Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51112131415 16171819 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    4/15/2010 11:02am

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly I can't say what I'd do today, and haven't been in a "fight" in ages.
    I'll freely admit that the most logical tactic would probably be to beat their guts up - for all the reasons listed previously. That said, I likely wouldn't be thinking my way through a streetfight.

My unspoken basic premise is that I'd de-escalate, and get out of physical conflict if at all possible. That not being the scenario means I've been assaulted, and face punches are what I guess I'd revert to without hesitation.

Then again maybe I'd clinch, drop for a double and try for KOB or side mount.

Posted On:
    4/15/2010 11:21am

Style: Kettles (MA hiatus).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like tao.jonez I'd instinctively go for head shots however last night there was a fight on my train between two pissed suits. It started to roll to where I was standing and whilst it had nothing to do with me I got ready just incase and actually found myself lining up a heavy teep off my back foot to the nearest guy.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/15/2010 1:08pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Missing posts moved here: Effin derailer - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

I'd like to remind everyone that the thread topic is dirty boxing, which does not include teeps or DLT to side control.

Stay on topic please.

Posted On:
    4/15/2010 6:11pm

Style: Kettles (MA hiatus).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's fair enough. Rephrasing, although I think going for the head seems like the natural thing to do average Joe is highly unlikley to expect a low punch and it would indeed cause them problems. What about heavy set guys with big but solid looking guts? I think I'd punch for the head then.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 2:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kovacs View Post
    What about heavy set guys with big but solid looking guts? I think I'd punch for the head then.
    they're probably just as likely to have a big but solid looking neck.

..I still haven't had a training partner of that proportion yet so I'd be interested to know if bodyshots are feasable
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 4:29am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    another question what about the sternum? saves trying to punch though a large gut and would hurt like hell bare knuckle.
    I ave read stories from old school karate guys who ould heart punch people which i asume would be high up in the chest.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 4:42am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it hurts, but unless the guy has a pretty low pain threshold I can't see a sternum punch ending a fight.

the reason the liver shot ends fights is because its a vital organ and if it gets hit too much it can actually shut you down.

and getting winded ends up with you being unable to breathe properly, or at all if you're winded like I was in my first mma class at 16
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 6:05am

Style: Les Mills Bodycombat™

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spunky View Post

I've been taught a nice little tool for finding optimal body alignment for most strikes. Make your fist against a wall, and start applying force like you would for a punch. Keeping your limbs aligned as closely to a relaxed position as possible, search until you feel the reflected force move from the arm/shoulder down into your legs, and optimally "out the bottom of your feet." Your whole skeleton should act like a wedge between the wall and the floor. If you can make that kind of alignment on impact to the right places on an opponent, it doesn't take a lot of effort to hit like a freight train, and your smaller bones should be relatively safe. The danger is when you do the above and feel strain in the hand/wrist/shoulder.
    Believe it or not I was taught this In a Bujinkan Dojo.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 6:29am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the problem with that is your weight is largely on the wall and your back foot. in a punch your weight is on the front foot
    Spoiler:

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 10:12am

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I throw some punches with my weight on the back foot, but pushing/thrusting forward.
    It's primarily for closing distance so I can get in and work close when I need to.

Don't know about bujinkan, but maybe that's why they teach the alignment that way - don't they employ a mobile / evasive style of striking?