225234 Bullies, 4373 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12131415 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I suck Rudy Abel's Dick, I love the taste.

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 6:51am

Style: Traditional TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well Steve, thanks for verifying just about everything I said.

I thought he was somehow affiliated with Richard Chun because prior to going PMA I thought I saw his school wearing Richard Chun patches. This guy obviously has no qualifications to oversee the curriculum his school is teaching. Which can only lead to the conclusion that PMA has no quality control standards.

I wish I knew a few Richard Chun students. They could probably give us an earful. That'll probably be the next phase of this expose.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 11:05am

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think he left Chun like 8-10 years ago. His 3 schools were not Chun affiliates. For the year I was renting from him, there were no indications that there was any relation to Chun. I only knew that Mario originally trained with him (I think).

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 11:12am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think this link is the best example of what PMA is really about:

http://www.pmaschools.com/index.cfm?page=16

PMA Career Opportunities

Are you interested in an exciting career in the martial arts? Empowering people in your community through self-defense, personal development, and physical fitness? Would you like to make a potential six figure income while doing what you love for a living?

Premier Martial Arts career placement program gives opportunities for employment from our many nationwide locations. Our staff training program makes it easy for you to gain the knowledge needed to become a martial arts professionals. We are currently looking for highly motivated individuals that would like positions in the exciting and rewarding field of martial arts!
    Edit: Bold print denotes my point.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 3:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I recall when Mario first got hooked up with PMA, he told me that he was told the founder (Greg Silva) had a Black Belt in Sambo and asked if I had ever heard of him. I did extensive searching on this and nobody I knew ever heard of him. He does not list this credential on his website though.

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 3:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sambosteve
    I recall when Mario first got hooked up with PMA, he told me that he was told the founder (Greg Silva) had a Black Belt in Sambo and asked if I had ever heard of him. I did extensive searching on this and nobody I knew ever heard of him. He does not list this credential on his website though.
    Yeah, I remember on the other thread you helped me out with that a Sambo black belt can be a very subjective thing.

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 5:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The school on 86th Street is Richard Chun's old school. I guess the old guy retired and sold out to Mario.

Did he promote people to black belt in his school? And beyond that?

Because if he is only a 1st or 2nd dan, on what basis did he promote people? And what authority is PMA giving him to promote people? What rank did they give/sell to him?

Here's some real Premier Martial Arts fun. XMA demos are so much more fun when people forget their forms and fall down in the middle of the demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjl2O9pagLE

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 6:35pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by emboesso
    The school on 86th Street is Richard Chun's old school. I guess the old guy retired and sold out to Mario.

Because if he is only a 1st or 2nd dan, on what basis did he promote people? And what authority is PMA giving him to promote people? What rank did they give/sell to him?

Here's some real Premier Martial Arts fun. XMA demos are so much more fun when people forget their forms and fall down in the middle of the demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjl2O9pagLE
    Actually if you check back a few pages, I think it's page 10, we find the answer for that. Here it is:

Quote Originally Posted by matt antkowiak
    Hey guy glad to see you on another thread!

Let me start with my comment about bashing individuals. I was not targeting your last post. I think it would be more honorable to contact people that are brought up on this site in threads to give them a chance to anwser questions about thier school, system or background. That just seems to make sense to me.

As for the questions listed. I will start with #2 and come back to #1.

2) As a PMA school owner, you are given one year to complete 4 curriculum colleges. These colleges are 3 days events of approx. 8 hour days (approx. 24 hours total). Each college covers a different levels of instructor certifications. They are broken down by White Belt and Basic Curriculum, Intermediate Curriculum, Advanced/Black Belt Curriculum, and Advanced Black Belt. After completing a college, You have 3 months to improve on the skils taught with self practice (there are DVDs of the curriculum provided at each college). Then you test at the beginning of the next college. That test certifies you to teach up to that level of the curriculum. Everyone does not pass every time.

3) If you choose to test with PMA International, they offer a testing board. The Black Belt awarded would be a Black Belt in PMA.

4) I test with my old instructor. The students I test and certify have the oppurtunity to also go in front of a PMA board after that if they choose. None have yet. I also have not tested for a Premier Black Belt yet. I have completed all of the colleges. Three of my current Black Belt Instructors have been to the colleges.

1) I teach the Black Belt Classes, Weapon Classes, and Fighting Classes. I have my Black Belts share the rest of the classes. Our core classes are PMA curriculum. We test the students on the PMA curriculum and the additions we have made to it. The PMA curriculum is solid but it was not as complete as I wanted it to be so I have added to it.

Hope this posts clears up some stuff. Hey what style do you all teach at your school?

Matt
    Here is the sad thing about this. Martial arts such as BJJ have pretty good credibility for their grappling skills. What if I applied the PMA format to getting certified in PMA to say, BJJ? Most instructors have a curriculum for advancement to each rank. If I apply this to BJJ and I can perform the techniques in the static manner that the PMA testing seems to require then I can get my BJJ black belt in a couple of months to a year or two.

Why, you ask, is that not done? Simple. One, BJJ is brutal when it comes to self regulation. Two, resistance. You get your rank, not by just performing a technique and performing it to perfection. You EARN your rank by being able to apply those techniques consistantly against a resisting opponent.

Ok, ok, nuthugging here. But we all get the point. What is that point? Quality control. There doesn't seem to be any whatsoever. From the looks of the system. All you need to do is be able to peform the moves in such a way that you LOOK like you know what you are doing, pay some money, recieve your black belt in PMA, enjoy the fruits of their marketing, and last but not lease, install that hot tub in the house you just built with all the money you are now making. Oh, and lets not forget, **** hot chicks...cause anyone who's ever done Capoeira or TKD know, martial arts is all about fucking hot chicks!

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 7:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine
    What is that point? Quality control. There doesn't seem to be any whatsoever. From the looks of the system. All you need to do is be able to peform the moves in such a way that you LOOK like you know what you are doing, pay some money, recieve your black belt in PMA, enjoy the fruits of their marketing
    I doubt this Mario guy will even put himself through the rigors of the few required classes, judging by the way Steve describes him. Maybe he'll fluff it off onto his instructors. Or maybe not. Maybe he'll just use the marketing and issue bogus TKD ranks.

He couldn't even get serious ranking in WTF TKD from Richard Chun. I've seen WTF guys who've been alive fewer years than I've been practising TKD who outrank me!

and last but not lease, install that hot tub in the house you just built with all the money you are now making. Oh, and lets not forget, **** hot chicks...cause anyone who's ever done Capoeira or TKD know, martial arts is all about fucking hot chicks!
    Beats rolling around with sweaty men. :toothy11:

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 8:09pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by emboesso
    Beats rolling around with sweaty men. :toothy11:
    So sad, yet so true. That's why when I start teaching BJJ (which I would like to do someday, probably something along the lines of 3-5 years after recieving my black belt), I will like to teach at a place that does Cap. You've done TKD for years, who has the hotest chicks, Cap or TDK? I'd figure that Cap at least has the more fit hot chicks.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    1/19/2007 3:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know. But, most of his staff were black belts when he hired them. Not from his program.

I doubt this Mario guy will even put himself through the rigors of the few required classes,
    I think he will take the classes, it is required. Will he practice and train the techniques the rest of the year? That is a more accurate question...I doubt it.

I do recall hearing that he bought that school out. I did not realize it was Chun's though.
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12131415 ... LastLast