Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2002 5:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Groundfighting in a crowded area, like a nightclub, isn't a good idea. There's too much risk of interference from outside sources, like bottles, other clubbers, tables etc. In a one on one situation, a grappler would have the advantage over a striker because he would have an easier time keeping the fight in his range.

I agree with Choke about eye gouges, but you don't even have to gouge. A palm strike to the chin allows you to rub your fingertips over the eyes, creating a distraction and slowing your opponent down. Gives a similar result without the same legal consequences.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    8/18/2002 5:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It depends on the situation, if you want to kill and maim you can eye gouge, but I wouldn't try just poking, it will only make the opponent mad. I think takedowns on the street are fine as long as you stay standing, I wouldn't go to the ground unless I had no choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2002 5:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I agree about the staying standing part, that's why I said groundfighting instead of grappling.

It'll make him mad, but it'll also partially blind him for a bit, and you can use that window of oppertunity to do something else, like a takedown or a chickenwing or a free strike if you prefer.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2002 6:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Crosstraining is key, but a lot of peoples arguments against learning groundfighting and grappling techniques is weak. People often site that "groundfighting doesn't work against multiple attackers" or "groundfighting on the street will get you killed".

These arguments often come from people who are too proud to admit the importance of the grappling arts and the shortcommings of their own, or they are homophobes who cringe at the thought of close contact with a person of the same sex.

But I digress. Groundfighting and grappling, more than anything, provide you with more options. Although an art like BJJ teaches you how to take down and submit or finish an opponent, it just as importantly teaches you how to effectively and safely get off the ground or to prevent yourself from ending up there in the first place.

I just find it funny that the people who are least equiped to avoid takedowns or get themselves back on their feet are the same ones who bash BJJ and other grappling systems.

I tend to agree that in most street scenarios the ground isnt some place you want to go, but if you end up there would you rather be like a fish out of water and stay there to get your head beat in or would you like to know how to get back on your feet?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2002 6:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On the street I have seen alot of people who do not know how to fight end up on the ground after some sort of clinch. A punch or a punch/kick combo can end a fight very quick against an unskilled opponent.

If you end up on the ground though you had better have taken some sort of grappling. No doubt in a one on one fight against even a mediocre HS or former HS wrestler you will be on the ground. Unless you have trained to avoid that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2002 6:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with Shooter. I have studied grappling and can handle myself against most beginners (one to two years), but my natural strength and size means I prefer to strike rather than grapple. Since I don't intend to become a professional fighter I hope that the grappling experience I have is enough to suit my self defense needs.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    8/18/2002 7:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shooter is right.

Wandering Daoist

Posted On:
    8/18/2002 9:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I Choke You is right about Shooter being right.

*cough* Although it's true that rolling with a guy could get you kicked in the head or ribs by his friends, it's always good to have experience on the ground so you have the option to take it there safely or escape to standing position.

Normally I'd train grappling at an NHB school, but every NHB guy I've ever seen trains very hard to put their opponent in a 'rear mount' position and hold them there gently for inordinate amounts of time, which is something I'd rather not experience.

--------------------
    And that's what I call REAL Ultimate Power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "The morning glory blooms for an hour. It differs not at heart from the giant pine, which lives for a thousand years."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2002 12:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You've got to know both Stand-up fighting and Ground-fighting, there's just no simpler truth!

Also, one good point I'll make is that anyone can fight standing up to some extent! Anyone can throw a punch, kick, knee, or elbow, but the fact is no-one can fight for sh*t on the ground without actual ground-fighting skills, as humans naturally find the ground a foreign environment when they're doing anything but sleeping or screwing!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2002 12:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mercurius, look at Rickson Gracie, how do you think he wins his fights?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast