Page 17 of 17 First ... 71314151617

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Omega had (has?) a mcdojo with a TKD class. Phrost's school has a ninja class.

:new_shock :new_shock :new_shock

:ninjafigh

Phrost Im so sold- where do I sign up?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congratulations on your accomplishment.
    Without bursting your bubble though, belts in Muay Thai is Bullshido.
    My Muay Thai instructor is a big player in the IMTF and has been to Athens on numerous occassions as a representative of the sport, trying to get it into the olympics. In the 6 years I trained with him, I dont remember once seeing a black belt in Muay Thai.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem
    Congratulations on your accomplishment.
    Without bursting your bubble though, belts in Muay Thai is Bullshido.
    My Muay Thai instructor is a big player in the IMTF and has been to Athens on numerous occassions as a representative of the sport, trying to get it into the olympics. In the 6 years I trained with him, I dont remember once seeing a black belt in Muay Thai.
    comprehension isn't your strong point I take it
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    comprehension isn't your strong point I take it
    No it's not. Sorry if I missed something.

Anyway 'belts' in Muay Thai seem to be quite prevalent now

http://www.elbowko.com/ranking/rank.htm

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer. Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by colonelpong
    Sad but true. I understand many MT clubs are adopting a belt system. I hear its especially bad in England with a lot of "4th dan Muay Thai" people whove trained for like three years and such crap
    Are you sure? MT is pretty big in the U.K. (there's a world champion living and training less than 15 miles from where I live). I've never heard of any serious MT practictioner claiming to hold a belt rank (dan or otherwise), and fighters still have to prove themselves in the ring.

"The belt is in the ring" as they say.

Edit: That's WAKO world kickboxing champion (those rules disallow elbows and extended clinching). He's a SIMTA European champion though, which is full Thai rules. His profile is here if you're interested.
    Last edited by Lu Tze; 2/25/2006 10:21pm at .

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been trying to start a MuayThai McDojo system for years. My students don't buy into it though, and I keep being forced to teach the real stuff.....

LOL

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No one's raining on the parade, they were just stating that they found the belt thing humerous too even though they were "presented" with them. :) They have already stated they would rather be good at ass kicking than have a nice shiny belt to sport..

Anyway I would rather keep it more traditional as well but some think otherwise I guess. If it's not presented as strict Muay Thai and there is competent and consitent grading critera and not passing out belts because you have been going for such and such of a time period regardless of how proficient you are It could be a lot worse. I just hope the system doesn't get abused and make a mockery of the intended program and it should work out ok. JMHO

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM Bullshido Newbie
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When they institute "junior black belts," then it is time to worry.

--J.D.

Page 17 of 17 First ... 71314151617