Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrass Open Flyer
    BLUEGRASS
    BRAZILIAN JIU-JITSU
    OPEN

Saturday April 8th, 2006
    12:OO pm

LOUISVILLE, KY

E.P. “Tom” Sawyer State Park
    (Westport Rd. exit off of 265 in Louisville)

Competitors: $30 (if received by April 1st)
    $40 (after April 1st)
    Spectators: $5 (children under 5 FREE)

Registration and weigh-ins: 9am – 11am

For more information, contact Allan Manganello at:
    LOUISVILLE MARTIAL ARTS ACADEMY
    3545 Springhurst Blvd.
    Louisville, KY 40241
    (502) 426-0333
    This is all the information I have right now. I'll try to get back to you guys in a few days with the registration forms and further details. I'm not affiliated with this club, so it might be a week or two.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2006 9:56am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the info. Do they have a website?

This tourney will fill the gap between the Arnolds and the Caique very nicely.

Posted On:
    2/15/2006 4:40pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by relytjj
    Thanks for the info. Do they have a website?

This tourney will fill the gap between the Arnolds and the Caique very nicely.
    No, they actually don't. Pretty retarded, huh?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2006 7:06pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu / JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Id like to go to one of these but where I am in a JJJ school I dont have any idea what to enter as. I personaly think im only about a blue belt. I held my own aginst a royce Gracie blue belt from Pa that outweighed me by at least 40 pounds. We went at it for about 15 min before we decided to call it quits. I was wearing him down but I was so thirsty and dry my tounge was sticking to the roof of my mouth.

What do the do with non BJJ entrants? Besides laughf at them and tap them out?

Posted On:
    2/15/2006 7:27pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Baator-Steel
    Id like to go to one of these but where I am in a JJJ school I dont have any idea what to enter as. I personaly think im only about a blue belt. I held my own aginst a royce Gracie blue belt from Pa that outweighed me by at least 40 pounds. We went at it for about 15 min before we decided to call it quits. I was wearing him down but I was so thirsty and dry my tounge was sticking to the roof of my mouth.

What do the do with non BJJ entrants? Besides laughf at them and tap them out?
    I assume you'd enter at the level you/your instructor thought you were at. I doubt they have any conventions set up to deal with the issue.

Did you end up competing in the Hayastan Grappling Challenge? I ended up having tests + papers + retarded family stuff, so it was a no go for me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2006 7:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    I assume you'd enter at the level you/your instructor thought you were at. I doubt they have any conventions set up to deal with the issue.

Did you end up competing in the Hayastan Grappling Challenge? I ended up having tests + papers + retarded family stuff, so it was a no go for me.
    Sigh, sadly my girlfriend had some stuff going on and I didnt go. That and my instructor was busy and I didnt want to go alone. I think there is another one coming up in west virginia or something fairly soon. I want to go to one of those Paradise warrior retreat things. Man its funny how when you dont have money to do stuff like that you are free and able but now that im working good I can never get the time off.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2006 10:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Hayastan was a good experience but the setup was terrible. It was going on the same time as a karate tournament in a big ballroom. They could only have 4 matches going on at once and the area was pretty tight with no spectator room so the edges were packed with people. Next year they are going to do it on a different day than the karate tournament because of the turnout. I competed in beginner (under 2 years experience) heavyweight (200+) and had three fights. The bad thing about it was they had so many enter they had to switch from a double elimination format to a single elimination. It didn't end up affecting me, but some of my training partners weren't so happy about it. So you didn't miss the greatest tournament ever, but it wasn't bad.

results: http://www.hayastangrapplingchalleng...6resultsKY.asp my name is Tyler Johnson.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2006 11:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Hayastan was a good experience but the setup was terrible. It was going on the same time as a karate tournament in a big ballroom. They could only have 4 matches going on at once and the area was pretty tight with no spectator room so the edges were packed with people. Next year they are going to do it on a different day than the karate tournament because of the turnout. I competed in beginner (under 2 years experience) heavyweight (200+) and had three fights. The bad thing about it was they had so many enter they had to switch from a double elimination format to a single elimination. It didn't end up affecting me, but some of my training partners weren't so happy about it. So you didn't miss the greatest tournament ever, but it wasn't bad.

results: http://www.hayastangrapplingchalleng...6resultsKY.asp my name is Tyler Johnson.
    Thats cool you won top place in your divesion. I like how you went the humble route too and didnt brag about it. Thats pretty rare.
    So in your honest opinnion how stiff was the competion? Was there any of the guys from The Sumerset Karate in it? The instructor of it has his a level 4 or something certificate from Gokor. I have been wanting to roll with some of those guys.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2006 11:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know I faced a guy from a school called abajutsu first, my second fight was against someone who was huge but pretty terrible, and my last match was against some cop who trains with his officer buddies. I don't think I faced any of the Somerset Karate guys. It was only my second tournament but I would rate them as better competition than I went up against at the Caique tournament last year, though I competed white belt and gi.

In all honesty, a cool head, being relaxed, and good conditioning allowed me to win fairly easy. I'd imagine that the first guy and last guy I grappled could possibly have better jiu-jitsu than me, but not on that particular day. I wouldn't call it stiff competition, at least not in the beginners division. However, some of Gokor's competitors in the advanced division looked really tough. They may have been Somerset Karate guys.

It was good enough competition to plan on doing it again next year.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2006 11:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know I faced a guy from a school called abajutsu first, my second fight was against someone who was huge but pretty terrible, and my last match was against some cop who trains with his officer buddies. I don't think I faced any of the Somerset Karate guys. It was only my second tournament but I would rate them as better competition than I went up against at the Caique tournament last year, though I competed white belt and gi.

In all honesty, a cool head, being relaxed, and good conditioning allowed me to win fairly easy. I'd imagine that the first guy and last guy I grappled could possibly have better jiu-jitsu than me, but not on that particular day. I wouldn't call it stiff competition, at least not in the beginners division. However, some of Gokor's competitors in the advanced division looked really tough. They may have been Somerset Karate guys.

It was good enough competition to plan on doing it again next year.

Very cool.. Man im almost in the geezer division that sucks ha ha ha!
    I cant wait to go to one now. Id be in same rank and weight as you I belive.
    Im checking out the pic from the event its sure crouded in there. I see a kid from the sumerset bunch I know they have the black belt club gi pants as part of their uniform.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast