Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 4:08pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu / JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Premier Martial Arts

Ok so Ive been hearing some rumbelings about these guys lately.
    http://www.pmaschools.com
    A local Hapkido is now one of these schools and it seems like its spreading.

The Vice president is Barry Van Over who neglects to give any information on what his training is other than he began his study of the martial arts in 1975 at the age of nine years old. And that he created the first Karate Team for the University of Kentucky in 1985. ( He was a Shaolin-Do student is what I was told by some of the Shaolin old timers I know.)
    Anyway this reeks of complete bullshido to me. It sounds like another version of xma but trying to sound more hard core.

Any of you guys got any more info or input on this. I dont consider myself a good enoughf investigator

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 4:13pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Baator-Steel
    Ok so Ive been hearing some rumbelings about these guys lately.
    http://www.pmaschools.com
    A local Hapkido is now one of these schools and it seems like its spreading.

The Vice president is Barry Van Over who neglects to give any information on what his training is other than he began his study of the martial arts in 1975 at the age of nine years old. And that he created the first Karate Team for the University of Kentucky in 1985. ( He was a Shaolin-Do student is what I was told by some of the Shaolin old timers I know.)
    Anyway this reeks of complete bullshido to me. It sounds like another version of xma but trying to sound more hard core.

Any of you guys got any more info or input on this. I dont consider myself a good enoughf investigator

Hmmmm Van Over as in Bend Over ? Enough said :smile:

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 4:14pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    looks like another buzzword fu art.

The more people learn about what arts are mostly mcdojo/bullshido the more the mcdojo/bullshido makers will turn to the arts in favor at the moment and make them mcdojo/bullshido.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 4:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.knoxvillema.com/index.cfm?page=13 aww they do birthday parties.

"Kids have fun while they learn safe basic karate skills. One of which is a "Black Belt Listening Skill" "

Guys check the locations map its pretty spread out...... Shiver.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 4:29pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    looks like another buzzword fu art.
    "This is a thirty six month program that teaches our students not only the basics of martial arts, but all of the techniques that are necessary to one day become a black belt."

Is there a contract involved? lol

Knee + Head = Black Eye * 2

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 5:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They teach kickboxing in what appears to be a live manner (at least in the video brochure it looked live). Their "submission grappling" looked like crappling, but there wasn't much footage with which to make a firm decision. I'd say without a doubt this is a McDojo, but whether or not it's Bullshido is not clear from the website.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    Imagine if track was run like the martial arts community. While the winning teams would just sprint down the field, smoking the competition, you'd have a bunch of losers running around explaining how they can skip down the track just as fast. Never mind that it doesn't fucking work. Oh no, they're too fast for track. They run on the STREET.

No longer a Kaju-Critic

Posted On:
    2/15/2006 3:48am

supporting member
     Style: Kajukenbo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually got the chance to see some of the PMA stuff in action. I visited a florida martial arts *related* event and they had some booths and junk there. The only thing I can really comment on is that its a STEP in the right direction on the part of TMA. There are legit kickboxers , legit grapplers and amateur MMA (all active) guys involved with this program - a few of which were there. How it will actually end up of course is questionable, but I dont think the program has been around that long. I chalked it up to this personally: what would you rather see the local mcdojo teaching? Point sparring and how to make your horse stance stronger, or basic grappling/kickboxing? Mcdojo schools will always exist - what would YOU personally rather see?

I got to talk to an MMA guy who was there. He worked with me on some swimming, and gave a neat shrimping-triangle drill. What I was probably most impressed about with though was his method of teaching children this stuff.

My prediction? Some of these PMA schools will end up being "ok." ALOT of others wont.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/15/2006 4:18am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually I have first hand information on this group. Some good stuff for school owners. Mcdojo? They don't ask you to water down your stuff if that's what you mean. Just basic business management information. Take it as it is.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2006 6:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm, Well sounds fairly ok then. I guess its more kid friendly from what I am hearing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 5:30pm

Style: KARATE/KICK BOXING

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was at a Premier Martial Arts Instructor college last week and the trainer for the kickboxing part of the curriculum made a point of telling us all to find additional training in boxing/kickboxing/grappling. A;so during the training we were told to just call him jeff(his name is jeff jimmo) as he was nothing special and for that day he was our trainer but next week he would be in someones class working on things he didn1t know. The advice he gave us was" if your the best in the class your in the wrong class"
    Allso I was told that as an orhganisation they are planning to put an MMA/Kickboxing team togethewr.
Page 1 of 18 1 234511 ... LastLast