and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 3:30pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought
    If it's a self-defence situation you should stick to pounding away at the centre of their head with everything you have. Straight Blast Gym has a "Street Boxing" tape set that I have yet to watch, but if you're a trained boxer you should just do what you do best: punch people in the face.

Lol Sigged!
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 8:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I ended a fight once with a single headbutt. I was shocked, the guy's nose cracked right open and he was done.
    He deserved it though, he was trash-talking me as I was leaving a bar so I just turned around, grabbed him by the shirt and BANG!
    I was amazed at how effective it was, I had never done it before.
    It was fuckin' sweet. :XXjester:
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2006 10:57am

Style: Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought
    If it's a self-defence situation you should stick to pounding away at the centre of their head with everything you have. Straight Blast Gym has a "Street Boxing" tape set that I have yet to watch...
    The Rodney Dangerfie-...err, the Rodney King one? I was gonna suggest that. And the book "Savage Strikes," by Mark Hatmaker. Both are have some good ideas on this subject.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 1:34am

Style: Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirak
    well, BJJ is useful if it's a one on one thing, but if you're surrounded by his friends, I'd rather standup and try my best instead of going to the grounds. When you're standing up, with your hands protecting as well as your leg in use, you can keep the others out. However on the ground, you have to focus your legs and hands on the person you're fighting, and his friends can just kick you or do something.
    ANd why the hell are you attacking someone face to face surrounded by his friends? Whether you go out looking for a fight or get backed into a corner, there's a long list of things you fucked up to get in a place like that.

For straight punches i think fists are peachy though probably a little safer with more of a verticle slant.
    Ding ding! ....just out of curiosity, how do you explain the benefit of this?

I'd also say that you don't need to be putting on all the mustard when you punch bareknuckle. Placement and the opponent's posture is more important than power... which of course is the case anyway :smile: but it's easier to mess up your hand when you don't heed that in this case. Keep your skeleton behind the punches, drive for the spine at first with moderate power to disbalance, and save the power shots for when the opponent has no base (though still shouldn't be near as "hard" as you could go with gloves on the bag). You shouldn't throw before kuzushi, why prematurely blow your proverbial wad in this case?

I've been taught a nice little tool for finding optimal body alignment for most strikes. Make your fist against a wall, and start applying force like you would for a punch. Keeping your limbs aligned as closely to a relaxed position as possible, search until you feel the reflected force move from the arm/shoulder down into your legs, and optimally "out the bottom of your feet." Your whole skeleton should act like a wedge between the wall and the floor. If you can make that kind of alignment on impact to the right places on an opponent, it doesn't take a lot of effort to hit like a freight train, and your smaller bones should be relatively safe. The danger is when you do the above and feel strain in the hand/wrist/shoulder.
    Last edited by Spunky; 2/17/2006 1:50am at .

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 1:35am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    Holding someone is dumb - now you've only got one hand to defend and attack. I'd rather work a combo thanks. Headbutting is last resort cause of the range. I would rather stick and move from the outside - I'm a boxer, that's my game. I'll go all out on the inside only if I'm forced to.
    I've always been more of an infighter though, so up close and personal is my way. I fought from a crouch too, if yours is the traditional your boxing style's going to be different from a crouch fighter's. We use our straights to get inside then pound them with the hooks and uppercuts, less time dancing around on the outside.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 2:55am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spunky

Ding ding! ....just out of curiosity, how do you explain the benefit of this?
    It spreads the impact over a larger flatter area. I dont go completely verticle, i generally come in with about a 45 degree angle.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 3:45am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a pretty good boxing streetfight...."technique"....

I have described it once before and I believe someone here used it quite effectively in sparring and mentioned their appreciation.

However, I won't be dishing out the good stuff on some white belt nub's request. I have an elitest image to uphold.

Safe For Work

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 2:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    I have a pretty good boxing streetfight...."technique"....

I have described it once before and I believe someone here used it quite effectively in sparring and mentioned their appreciation.

However, I won't be dishing out the good stuff on some white belt nub's request. I have an elitest image to uphold.
    Is that the one where you go for *censored for elitest quality control* and then when the guy goes for *censored for elitest quality control* you just *censored for elitest quality control*? If so, then yeah I like that one too (although I haven't pulled it off yet).

Or are you talking about the eye biting one?
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 2:12pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Groin poking after you eyebite is not the same thing as I was talking about. I cannot, however, deny their effectiveness.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 2:18pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    Groin poking
    Stop getting into street fights with hookers, and pay up like an honest John.
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast