228231 Bullies, 4344 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    9/20/2006 1:38pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...Because of that(see my comments above), it makes the program very "McDojo-ish" in my opinion. Not trying to dog you out or anything but just telling you the facts. The guys I work out with have the same experience as me, they make good training partners but not someone I would consider for full time instruction.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    9/20/2006 2:12pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    7 months, 6 days, 21.5 hours (more or less).

Then a PMA rep showed up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2006 4:48pm

Style: KARATE/KICK BOXING

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please dont think he is a rep for PMA,Just an over enthusiastic young man with an over inflated sense of his own importance.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/20/2006 5:21pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottydangerous
    Mcdojo is a really lame term. So stop branding things you don't even know about with that stupid fucking label.
    What's lame about the term? Of course a better question is if it doesn't apply to your school, why be so defensive about it? On the other hand, if the shoe fits...

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/20/2006 11:43pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am a PMA school owner. As with anything there are good and bad. For the most part PMA offers a lot of different programs that most people are interested in. What is great about PMA is that it is trying to combat the McDojo philosophy and offer "real" training. Right now PMA is young, but has a lot of talent. Each school varies on its technical expertise, but is continually improving the quality of instruction at all of its schools.

As with anything if you are going to invest your time and money, do your homework. You cannot adequately judge the entire organization from one instructor or location. It would be like saying Gracie Jiu-jitsu sucks based on Royce's fight with Hughs.

Again there is a lot of talent in the PMA organization.
    Anyone in the OKC area can come by the Edmond location and check us out.

respectfully,

J. Epps

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    9/21/2006 2:48am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for responding Mr Epps. A question though. To be a PMA school/affiliate/whatever, assuming you already owned a school, do you have to change your curriculum, or add to it? Do they run you through a crash course on grappling so that you can teach that as part of your ranking syllabus?
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2006 4:27am

Style: Hiatus for Gen. Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    McDojo-ism isn't a sin; it can be, but it isn't one inherently. If a dojo management system or program allows real schools to make money without watering down their training, how is this bad? Granted, it becomes bullshido if the increased money triggers the greed receptors and causes the school to add classes that they are not qualified to teach in hopes of gaining more revenue, but that is an individual choice of each school owner.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2006 8:57am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu / JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thats the thing I was worried about. I see these schools suddlenly change over from what they were TKD, kung fu, whatever and in no time they are teaching all kinds of stuff grappling, kick boxing, escrima.
    There is no way they are quallifed to teach that in such a short time. Its like alot of these franchise martial arts place you train a week or two and are now quallifed to be a instructor. Ok, fine then how come it takes your students years to become that quallifed?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2006 11:23am

Style: Koei-Kan, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by buu
    I am a PMA school owner. As with anything there are good and bad. For the most part PMA offers a lot of different programs that most people are interested in. What is great about PMA is that it is trying to combat the McDojo philosophy and offer "real" training. Right now PMA is young, but has a lot of talent. Each school varies on its technical expertise, but is continually improving the quality of instruction at all of its schools.

As with anything if you are going to invest your time and money, do your homework. You cannot adequately judge the entire organization from one instructor or location. It would be like saying Gracie Jiu-jitsu sucks based on Royce's fight with Hughs.

Again there is a lot of talent in the PMA organization.
    Anyone in the OKC area can come by the Edmond location and check us out.

respectfully,

J. Epps
    What you wrote is true about every place. I agree. However, your post brings up some questions:

Does PMA standardize it's curriculum between schools? Does it standardize the requirements for its instructors and those that represent it? If so, how would PMA explain a person with 2 years training 1)being a black belt and 2)being allowed to participate in training and be certified to teach to the black belt level?

I suck Rudy Abel's Dick, I love the taste.

Posted On:
    9/21/2006 3:44pm

Style: Traditional TKD

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think this wanker is behind the PMA megalith:

http://www.newyorkkarate.us/staff.html

He is not Bullshido, because he makes no exaggerated claims about his credentials to run a martial arts school. In fact, HE MAKES NO (ZERO!) MENTION ABOUT WHAT HIS CREDENTIALS ARE. This is simply runaway, unbridled, unrepenent, McDojo-ism.

Read the story. He used to study TKD. Had a job. Quit it. Was walking around Manhattan one day looking for a job, saw a storefront and decided it was a good place for a TKD school. That's it. Doesn't claim to be any kind of expert, dan holder, champion of this or that. One day he just decided to open a TKD school because he needed a job and people came.

In fact, several months ago I wrote him a very respectful e-mail asking him just what his credentials were to be running a TKD school. He never answered.

Just go through the website. All he talks about is how successful he is as a businessman. Not as a martial artist. Just as a businessman.

His instructors do not have much going for them either. About the best I've seen is a former Jhoon Rhee black belt who once had a NASKA rating. He has job postings for instructors, which basically say "no experience needed."

He has three schools in Manhattan. One one page he shows one promotion exam where he tested 350 students. I'm guessing he may have as many as 700 students. Do the math. 700 students at about $100 a month, plus test fees, BB clubs, assorted McDojo horseshit fees ... he's taking in about $1 million a year!

I was reading the students' forum, and they were raving about one instructor who was so good because he was the only one who could remember all the forms. UGH! Like that's a good thing for a school???

This wanker seems to have bought up all the domain names for "New York" "Tae Kwon Do" "karate" "martial arts" "Manhattan" "TKD" combinations. Do a Google on him. He's everywhere.

It's kind of hard to navigate around all the sites. But there's some real doozy McDojo **** to be seen.

Anyone associated with him through Premier Martial Arts I would consider a wanker by association.
    Last edited by emboesso; 9/21/2006 4:01pm at .
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast