Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 3:09pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seems like a mix of real and fake information so far.

Unless Sherdog's information is wrong this FSD victory doesn't seem to have happened. I'll wait for Scott's articles before judging though.

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 3:24pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "The 'kung fu' may be a bit of a misnomer, as we were taught hooks, crosses, uppercuts, knees and elbows, and low kicks both straight and roundline."

All these things are within kung fu. After all, a punch is just a punch. Furthermore, I've noticed a lot of kung fu/karate/tkd styles nowadays seem to suplement their basic style with a little bit of boxing handwork - i met a tkd guy the other day who actually had a half decent jab and cross. He didn't really have any defence, but the punches were technically quite good.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures5000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 3:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tend to agree, but when people auto-scoff at kung fu (not saying that they should or shouldn't) they generally seem to be talking about vertical chain punching and the fancy stuff, or wushu stylee, rather than hooks/crosses/uppercuts etc. Just trying to be descriptive, we're not, for instance, trying to fight from horse stance or with our knees pointing inwards. *grin*

The Bottom Brick

Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 3:47pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi nOOb, I am tending to believe that the FSD sifu was involved in some sort of competition. I am just not tending to believe he is some sort of supper soldier MMA fighter.

I am glad to hear you are going to be training Jiu-Jitsu, you'll find it very rewarding.

I think the real concern is not whether or not Scott Hill fought in a tournament, but the more serious issue of the evident cult that is apparantly formed within the FSD kool-aid drinkers.

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 3:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b
    I tend to agree, but when people auto-scoff at kung fu (not saying that they should or shouldn't) they generally seem to be talking about vertical chain punching and the fancy stuff, or wushu stylee, rather than hooks/crosses/uppercuts etc. Just trying to be descriptive, we're not, for instance, trying to fight from horse stance or with our knees pointing inwards. *grin*
    Chain punching works if you do it right ;)

As in...., you know, 2 or 3 as opposed to 26 :P

Registered Member

Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures5000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 5:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Askari: Agreed, the only way to know if he's an MMA super soldier is to put him in the ring until he stops advancing, but that's not my decision to make, and I don't think he makes the superman claim himself, to be honest' Although, I'd *definitely* get in the car and drive to any fights he had. That was all in response to doubting he did SOME fighting, not aimed at you personally.

I don't claim Teh Master System.

n00b - WOULD like to learn fireballs someday but nobody will teach me, I don't seem to have the right tattoo.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 5:18pm

Style: MT. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In Fang Shen Do related news, I spotted an ad in the Yellow Pages, for "Dean Kung Fu, Academy", with "Sifu Brian Dean."

Brian Dean used to be a FSD instructor, and if I am not mistaken, had a falling out with the orginazation. Nothing to report about the academy, I just figured some of the posters who knew Brian would like to hear about it.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 7:26pm

Style: BJJ Gi and noGi,MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well I hope Brian Dean tryied other MA before opening his own school, 'cause if he only knows FSD that doesnt make him really better than Jaques Patenaude himself...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 7:32pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterPantsless
    In Fang Shen Do related news, I spotted an ad in the Yellow Pages, for "Dean Kung Fu, Academy", with "Sifu Brian Dean."

Brian Dean used to be a FSD instructor, and if I am not mistaken, had a falling out with the orginazation. Nothing to report about the academy, I just figured some of the posters who knew Brian would like to hear about it.
    I remember that. I don't know about the details of the dispute, but as I understand it they basically told Brian that he could no longer run an FSD franchise. If my information is correct, they sent a bunch of people to his school to collect FSD-related materials. That in itself isn't a big deal except that I believe they happened to show up during one of his classes and I understand that it wasn't exactly, "Hi Brian, we're here for our stuff, thanks", if you catch my drift. I believe Scott was one of the people involved - maybe he can tell us more.

About Brian, he is a real stand-up guy and would do just about anything for his students. He's truly passionate about his art and it shows in how he teaches. He has since hooked up with someone who has some "real" lineage (I'm afraid that I don't know whom). If kung-fu is your thing, he's definitely worth checking out.

On the subject of schools, I've also heard from my sources that the school in Belleville was "taken away" from the franchise owner there just before Christmas. The owner used to be Dan Forgy (I know I've misspelled that last name). A look at the 2006 FSD calendar shows Danny Levac as the owner, so that seems to support what I've heard. I don't know the circumstances of the change, but I'm trying to get more information. If anyone reading this has more information, please post.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 7:47pm

Style: MT. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Didn't the same thing happen, a long time ago, with an instructor named Dino Urbani?
Page 8 of 157 FirstFirst ... 45678 91011121858108 ... LastLast