and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 2:29pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon
    Go down to your local YMCA, there should be at least one or two boxing instructors wandering around. Just ask around a bit. A week or so of solid boxing instruction should get you set up to handle most untrained folks.
    Most important thing you can learn is how to punch properly and with confidence.

Kintanon

NO BOXING BULLSHIDO!

Boxing isn't learned overnight. You'd need a few weeks minimum to do anything with it, and even after a full year I couldn't honestly say I'm "good" at it.

This guy is worried about hurting his hand and adrenaline dump. Screw the hand - his head will feel worse. Don't want to get hurt? Don't fight. Simple really. And the rush - well, sorry, nothing but fighting gets you used to it.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 2:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It will take a hell of a lot more than a couple of weeks to make you a decent boxer. Even people who have a year or more of training will still throw arm punches. The key to becoming a good boxer is learning how to generate power from the legs/waist into your blows and being able to fight on angles. If you don't know how to generate significant power and get your weight behind a punch - you don't know how to box.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 2:47pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agreed agreed, but I think 10-12 hours of boxing will give the guy enough of a start to help him out in this specific situation. Even if he just spends 10-12 hours doing straight jabs one after the other correctly that might be enough so that when it hits the fan he throws a real punch that's effective.

Kintanon

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 3:03pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kin - it won't. Not really.

Sure, I was a better puncher after my first day of boxing. After about a month and a half I'd say I was a very good puncher. But like OZZ said, there's a lot more to boxing than just throwing a punch correctly.

So, yeah, a few hours would might make him a bit better especially if he's already a scrapper, a few weeks certainly would make him a bit better, but like anything it takes a lot of time and work to get "good".

Kinda moot for what he asked about anyway.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 3:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    throwin punches against a bag is a COMPLETELY different prospect to throwing them under pressure. couple of weeks wont mean jack **** when someone is trying to take your head off.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 3:27pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Take a week of brazilian jiujitsu and just choke the guy.

You're not going to improve your striking to any real degree on short notice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 4:58pm

Style: Mo-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LMAO at the hockey-fu, football-jitsu, and rugby-do in this thread.
    :icon_thum

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 4:59pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    MrAdam, good search skills!

Don't ask for fight advice on the internet without any personal experience to temper it. Go train in something effective and available to you. If you are unwilling/unable to train then avoid the guy. In fact avoid the guy even after you get some training fighting rarely leads to anything good.
    Word. ^^^ What he said. Most fights are just bullshit slappy-punching with no serious dangers to any of the participants. Really.

MrAdam, just avoid the fucker if you can, and don't go alone without your friends. Assuming the worst case scenario, that this dude is really, really after you, and a lot sooner than a lot later he is going to corner you, and there is a real chance he may actually hurt you in a serious way (not just the slap, punch to the face), then **** the legalities and get yourself one of these (preferably something that fits your hand and fingers well), or a gun. Man up and be ready to rock and roll when **** hits the fan. Not a fun situation, but what the **** else is one to do under those circumstances?

Having said that...

Seriously though, I bet one of my balls that you ran into this guy at a club or some other social gathering place, or some other place where you are not obliged to go (.ie. work), and that it's in this same atmosphere that both of you are likely to run into each other. Am I correct? Am I off the mark?

If so, **** it. Just don't go there. **** clubbing or whatever it is that got you running into this meathead.

Wherever it is this place or activity in which both of you may face each other, just don't go. The world is not going to end, and you are not going to be less of a man. There is nothing for you to prove, and life will just fine without going to those places. Fucking hide if you need to.

Just avoid this ****, even if it is for months on end. Avoid this kind of ****, and never go out alone. And really assess the situation in an honest manner and ask yourself if you are in real and imminent danger and there is nothing reasonable that you can do to prevent it.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2006 12:20pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're already a boxer read "Championship streetfighting, boxing as a martial art" by Ned Beaumont and "Savage strikes" by Mark Hatmaker. In the meantime work on your power (streetfights are a lot shorter than ring bouts) add bang to you jabs by stepping in while you strike and keeping your fists vertical and striking with the 3 lower knuckles ( it'll also protect you wrists). Use your palms instead of fists when throwing uppercuts to the chin(better protection against teeth). You can practice palm strikes to the head with all my strikes. Practice infighting diligently. A lot of streetfights start nose to nose. Try shovelhooks (hooks that are thrown by keeping your elbows tight to you body, much like an uppercut, but with the hook body rotation. Do everything that is illegal in the ring! Low blows, headbutts (hit with the part right above the hairline), punch right behind the ears, or the nape of the neck. Missed hooks can intantly turn into elbowstrikes. There's a drll I practice everyday with the heavy bag, speed bag and mitts: strike with a hook, continue with your body turning strike with the elbow (or forearm), return and strike with the back of the elbow and keeping your momentum throw a hook-elbow-elbow with the other hand. train until becomes second nature. Also when blocking a hook, swing to the head . lift your elbow pointing at your foe's face and step in or or **** you body weight forward(it works like a charm. And don't forget you have knees and feet: stomp on his foot when stepping in , that'll nail him to the ground. Low savate style kicks to the shins or knees with your instep or tip of you shoes (with heavy shoes can be murder) have tha magical effect of dropping your opponents guard. Also a knee strike to the groin while moving forward( the knee should point straight forward) and planting your foot after (without stepping back) is a wonderfull setup for hooks and overhands.When you opponent goes down soccer kicks to the head will keep him down. If you have the time pick up some grecoroman wrestling it'll complement you boxing skills quite nicely

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    10/24/2006 10:51pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like velomaster's advice except please don't soccer kick anyone in the head. That has a pretty good chance of killing them. If they go down, just walk away. If you really think you're still in danger from them, maybe kick or stomp them once in the leg or ribs (less likely to kill and main them) and then walk away - you don't need a murder on your conscience.
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 ... LastLast