Safe For Work

Posted On:
    2/18/2006 1:20am

supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MuKen
    As funny as that pic was, it actually got me thinking. Is football practice perhaps actually very good training for dealing with multiple attackers? It involves getting past a lot of guys trying to stop you at all costs, and then running the **** away.
    While the American in me would like to agree, the realist in me things Rugby would be a better choice. :eusa_shhh

Seriously, though...I think a good All-American stiff arm while barreling through would be a nice opening move for a self defense scenario. Unfortunately a group of jocks causing trouble would be well trained to defend against that. I mean if they're on the football team anyway.
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

Martial mediocrite

Posted On:
    2/23/2006 3:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Using bag as aggro outlet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hooks to the face! THE FACE!

Knees to the crotch

Headbutts (clinched or freestanding)

Bites

Elbows
    What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

Posted On:
    2/23/2006 9:11pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MuKen
    As funny as that pic was, it actually got me thinking. Is football practice perhaps actually very good training for dealing with multiple attackers? It involves getting past a lot of guys trying to stop you at all costs, and then running the **** away.
    Yes, it is quite effective. I've used football tactics in numerous multiple attacker situations while working in a max security juvenile facility. It was probably the most useful approach when entering a large gang fight, or dealing with a group of hostiles.

The key is to make the hit and keep driving, head up, and not go down with the attacker. It clears you of the melee, and should really pound your opponent into the ground/wall.

People have a lot of misconceptions about a proper form football tackle. A good form tackle will involve gettin gyour hips down, your head up, a double leg wrap, and then driving up and through your opponent. Now, when I say drive, it isn't that you take a step, then drop him. You explode upon impact in an upward lunge to unbalance him, then keep running through him, then slam him down.
    In football, you drop with your opponent, but you can fling him free, and not go down with him.

If I had something jumping off with 4 or more combatants, I'd try to line them up like bowling pins, drive through the first one hopefully knocking a second one down, keep going until I was clear of the fight, then slam the first one. About face. Charge again. On second pass, I'd make another tackle, driving through the melee, make the slam, stir him over to a prone control, then apply cuffs. At this point the first guy I slammed may or may not be getting up, and I'd stare him down and give verbal commands. "If you get up, I'll take you down harder this time. Stay on the floor." If he sat, go on to opponent #3, if #3 was not already coming at me. If #1 got up, he'd be top priority, and pretty much be fucked.

I've known quite a few cops, and most used some sort of football tackle to ground control tactics, similar to what I used. I used to argue with a lot of our tactical defense instructors about some of the **** they taught. Some was slightly useful, but a lot just sucked. If I were to develop a curriculum, it would definitely include putting on a helmet and some shoulder pads.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2006 10:12pm

Style: Boxing, Judo, BJJ, M.T.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The old school dirty boxing stuff was great for street fighting. If you're talking about modern boxing, this is what I would do. I would use a post jab (*) and pivot outside the lead leg of the person attacking, for a big hook to the jaw. From there, I'd try to keep hitting him on the outside, and try to pressure him into a corner to keep him on the defense. I think this would be safest, since most people try to cock back for a haymaker, and this is really hard to do when cornered. Typically, I square up when I corner someone to prevent them from escaping out the rear, but here that would probably get me tackled.

Of course, this is assuming a few things. If I could, I'd just run away after the first hook. It is true that a hook can often injure the hand, but I can deal with that later if this is supposed to be a life-and-death confrontation. I'm also assuming you want a straight boxing approach with no headbutts, knees, and elbows.

(A post jab is a simple jab that involves turning the lead foot sharply to throw the shoulder heavy into the punch, and the boxer tucks his chin deep into his shoulder to provide cover against a counter punch. The punch is aimed more at the eyes than at any other part of the body, and the punch is left hanging for a second. The idea is to use the hand jabbing to block the eyes to allow movement and follow-up punches that cannot be seen.

I'm assuming that both fighters are same-sided. Beating to the outside position changes if the two fighters are not in a mirror position.)

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    2/23/2006 10:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoMan
    I'm also assuming you want a straight boxing approach with no headbutts, knees, and elbows.
    I think that was the question originally. To which I would reply why limit yourself? I'll use **** from any style that works if I'm on the street. That's no time to be playing MA style snob.

:icon_twis
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/28/2006 2:23pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A friend of mine with whom I used to box was jumped by four guys on the Lower East Side of Manhattan at night.

He ran into the street, the intersection to be exact. It was well lit, and he blocked traffic. He basicaly used the interection as a ring and danced around, evading the four guys. One of them finally caught him with a punch, but it mostly glanced off his shoulder. Eventually they guys got tired of chasing him around.
    The vast Universe!
    The Way of Aiki to to become
    The light of all mankind
    Opening all the world

--O Sensei

:gaygay:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2006 10:41pm

Style: Boxing, Bjj, kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what I find helpful is to punch with your last 3 fingers. Try put ur fist right in front of you or on a wall.

Those 3 will be better then your punching with the middle and pointer.

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    3/02/2006 11:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To hut your hand wearing gloves, you were probably just misalligned. It's why I don'to really bother with hooks when bareknuckle. it's just so much safer to stay with straight punches or elbows.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/03/2006 11:40pm

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    played rugby for years. Stand tall, pump legs, drop the shoulder down and protect your face/palm opponents off with other hand.

'street-fight' = long jabs, body punches, uppercuts, elbows and straight knees when applicable, if you must kick, no kicks above waist, and if 1 on 1, standing arm locks + pummelling there face with your free hand or leg sweep + stomp their face.

above all, run for it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2006 11:07am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't brag that I've won dozens of street fights...but I'm still alive with a few fingers left, that must count for something. Only useful observation I got is that elbows work better than any kick you can come up with. If you have a bag, it never hurts to spend a night just getting used to a MT-style elbow. I've boxed since I was twelve, my folks threw me out when I as fifteen, I can't stress enough that treating self defense like a boxing match will get you splattered. It's an intense sport, one of the best, and it teaches better punches than any other martial art.
    But if you try jabbing up his ribs for the points like in the Golden Gloves...medical science has limits. Stick to the proven power shots, things that you know will hurt him.
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 23456 7891016 ... LastLast