and he has massive power in both arms (prolly helps that he is built like a fridge)

back to the original topic the best counter of that sort i have seen is masato vs Kraus in i think 2004 (the year where masato won)

Kraus hit him with a lead hook, masato covered and immediately came back with a hook off the hand that he just used to cover. dropped Kraus like a sack of potatoes.

Posted On:
    2/23/2006 3:25pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Coming in right behind an attack can be quite effective. There's always a bit of a gap right behind a committed technique, and if you can time this out and counter, there should be an opening. And since hands are generally faster than legs, hooks make for a nice trailing edge counter.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12