Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 3:17pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just found out that the link I supplied were removed. So I found another one of his site with even more outrageous claims

http://www.zendoryukarate.com/Grandmasters_.html

Master Skornia is a pioneer and a living legend in developing traditional karate in America for the last half of a century. Master Skornia is a direct descendant Zen Priest of the Shaolin Temple. He trained and meditated at the Shaolin Monastery in the Songshan Mountains near Xian, China. He was an honored guest of the 1500-year anniversary of the Shaolin Temple in 1995.
    How does a caucasian become a decendant much less direct of a zen priest in China ?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 6:30pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I park my car down the street from the BJJ school I attend (Rigan Machado's in Redondo Beach) and walking to the school I pass this head shop with a big Zendoryu ad in the window. I wonder if they get stoned first and then train?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2007 12:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by biscuit
    I park my car down the street from the BJJ school I attend (Rigan Machado's in Redondo Beach) and walking to the school I pass this head shop with a big Zendoryu ad in the window. I wonder if they get stoned first and then train?
    That would explain it then..:laughing1

Posted On:
    2/09/2008 10:43am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ZENDORYU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

skornia zendoryu

I trained with Phil Skornia for 5 years (white to brown belt), and had to quit because of so many injuries: 4 back surgeries, 3 shoulder surgeries, 1 knee surgery, 1 broken metacarpul. This got to be a lot for a business man in his mid 40s. My wife got tired of visiting me in the hospital.

I remember listenning to him speak about his life and prior training and the people he trained with and had to roll my eyes a little. But over the years watching him teach and demonstrate, and turn out new blackbelts I had to conclude he is the real deal. That was 10 years ago, and he had to be in his mid 60s. I think he is still teaching somewhere. I am trying to find him which is how I fell into this forum .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2008 3:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awright ! I am back online !:new_smile

Yoga Man !

Thank you for responding to this thread. I have a several questions that requires his attention regarding his claims. All these questions are cut from his website.

The site in question: http://zendoryukarate.com/

Website Quote - No. 1:

Master Skornia is a pioneer and a living legend in developing traditional karate in America for the last half of a century.
    Question:

Who gave him this distinction ?

Website Quote -No. 2:

Master Skornia is a direct descendant Zen Priest of the Shaolin Temple.

Question:

How ? His photo on his website shows him to be a caucasian. How did he become a DIRECT decendant of a Shaolin Priest unless Skornia is 1000 years old ?

Website Quote - No. 3:

He was an honored guest of the 1500-year anniversary of the Shaolin Temple in 1995
    Question:

Was he personaly invited by the Chinese Goverment, if so does he still have that invitation ? or was he merely part of a promotional tour group sponsored by the Chinese goverment.

Website Quote - No. 4:

1961 All Japan Karate Association Black Belt Champion
    Question:

When and where exactly was this "tournament" ? Who sanctioned it ? Is there any records that verifies the existence of these "tournaments" ?

Website Quote - No. 5:

fought over 1000 matches during his ten-year competition career in Asia.
    Questions:

What were these competitions ? Point sparring ? Full contact ?. Can you provide names of least 20 people he has fought against ? What were his records Win ? Lose ? Draw ? and finally, where and what year was this "tournaments" held ?

Website Quote - No. 6:

Prof. Skornia has taught for several Los Angeles colleges, and was named Professor of Martial Arts and Oriental Philosophy for the University of Budo Science
    Questions:

Where is this University of Budo Science ? Can you provide a contact information for verification purpose ?

Website Quote - No. 7:

He was inducted into the "Hall of Fame" as Master of the Year, 2004, by the U.S.A. Martial Arts Organization.
    Questions:

There are several MA organizations bearing this name. Which one is it ? What nomination process was used to determined Skornia as Master of the Year ? Who nominated him and Who is the President of the USA Martial Arts Organization ?.

Website Quote- No. 8:

Skornia, who holds a Ph.D in Oriental Philosophy
    Questions:

What state and governing body gave him this Doctorate degree ? Is his Phd. even accredited and recognized ?

Website Quote - No.9:

Later, he was to travel to China to train in Ch'uan-Fa Kung Fu, first to Taiwan and twenty-five years later to mainland China,
    Question:

Did it happen ? Did he go ? If not, why post this statement on the website ?

Website Quote - No.10:

He trained in several cities and at the original Shaolin Temple itself, outside of Xian.
    Questions:

Can you provide names of one of the city or Shaolin Temple instructors he trained with in China ?

Thanks Yoga man. There are more, but let's start with the easier ones.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2008 3:28pm

Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What was a Japanese zen priest doing in a Chinese shaolin monestary?

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    7/03/2008 3:40pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As someone who is a direct decendent of a Zen priest...this guy just hit #1 on my **** list. Get me everything you have on him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2008 3:43pm

Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant108
    As someone who is a direct decendent of a Zen priest...this guy just hit #1 on my **** list. Get me everything you have on him.
    It's amazing how stupid con men associate zen priests/monks and the martial arts. At least get it right and lie about being a descendant of a yambushi.
    Last edited by A.M.; 7/03/2008 3:46pm at .

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    7/03/2008 4:01pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fucking David Carradine...

I get tired of people co-opting my religion for ego & profit.

Posted On:
    7/03/2008 4:09pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant108
    Fucking David Carradine...

I get tired of people co-opting my religion for ego & profit.
    So you're a 'professional Buddhist' ?

Does that mean you get paid to be a Buddhist? Or do just do Buddhist consulting on the side?

:)
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast