Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 11:43pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Phillip Skornia and the Shorinji Zendo-Ryu Karate

I went to check them out the other day, and it seems like a decent group. However, I went online and I found several statements in which I considered Bullshido factor:

First Bullshido Factor::

The complete history, 2000 years of descendance of Shorinji Zendo-ryu Karate, is available in book form for purchase

Link Source: http://www.zendoryu.50megs.com/about.html

Don't get me wrong , but how come I never hear of Shorinji Zendo-Ryu Karate system , up until I found one of their ad in a Smoke Shop ?

Second Bullshido Factor:

Prof. Phillip M. Skornia, 9th Degree Black Belt with over 50 years of experience. He is one of the foremost recognized martial arts authorities in the world.

Link Source:http://www.zendoryu.50megs.com/custom2.html
    I asked around and no seems to know who gave him his rank. I know who my TKD's instructor teachers were. It seems odd to me. I asked several friends here who trained in Shotokan and they never heard of this guy.

Third Bullshido Factor:

Professor Skornia fought for ten years in Japan, Okinawa, China and South Asia in over 1,000 matches.
    He has had both knees dislocated, nearly lost an eye, had his feet broken six times, plus several other injuries.
    Link Source:http://www.zendoryu.50megs.com/custom2.html

Can anyone say Frank Dux ?

Has anyone else dealth with this dude in the past ?

I'll add more later...This is Bullshido in the making !

Peace out !
    Last edited by hate2beU; 2/14/2006 11:46pm at .

Posted On:
    2/15/2006 1:22am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ****, that's the guy Eddie Bravo studied under before he got into BJJ!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2006 1:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DuckofDeath
    ****, that's the guy Eddie Bravo studied under before he got into BJJ!

Really ? So this Skornea dude is some sort of full contact fighter ?

Posted On:
    2/15/2006 2:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hate2beU
    Really ? So this Skornea dude is some sort of full contact fighter ?
    No--Bravo got bullshidoed by him as a lad. Check out pages 1-3 of Bravo's Jiu-Jitsu Unleashed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2006 3:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No--Bravo got bullshidoed by him as a lad. Check out pages 1-3 of Bravo's Jiu-Jitsu Unleashed.

I'll have to run to my nearest bookstore then, I don't have that book. Can you tell me what it sez thought ...pleeease.. :icon_boun
    Last edited by hate2beU; 2/15/2006 3:17am at .

Posted On:
    2/15/2006 4:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hate2beU
    I'll have to run to my nearest bookstore then, I don't have that book. Can you tell me what it sez thought ...pleeease.. :icon_boun
    Bravo mentions that as a lad he wanted to get into martial arts, so he looked in the phone book for the nearest school, and it was Prof. Skornia's. He learned all the deadly karate stuff, and his friends held him in awe. At a concert, some badass was pushing people around, so Bravo's friends went to fetch Bravo, who was in the restroom. Bravo confidently strode out to confront the badass, but he had since left.

Looking back in retrospect, Bravo mused, "Thank God I never found him. I mean, come on, who is just going to stand there while I gather my chi for an overhand knife strike? He would have punched me square in the nose and I would have gone down..."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2006 4:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bravo mentions that as a lad he wanted to get into martial arts, so he looked in the phone book for the nearest school, and it was Prof. Skornia's. He learned all the deadly karate stuff, and his friends held him in awe. At a concert, some badass was pushing people around, so Bravo's friends went to fetch Bravo, who was in the restroom. Bravo confidently strode out to confront the badass, but he had since left.

Looking back in retrospect, Bravo mused, "Thank God I never found him. I mean, come on, who is just going to stand there while I gather my chi for an overhand knife strike? He would have punched me square in the nose and I would have gone down..."

Oh Jeez, That's a good one ! I did noticed that they seems to exaggerate thier chambering position in every techniques. They were doing some roundhouse kicks and frankly, chambering the knee 90 degree angle to the side is gonna get me killed or at least suffer from hernia...lol :icon_roll

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 9:42am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *hates admitting he occasionally reads Black Belt Magazine....hangs head in shame*

They had an entire article about that Skornia guy in last month's issue of Black Belt...I read it on my plane trip to Hawaii (12 hours of flying makes you do crazy things...and that's the only MA-related mag they had in the airport bookstore)...I was like, "Skornia, skornia...where have I read that before?"...whipped out my Eddie Bravo book (the first one...not the Mastering Rubber Guard one) and bam, there it was...Skornia was indeed the guy who sold Bravo some magic beans when he first started MA's...

The article was CRAZY retarded and made it very apparent that bullshidokas are jumping on the MMA bandwagon...b/c he claims hi-s system is a combination of hard/soft styles from Aikido and Karate...blah blah blah...so that makes it a "mixed martial art"!...

And WOW...he's had over 1000 fights?! That's more than Rickson (errrm...not sure I'd say these are all like...straight up fights) and Ramon Dekkers (300 legitimate fights) combined!

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 11:23am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaChinkOfSteel
    *hates admitting he occasionally reads Black Belt Magazine....hangs head in shame*

They had an entire article about that Skornia guy in last month's issue of Black Belt...I read it on my plane trip to Hawaii (12 hours of flying makes you do crazy things...and that's the only MA-related mag they had in the airport bookstore)...I was like, "Skornia, skornia...where have I read that before?"...whipped out my Eddie Bravo book (the first one...not the Mastering Rubber Guard one) and bam, there it was...Skornia was indeed the guy who sold Bravo some magic beans when he first started MA's...

The article was CRAZY retarded and made it very apparent that bullshidokas are jumping on the MMA bandwagon...b/c he claims hi-s system is a combination of hard/soft styles from Aikido and Karate...blah blah blah...so that makes it a "mixed martial art"!...

And WOW...he's had over 1000 fights?! That's more than Rickson (errrm...not sure I'd say these are all like...straight up fights) and Ramon Dekkers (300 legitimate fights) combined!
    Then I must hang my head in shame. It's weird actually. It's like watching a car accident. You know you shouldn't look at the carnage but you can't help it. It's the same with BB Mag. You know that you are going to find 96 B.S. and about 2 percent quality stuff (note: percentages have about a 2 percent error rate).

One problem is the very liberal use of the word fight. An example being that I could say that I've had over 10 fights. The thing is, I would be counting all the fights I've gotten into while I was a kid. Once you start asking the hard questions like what type of fights. Were there rulesets involved? Were they challenge matches? Were they sparring matches? Were they demostations? After a while, those numbers start to increasingly shrink from 1000 fights to "a few point sparring tournaments where the highest I placed was 3rd in a field or 4 people!"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 3:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaChinkOfSteel

I saw it too ! I have never seen so much bullcrap out of one article. I find strange when he claims that "Shorinji Zendoryu Karate" is 1500 yaers old. I know some people who are training in Japan and Okinawa and they have never heard of the art.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast