Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    8/19/2002 11:56am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People always say they saw openings for strikes when they grapple.

Of COURSE you do! Your playing a GAME where your partener KNOWS you wont strike him. He's not TRYING to avoid strikes.

When I spar I dont kick my partner in the nutz. Or pull his hair. Or bite his throat. Becaue thats NOT what we are doing.

How illogical is it to think someone can train to STRIKE someone but that a similar person cannot be trained to AVOID strikes?

A classic guy is Gilbert Yvel. Hes a K-1 guy with grat Muay Thai skills. Against anyone short of a brawler he cant remain standing. Thats just not what happens when 2 guys go at it. Gravity is going to take over in the heat of the moment and theyre going to scramble and fall to the floor.

Im sure if some punk stood nose to nose with Yvel he could wreck the guys face. But if he was jumped he'd probably end up on the ground.

Yvel knows the basics of grappling as well as striking.

Silva is a brown belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu which is an EXTREMELY high level. There isnt even a dividion for brown belts on the East Coast yet. Thats about 9 years of HEAVY grappling training and competeing. Not 2 times per week.

He can avoid takedowns BECAUSE of his BJJ. He knows how to control a man in close and how to keep his feet.

"Do not become entranced by impractical or useless movements. Do not be categorized as one who "Learns all there is to know about less and less until he ends up learning everything there is to know about nothing." -Ed Parker
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2002 12:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I admit though we don't train grappling with strikes so that makes a difference of course...

Grappling with strikes makes a HUGE difference.. haha.. no stalling from the guard, haha.. or alot of other positions.. I'd have to say the worst is side mount.. I hate side mount.. atleast from the mount you only have to really worry about fists and elbows.. and it's easier to buck from that position.. but side mount lends you to knees to the face... elbows to the back of the head.. punches from the alternate side mount position.. and numerous submissions that are made available once you try and block the strikes.. Timing and alot of technique is needed when escaping or reversing positions.. timing the buck with the strikes.. and at that window of opportunity, that split second when they're off balance.. you HAVE to make your reversal, sweep, or escape or what not.. its a whole different game..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2002 12:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People always say they saw openings for strikes when they grapple.

Of COURSE you do! Your playing a GAME where your partener KNOWS you wont strike him. He's not TRYING to avoid strikes.

When I spar I dont kick my partner in the nutz. Or pull his hair. Or bite his throat. Becaue thats NOT what we are doing.
    I was referring to the accidental blows when switching positioning and what not.. or when you're trying to pass guard and catch a foot in your face.. accidental blows.. not intentional.. The fact is, if you're not used to taking a punch or kick to the chin.. you'll go down alot easier, and a strictly BJJ guy would get shaken more easily.. Like that fight.. Matt Serra vs. Shonie Carter.. Matt Serra is an AMAZING grappler! his first fight, he only trained BJJ.. and Shonie was very fortunate to have escaped as many times as he did.. Now you can't tell me that.. had Matt Serra been better versed on his feet, or if he was used to taking harder shots.. he could have seen that shot from shonie.. or been able to shake it off.. He even stated that it was his lack of a chin and not being used to getting striked that lost him that fight..
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234