Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    3/07/2006 10:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Exactly...he lost the battle of wills...played Franklin's game nearly the entire time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2006 1:26pm

Style: TKD, Long Fist, Praying M

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use a boxing speed bag to practice ax kicks against.

On ax kick training days I do 10 reps back leg ax each leg. Then 10 reps front leg skip ax kick each leg. Then 10 reps inside out crescent ax, each leg. Then 10 reps outside in crescent ax, each leg.

Then 10 reps random ax kick each leg, step through the speed bag while bobbing/ducking speed bag (simulating avoiding counter kick or punch in case of a miss).

Sometimes if I really want to vary the work out. I'll practice striking the speed bag with different parts of the foot (ball, heel, outside edge, inside edge).

Then on my really sadistic days, I will do the whole rep again focusing on "straight leg" ax and "chamber leg" ax (a variation on how much knee bending occurs during the rising motion of the ax).

Depending on how heavy the heavy bag is, it might not be a good equipment to practice ax kicks agianst. I only practice spin ax kicks on 85 lb bags and above because they won't move as much when struck from the side. But for pushing (front attack) ax kick the bag has to be less than 50lb. to be an effective simulation, and even then it isn't, because during the downward motion the foot is still caught sliding agains the bag.

Remember half the time when you throw an ax kick your opponent is already starting to lean backwarks.

Posted On:
    5/10/2006 3:06am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai, and Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Stupid Axe Kicks, or maybe just stupid me

I broke my pinky toe on the right foot 2 weeks ago practising axe kicks, just clipped the bottom and put the toe out at a 45. reset it a fininshed training but it did not feel nice. Hope to be fully good to go in two more weeks. I agree that the heavy bag may not be the best option (of course) and the kick paddles are probably a good choice.

Posted On:
    5/11/2006 1:20pm

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I throw axe kicks all the time.

Here is me doing some AXE kicks. I think axe kicks work OK if your hamstrings are flexible. I am pretty flexible in the hamstrings. But I have no flexibility at all doing the splits, so I can't do high roundhouses without using an upward angle.

That's why I use all the "bad" kicks like axe, cresent, and side. Becuase I don't have to kick like i'm doing a split.
    Last edited by kikkoman; 5/11/2006 1:25pm at .

Posted On:
    5/11/2006 1:47pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get the "power high kicks with no warmup" at stadion.com. Practise everything in there diligetly for a year. Post video again. You need to do alot of dynamic streching exercises.

Posted On:
    5/11/2006 3:50pm

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you watched "power high kicks with no warmup"? Give me some tips please!!

That would be auwsome if i could get more flexibility. I can't even throw a hook kick at waist hieght. So I don't even throw them.

I wouldn't even be able to throw side kicks, but I dip my knee down so I don't have the split motion.
    Last edited by kikkoman; 5/11/2006 3:53pm at .

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    5/11/2006 7:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A very low quality picture of me crescent kicking a boxer in a backyardish type of fight that we were doing for fun.

On another note, I'll try to get some video of proper axe kick technique tonight and try to explain my "arc" thing I was talking about earlier.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    5/11/2006 7:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    Kyokushin>Kickboxing
    Agreed.

Posted On:
    5/11/2006 8:37pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: tae kwon do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

all about timing

The best bag, really, to practice the axe on is an uppercut bag, or get an uppercut ring for a normal bag. It's much faster to chamber the knee in this kick. It's very powerful and absolutely HAS to break or move something wuther it be your own leg or the target since gravity acceleration and your strongest muscles are what make the axe kick work. So do not use a very heavy target at all, 70 lbs bag at most if you're practicing the forward version.

I've only seen axe kicks used in MMA when the opponent is on his back. The fact is that the axe kick is a real bone breaker but needs a good deal of setup since it is basically two kicks, such as bringing it up just as your enemy throws a missed round kick or spin back kick or decides to jump. Bring it wide like a crescent and slam it into his shoulder if he can't bring it back to base too quick. Most ppl just back up. Excellent kick if you an bring it down on a side kick. If your opponent is going toward you, snap it straight up with the chambered knee, so he thinks you just tried to snap him in the jaw and missed. And then down it comes on his nose. KO. I've seen it get caught on the hogu and that's ugly cuz the face comes down on the foot. OhhOOoo

Posted On:
    5/12/2006 12:33am

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My current school does not train with crestant kicks or axe kicks, though my old master, though he taught bullshido, had a modified crestant kick that was very different from your Traditional crestant kick. he required a hell of alot of flexability, but the way it was thrown it attacked with the heel and not the side of the foot, and moved in a hooking motion(not like the hook kick)

That said, too much effort required to make it work so why bother?

Same with the axe kick.
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920