He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 6:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    Actually I have first hand information on this group. Some good stuff for school owners. Mcdojo? They don't ask you to water down your stuff if that's what you mean. Just basic business management information. Take it as it is.
    Sounds like a McDojo.Looks like a McDojo.It's a freaking McDojo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 3:29am

Style: KARATE/KICK BOXING

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I meant to add to my last post that what I decribed didn`t sound like the attitude and manner of what people would generally think of as a McDojo.
    Also what exactly is the problem of running a business and making a profit?

No longer a Kaju-Critic

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 3:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Kajukenbo, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mcdojoism can lead straight into bullshidoism

Example: School starts off has a hardcore school. Low student count means the instructor starts reaching out for methods of better student enrollment+retention. Everythings fine and dandy.

Instructor now see's that he can not only live off his school, but go a step further and want to totally score cash and get the good life from his school. He knows that alot of people aren't willing to go hard contact or even medium contact, so he takes those elements out of his school to increase enrollment. Maybe its a striking art school. he knows grappling is popular so he attends a seminar on grappling and then starts teaching grappling classes (or worse, anti grappling classes). In the end, all aims of the school switch to things that will make money, not work. Hence bullshido.

For anyone who wants to have a professional school, from what I've seen, you've got to constantly be walking the line. A step too far on side can mean a dirt poor instructor, or a step too far on the other side could mean a BS school. They want to be, obviously, somewhere in he middle where they are making money that supports the school (and the goal for alot of people I'm guessing, to support themselves) but where what they are learning are producing quality students.

Its the reason why a BJJ instructor could be charging an arm and a leg, and in the same city a no contact style TKD school could be charging the same amount.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2006 5:29am

Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, I've been an instuctor for a pma school for the past year... I've gone through all of the instructor certification through blackbelt...

PMA Is a school for everyone.

From your little kids, to your adults seeking good easy learning self defense technique

Mcdojo is a really lame term. So stop branding things you don't even know about with that stupid fucking label.

We tought are classes in three mind sets, 1 karate form blah blah, 2 kickboxing grappling, used for sport, 3 self defence KILL KILL KILL....

Yes I agree with you, THERE ARE DIRT POOR INSTRUCTORS!
    Infact, not to be bragging or anything.. I've been doing martial arts for about 2 years.

And serisouly after training not even 1 year, I showed up at the training certifications, and my knowledge base and skill level exceded probably most every other black belt that was their(And I haden't even received a black belt yet). I had head instructors for PMA Wanting me to teach at there school!! Yes, People like ernie kirk, jeff jimmo... But that doesn't really matter

Besides the fact. Our PMA was a good school, And they did teach VERY GOOD GRAPPLING, and very good kickboxing, And very good self defense

Our school in utah, Actually has pedro sauer jui jitsu intructors teach a class every saturday. And they actually hold fight classes.

As instructors we were expected to train Everyday.

Im absolutely sure, that our school was tought diffrent than other pma schools...

PMA is a FRANCHISE, So anyone with any previous martial art skill or criteria can take the instructor college, and open a school.

PMA is a great school for Kids, And adults wanting to learn SOME self defence.

But is NOT a pure hard core mma training center.

It is based for kids as the income... And we did teach very good stuff. No bullcrap... And when we did teach sport karate, we made sure to specify that it will not work in an actually situation or confrontation. That's what dirty fighting is for, and yes we tought that also.

PMA is based on taking the best tecniques from all styles and melting them together..... From krav maga, or krap maga whatever you idiots call it.. To Brazilian jui jitsu... through Sambo, and Judo..

It's probably the best Well rounded School for kids You are going to find....

Yes, They do sport karate, But also yes they do kickboxing, Grappling, kali escrima, krav maga.... And yes, they do weapons also....

Martial arts isn't just about Beating the **** out of people, it's about having fun, and learning diffrent skills.... MMA is for beating the **** out of poeple.

Anywayes, I stopped teaching there, And I now train at MMA at LA boxing... fancy that? It is to each there own... if I had kids, I would check into a pma school. But I would make sure the quality of instruction is up to par with what i would consider usefull

That's just my 2 cents

Scott.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2006 6:40am

Style: Koei-Kan, Aikido

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by scottydangerous
    Infact, not to be bragging or anything.. I've been doing martial arts for about 2 years.
    You've been "doing" martial arts for 2 years and you have gone through all of the instructor courses including black belt? No. You're not bragging. You are, however, making the point for us. At 2 years you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground. What makes you think you know squat about what is good and what isn't?

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    9/20/2006 11:00am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    McDojoism is a gateway drug to BS....I love it :P
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2006 12:41pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey **** you, I just happen to be in the right place at the right time.... If you think fucking brazilian jui jitsu and kick boxing is ****, THEN YOUR A FUCKING IDIOT!

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/20/2006 12:52pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottydangerous
    Hey **** you, I just happen to be in the right place at the right time.... If you think fucking brazilian jui jitsu and kick boxing is ****, THEN YOUR A FUCKING IDIOT!
    You are, what? 15 or so?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2006 1:17pm

Style: TSD-MDK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, you must be in a good mood Anthony. I was thinking 12.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    9/20/2006 1:33pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottydangerous
    Hey, I've been an instuctor for a pma school for the past year... I've gone through all of the instructor certification through blackbelt...

PMA Is a school for everyone.

From your little kids, to your adults seeking good easy learning self defense technique

Mcdojo is a really lame term. So stop branding things you don't even know about with that stupid fucking label.

We tought are classes in three mind sets, 1 karate form blah blah, 2 kickboxing grappling, used for sport, 3 self defence KILL KILL KILL....

Yes I agree with you, THERE ARE DIRT POOR INSTRUCTORS!

And serisouly after training not even 1 year, I showed up at the training certifications, and my knowledge base and skill level exceded probably most every other black belt that was their(And I haden't even received a black belt yet). I had head instructors for PMA Wanting me to teach at there school!! Yes, People like ernie kirk, jeff jimmo... But that doesn't really matter

Besides the fact. Our PMA was a good school, And they did teach VERY GOOD GRAPPLING, and very good kickboxing, And very good self defense

Our school in utah, Actually has pedro sauer jui jitsu intructors teach a class every saturday. And they actually hold fight classes.

As instructors we were expected to train Everyday.

Im absolutely sure, that our school was tought diffrent than other pma schools...

PMA is a FRANCHISE, So anyone with any previous martial art skill or criteria can take the instructor college, and open a school.

PMA is a great school for Kids, And adults wanting to learn SOME self defence.

But is NOT a pure hard core mma training center.

It is based for kids as the income... And we did teach very good stuff. No bullcrap... And when we did teach sport karate, we made sure to specify that it will not work in an actually situation or confrontation. That's what dirty fighting is for, and yes we tought that also.

PMA is based on taking the best tecniques from all styles and melting them together..... From krav maga, or krap maga whatever you idiots call it.. To Brazilian jui jitsu... through Sambo, and Judo..

It's probably the best Well rounded School for kids You are going to find....

Yes, They do sport karate, But also yes they do kickboxing, Grappling, kali escrima, krav maga.... And yes, they do weapons also....

Martial arts isn't just about Beating the **** out of people, it's about having fun, and learning diffrent skills.... MMA is for beating the **** out of poeple.

Anywayes, I stopped teaching there, And I now train at MMA at LA boxing... fancy that? It is to each there own... if I had kids, I would check into a pma school. But I would make sure the quality of instruction is up to par with what i would consider usefull

That's just my 2 cents

Scott.

If that's your 2 cents, you have a nickle in change coming. Martial Arts for 2 years and you are an instructor. I've been doing it for about 18 months total(as you can see from my sig; I put it out there for everyone to see) and I am nowhere close to being qualified enough to teach. You might know enough to teach basics to beginners but you are not qualified to teach me let alone anyone else at my skill level. You are qualified to be a good training partner that I can learn from, but not an instructor who can impart a lot of knowlege for someone who is inexperienced.
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast