Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 2:27pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I figure my boxing "street tactic" would just be a flurry of straight punches probably ending with a big hooky overhand right.

I am also a big fan of grabbing the back of the head and hitting the face or pushing the head down and off to the side and hitting the side of the face.

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 2:30pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it's a self-defence situation you should stick to pounding away at the centre of their head with everything you have. Straight Blast Gym has a "Street Boxing" tape set that I have yet to watch, but if you're a trained boxer you should just do what you do best: punch people in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Shirak
    well, BJJ is useful if it's a one on one thing, but if you're surrounded by his friends, I'd rather standup and try my best instead of going to the grounds. When you're standing up, with your hands protecting as well as your leg in use, you can keep the others out. However on the ground, you have to focus your legs and hands on the person you're fighting, and his friends can just kick you or do something.
    No defensive stance is going to save you from multiple attackers. BJJ's standing self-defence will allow someone to clinch and throw the first person attacking them while remaining upright themselves. If you suspect there are more people you should be using your standing position to run.

Oh yeah, and I don't go to the ground by choice in an uncontrolled fight. If you end up there, BJJ will be the only way to do what you have to do.
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 2/14/2006 2:33pm at .

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 2:31pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    For straight punches i think fists are peachy though probably a little safer with more of a verticle slant.
    Meaning??? I'm interested in hearing anything that makes punching with closed fist safer :icon_thum
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 2:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well once again it might just be the way my hand is jacked up and thus me having to adjust my punching style when not wearing gloves.

On my right hand my middle finger was broken and cant close quite properly and juts out a little bit, without the extra security gloves provide that paticular finger i find it feels safer for me when hitting the bags toangle my thumb upwards and make impact with the knuckles/flats of the pinky/ring and middle finger instead of turning my fist completely horizontal and trying to make impact that way (which causes my second knuckles to take the brunt of the impact)

Basically turning the thumb sliughtly upwards seems to distribute the impact more evenly on my hand across several fingers rather then on a paticularly localized area.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 2:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elnyka
    Meaning??? I'm interested in hearing anything that makes punching with closed fist safer :icon_thum

Kat is a major proponent of the wing chun punch
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 2:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Kat is a major proponent of the wing chun punch

You're getting chain punched tonight.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 2:46pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    I fucked up my hand pretty good the other day, wearing 12 oz gloves and punching focus mits. It's really made me question the practicality of punching someone in the skull without gloves on.

Much more useful to throw a push kick and/or clinch and throw knees/elbows which won't break as easily.

That's cuz you punch shitty.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 2:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just make sure to wear boxing gloves wherever I go
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 2:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What trash are you talking, i go everywhere you go and i carry a gun, we dont need no fuckin boxing gloves imo :P

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 2:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    I just make sure to wear boxing gloves wherever I go
    You too?

The hard part was learning how to touch type.
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast