Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41011121314 15161718 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 2:01pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nearly any boxing techniques would work quite well against a non-trained opponent.

If a decent boxer can move around, he's got all the skills and conditioning needed to pick 99% of attackers apart, especially if the fight lasts longer than ~45 seconds.

So I'd say the main goal is not to get backed into a spot where you have no movement options.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    4/14/2010 5:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so hit them in the body.. when I mess-about-sparred an old school BK boxer he said most of the time they'd go for the body cos the first guy to hurt his hand is fucked.

..and yes sparring him was a very painful experience.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    4/14/2010 9:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whathappened View Post
    Boxers do risk self-injury if they haven't done any strike conditioning.
    Everyone does. Urijah Faber v Mike Brown? Tell me Faber wouldn't have broken his hand if he went around punching banana trees.

Personally I don't think the benefit of makiwara type strike conditioning outweighs the risks of bone and ligament damage. I don't believe you can strengthen your metacarpal bones enough to hit an elbow, skull, or hip bone at full force without taking significant damage. Hitting a heavy bag with gloves / wraps will strengthen adequately IMO, and marginalize the risk of the old school conditioning.

Contrary to my Faber/Brown example, however any skilled boxer who hits you hard enough to break his hand has more than likely knocked the **** out of you.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    4/14/2010 5:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whathappened View Post
    Boxers do risk self-injury if they haven't done any strike conditioning.

Its sad that 90% of TMA don't receive or want this type of training and conditioning.
    I'm 24 years old and have been in 0 street fights. Rather than spend a majority of my time mutiliating my hands so that they won't break in the incredibly low chance that I get into a street fight, I'd rather invest it training for my sport and risk the potential injury I may receive while I crack someone's skull.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/14/2010 7:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The boxers that I work out with (I am still a noob), focus a good deal on defenses with strong counter attacks. My coach ducks his lead shoulder under a roundhouse right and answers with a right upper-cut. He calls this move teeth on the ground.

This is a good thread, I hope to learn from the internet vs. the street.

Posted On:
    4/15/2010 4:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah but most people really want to punch for the face and I know I just dont have the coolness of head to plan something like that out. Espesially if it is the sort of 3 or 4 second fight inside punching range that has started from a sucker punch.
    Which is where the boxer is at his most lethal anyway

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    4/15/2010 9:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I'm assaulted my #1 objective is to end the fight quick; a body shot is not what I'd be after.

I know gut shots CAN end a fight but most fight enders come from head punches.

I'd personally take my chances with the law - I can afford a good lawyer, have no record, and don't want to be fucking about trying to land a liver shot if someone's attacking me.

Again, if I hit hard enough to break my hand on his face, I'd bet he's not got much fight left in him.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    4/15/2010 9:17am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tao.jonez View Post
    If I'm assaulted my #1 objective is to end the fight quick; a body shot is not what I'd be after.

I know gut shots CAN end a fight but most fight enders come from head punches.

I'd personally take my chances with the law - I can afford a good lawyer, have no record, and don't want to be fucking about trying to land a liver shot if someone's attacking me.

Again, if I hit hard enough to break my hand on his face, I'd bet he's not got much fight left in him.
    dude, what if you hit his forehead and he has a head like a coconut? that defeats your whole point. you=fucked

ever been hit with a hard bodyshot? ever seen how quick it drops fuckers?
    ..look at sirc's fight against that wand fight team guy on youtube, the guy doesnt even need to get close.

-that being said I've never had a fight and only hit the body.. i'm not that smart
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    4/15/2010 9:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WAY more boxing, MMA, K-1, Muay Thai fights end with a KO from a head shot, or series of them than from body shots. I don't have statistics, just personal observation.

I've personally been wobbled more times from head punches than body punches/kicks too. I've stopped more guys in sparring and comps with head shots than body shots. Maybe that's because generally fewer attacks go to the body - I'm not sure. I generally attack the body not as a fight ender, but to get hands to drop and....hit their head. This tactic is effective for me. I like punching faces and I'm good at it.

I'm sure directly attacking the body for a KO is effective as well, I just haven't seen it being AS effective.

This is all my experience, not well-documented science. At any rate I'm likely to go with what I know. Yes though, sucks for me if I get in a fight with a coconut head on top of a thick neck. We're on boxing tactics, but I practice kicks, knees, and grapplez too, so there are other options in my case. And running away is an option.

Posted On:
    4/15/2010 10:14am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have to keep in mind that fighters, especially professional fighters are much better conditioned to take bodyshots than people you fight in pubs. This is exactly like a grappler choosing to go for a triangle instead of an armbar in a self defense situation.

If you are any good at your martial art and not in a life threatening situation you should be able to pick the way in which you take the other guy out.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41011121314 15161718 ... LastLast