233586 Bullies, 3518 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61213141516 1718 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    4/18/2007 2:57pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the answers. I also am curious about one thing; that being the curriculum itself and also PMA's take on the curriculum. As was mentioned earlier in this thread (don't remember were, you will have to read some posts before you started posting here) an instructor was "let go" because he didn't attend a weekend MMA course that was being held. I'm not sure if it was being held by the Armory or someone else; Sambosteve can feel you in on more information.

This brings up the point of qualified MMA instructors who work for PMA but don't jump on the Armory MMA approach being terminated because of this. The fact is, if I'm already a fighter working out of a school and someone told me I need to go to an "MMA training seminar", I would look at them like they were stupid. That's like being a BJJ instructor who has competed and won in BJJ, and being told by the school who hired you that you need to go to the some BJJ seminar for training or else you can't teach anymore. It spits on the accomplishments of that individual.

I understand the concept of, "you have to do our training to teach at our schools..." but at the same time, I see that as PMA's way to make sure they can get rid of instructors whose programs they don't currently have complete control over with ones they do. After all, PMA gets paid (in orther ways as well) by standardization of a curriculum that they can teach in mass to get the most amount of instructors certified so they can send them out there to teach and earn money for PMA.

I actually can't wait for that to happen, it would mean there are a bunch of fighters out there who are pretty much taught a specific system. All people would need to do is find the flaws in the teaching and training and exploit them. You could basically build your MMA career of beating up PMA MMA teachers because they would all be doing the same thing. This last paragraph, mind you, is a worse case scenario and something that just happened to cross my mind as the time of this writing.

Again, thanks for being very forthcoming with all the infromation.

Posted On:
    4/18/2007 7:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Our instructional is a guideline, all we can do is put out the content and suggest it as a basis for MMA programs. It is not intended to be gospel. There are some MMA schools that we have been exposed to that have very good MMA instructors and will most likely contribute to the development of the program.

Joe

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2007 5:23pm

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey;
    Do any of you guys realize that the letters "PMA" are copyrighted when referring to martial arts. You can even look it up at the government trademark site The person who owns the copyright is a guy who Vanover studied under after he was already a black belt. He has a web site at www.pmaknoxville.com It looks to me that Vanover is trying to copy what this guy has done. Take a look

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    4/20/2007 11:52am

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is the same guy. Vanover is the top PMA guy. Armoy is working with them in the MMA project. There are PMA affiliated schools all over the nation, but Vanover started it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2007 3:34pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, its not the same guy. I've visited the gym for www.pmaknoxville.com, and it is not a Premier Martial Arts place. The Premier Martial Arts knoxville is another gym altogether (in fact there are two in the area that are Premier Martial Arts places). The pmaknoxville.com place is Progressive Martial Arts, and its connected to the Progressive Fighting Systems videos.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    4/20/2007 4:33pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhemsley
    Actually, its not the same guy. I've visited the gym for www.pmaknoxville.com, and it is not a Premier Martial Arts place. The Premier Martial Arts knoxville is another gym altogether (in fact there are two in the area that are Premier Martial Arts places). The pmaknoxville.com place is Progressive Martial Arts, and its connected to the Progressive Fighting Systems videos.
    Yeah, at least THIS guy has some serious creds:

http://www.pmaknoxville.com/cinstructor.htm

http://www.graciebarra.com/blackbelts.htm

Unlike some at PMA...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2007 4:54pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Severe
    Marketing. chessy and suspect. Great for business, but sounds like McDojo's in the making.

I applied for a job that wanted experienced MA'ists to teach. I went along and it was some Australian Karate oputfit that wanted to come to New Zealand and set up shop. They would teach me their style as long I went door to door selling it. and I would get commission on all fees claimed.
    t.
    OK, I'm a little drunk, and i've only got to page 4 in this thread, but this really struck a chord. I spent a year in Australia, and, hard up for cash, i responded to an advert for a similar setup that severe is talking about. I have ben raining for about 8-9 years, but in various ma's, and the guy who interviewed me said I could become an instructor by training with them for two year AND selling door to door, and when I went back home (to Ireland) I could open my own school, as long as I taught what they sold.
    Anyway, as I said, I'm drunk, so sorry for the post

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    4/20/2007 8:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I mis read your post...
    So VanOver was this other PMA guy's student?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2007 10:24am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, he could have been a seminar student. The website lists him under the heading "full time, part time, or seminar students," so its hard to tell what the relationship is.

Maybe Kempodude has more information on him. I'm actually new to the martial arts scene, and the beginning of my training has been delayed from an injury in another sport.

But after many hours of research on where to train martial arts in the area (and the Progressive Martial Arts instructor specifically), visiting a couple of gyms, and reading the guidlelines for selecting a gym on this website I decided on the Progressive Martial Arts place in Knoxville (its actually in Oak Ridge, which is about 15 minutes from West Knoxville).

In fairness to the Premier Martial Arts place, and program in the area, I don't think it necessarily a terrible place, at least locally. My nieces go there, and my Brother has been happy with the place.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    4/21/2007 2:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In fairness to the Premier Martial Arts place, and program in the area, I don't think it necessarily a terrible place, at least locally. My nieces go there, and my Brother has been happy with the place.
    That is good to hear. Like I said earlier, I think it is hit or miss with PMA...depending on the teachers and their backgrounds. I would suspect that the home gym would be good.