Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 7:47am

Style: Boxing (Amateur)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Boxers: Street Fight Tactics?

Just wondering if there are any boxers out there who would like to share their game plan if they decide it's time to hurt somebody on the street. Of course most people know that a jab-cross-hook combo will fold most non-fighters out there, and naturally you're not gonna be sticking & moving against an untrained guy, but if you've any variation from this I'd love to hear it.

A while back I had a stupid fight on the street where I tried 2 illegal boxing moves which worked to pretty good effect:

a) Headbutting. If the guy gets up in your face real close, bringing your head down onto his nose will send him back a little bit OR get him to fold over so you can get some room to smack him.

b) Holding the shirt / collar. This is illegal in the ring, but it's bloody great on the footpath. While you're holding the other dude's shirt, he can't move, and you can get greater leverage than normal. To boot, you don't have to worry about range as you're holding him. Blast right hands into his nose (it's more cushioned than the chin) and he'll be down pretty quick.

Also, I've found that If you've got soft hands and/or want to end the fight real quick, throw a lead left rip to the guy's liver. If you're good at these, the fight will be over straight away. They aren't that reliable except against pussies however, if you do land em they're brilliant.

I guess this is of course if you don't have a bat or a bottle to swing, but it's still interesting to see how people adapt their boxing from ring to street. Eg one dude I know has a pair of knuckle dusters with padding that protect his hand from being hurt; one of the worst worries with hitting a dude without a glove is fucking your hand up. Anyway, share your tactics!

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 8:16am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Learn BJJ.

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself. Where's Dreadnought when you need him?

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 8:24am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On a less trollish note, avoid hooks to the head. Without gloves they're the most likely knuckle cracker.
    b) Holding the shirt / collar. This is illegal in the ring, but it's bloody great on the footpath.
    I'd avoid holding and hitting if I were a boxer. They know radically fewer unpleasant things to do from a clinch than a wrestler, Muay Thai fighter or Judoka. Best to keep the fight to the range you're best at.

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 8:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd say the holding is a good idea. Even if it takes a second for the other person to react, with the initiative it provides the control to land some very solid rights.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 8:48am

Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Straight right to the face, run away.
    Last edited by Mr.Mundane; 2/14/2006 8:52am at . Reason: spelling

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 8:50am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeddy
    I'd say the holding is a good idea. Even if it takes a second for the other person to react, with the initiative it provides the control to land some very solid rights.
    Best to try and limit your fighting to what you're trained for. A Judoka will toss you over his head using the arm you've just given him.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 10:28am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The average schmuck on the street is not a Judoka though. I've done holding the collar and holding the belt a couple times, belt seems better IMO but I never use either for very long. Headbutts work, thumbing, chopper fists, lots of stuff work all right.

And to be honest, 90% of the time, slipping and jabbing is your best defense. Most people break up a fight pretty quickly, so all you hafta do is stay out of his range and pop him a few times until they stop it. Nothing more complicated than that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 10:34am

Style: Tai Chi, abit of BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    Learn BJJ.

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself. Where's Dreadnought when you need him?

well, BJJ is useful if it's a one on one thing, but if you're surrounded by his friends, I'd rather standup and try my best instead of going to the grounds. When you're standing up, with your hands protecting as well as your leg in use, you can keep the others out. However on the ground, you have to focus your legs and hands on the person you're fighting, and his friends can just kick you or do something.

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 10:41am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I fucked up my hand pretty good the other day, wearing 12 oz gloves and punching focus mits. It's really made me question the practicality of punching someone in the skull without gloves on.

Much more useful to throw a push kick and/or clinch and throw knees/elbows which won't break as easily.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 10:45am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The key to winning a fight is to get there first with the most. I'm a heavy so I got more power than speed. Those two things in mind I'd play keep away with lots of hard jabs. A power jab probably won't hurt your hand at all, but is quick, leaves you pretty well covered up, and can easily win a fight against an untrained or even a trained non-expert opponent. A few stiff blows to the face will take the fight right out of someone. Against someone that's not a better fighter, I'd hardly ever throw my power shots.

Holding someone is dumb - now you've only got one hand to defend and attack. I'd rather work a combo thanks. Headbutting is last resort cause of the range. I would rather stick and move from the outside - I'm a boxer, that's my game. I'll go all out on the inside only if I'm forced to.

Oh and if you think a good liver shot won't drop anyone anywhere, you're crazy.

On fighting a boxer...

most boxers won't have any trouble laying the opponent out with either hand so that's a plus for them. The whole truism about the blow you don't see being the most damaging and if you're not better than the boxer, you either won't see it coming or won't be able do much about it. Key here is don't let them decide the range.

bodyshots are another way to open someone up or drop them and won't hurt your hand as much so those would be used a lot.

The typical streetfight wind-up right hand is the boxing equivalent of the gracie gift - that's what you hope the other guy does. You might as well ask to get KTFO. Don't make obvious mistakes like that.

An advantage against non-expert takedowns is that boxers train to move quick when someone comes in on them so a sloppy tackle probably won't cut it. If I could get a shot in on someone coming in, I'd try to rabbit punch or hook to the face. so be prepared to eat at least one punch trying a takedown.

Once you get tied up all bets are off.

Against someone that knew what they were doing I'd think the boxing clinch would be a disadvantage since you tend to stiffen up and stand up taller and lean into your opponent - muscle them down - which could probably be used against you easily. Now boxers train hard so they're usually tougher and stronger than the typical person their size, but there's no ground work so anyone with some grappling - and probably even crappling - should be able to take them out once they're on their backs.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.
Page 1 of 19 1 234511 ... LastLast