Page 2 of 157 FirstFirst 12 34561252102 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 9:01am

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Double post, pics are coming up as links, go take a look, but the link may change.

Ghost of Kawaishi

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 9:25am

Style: judo, parenting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This article will give you an idea of how much money can be made with
    McFranchising your Mckwoon.

http://www.martialinfo.com/articles/...view.asp?i=234

Scroll down to second article.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 9:37am

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks CdnRonin,
    Some nuggets in case it disappears:
    Generally, Patenaude charges around $30,000 per franchise, but that can be higher or lower, depending upon the location. He also receives seven to eight percent of each school’s monthly gross plus, as cited above, 25% of all testing fees.
    Patenaude’s seminars generate between $35,000 to $65,000 in additional revenue each year. Subjects range from regular martial arts fare such as staff, yawara stick and nunchaku seminars to style-specific topics such as chi sao (“sticky hands”) to New-Age self-development topics such as firewalks and one which Patenaude calls “Focus on Results.”
    “Every September a bunch of new kids come in and the interest is really high, but that often doesn’t last once they realize there’s some work to be done. So we’ve changed some of our programs to make it a little more fun without going to the point of playing basketball.”
    Membership in the Black Belt Club is nearly $4,000 in Quebec and $3,495 in Ottawa. However, this is a one-time fee! There’s a $50 renewal fee each year.
    Patenaude’s students initially earn a white sash after about three weeks of training and progress through stages of yellow, blue, green, brown and eventually, the red sash. According to Patenaude, the new system gives students a better reference point to gauge their skills. “The modern student, Canadian or American, wants to know what level they’re at.”
    A pleasant by-product of this revised ranking system is the additional revenue from test fees. While not a huge revenue boost in and of itself, it becomes significant when one factors in that Patenaude also receives 25% of the testing fees from his franchised schools.
    We supply the meals,” he explains. “We’ll show movies. I’ll do a lot of work with N.L.P. We’ll usually start off with a good game of basketball or baseball and we go from there.”
    Participants pay $450 for the weekend and, over the years, the numbers have grown from 25 to 60 participants last year.
    Doing the math on this last one, he made 27,000 from that one seminar alone.
    Last edited by Askari; 2/14/2006 9:41am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 12:18pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That article must be several years old, as I don't remember seeing any movies or playing any baseball. One of the things I talk about in my article is how the rank system now has "stripes" between each sash (e.g. after your yellow-sash, you'll test for your yellow-sash-blue-stripe, and then your blue-sash). This effectively doubles the number of tests each student must do, and therefore also doubles the income from tests. I didn't realize that Jacques took 25% of all tests at all schools. He must be raking it in.

Askari: I basically deal with three aspects of FSD in my article: the art itself, the cult-like behavior of the organization, and the money aspect of it all.

Does anyone know how long it typically takes for an article to appear once submitted and who reviews them before they get posted? Maybe I can gently poke someone to see if it can't appear sooner rather than later.

I'll be interested to see what the nuthuggers have to say in response.

Ghost of Kawaishi

Posted On:
    2/15/2006 8:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stringfellow, looking forward to the article. In reference to the not taking a shot at a UFC match, is there hard contact sparring of any sort?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2006 9:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yes, there's hard contact sparring with headgear and thin gloves (most students use the Bruce Lee Kempo finger gloves like those shown here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...75207?v=glance). The problem is that they don't really seem to understand what sparring is about, and as a result it's not nearly as useful as it could be. Rather than coaching students and easing them into a sparring situation they just have them put on the gloves and have at it. There's very little control or guidance. I discuss this a bit in the article, as it's one of the areas I feel that they really miss the boat.

One of the funniest things (in a sad sort of way) is watching students early on in their sparring as they try to apply all of the neato deflections they've been taught in class. Of course they don't work, so after awhile they get tired of being hit in the face and they abandon all of that and fall back to plain ol' dodging, blocking, and slugging.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2006 9:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see the article is now up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2006 9:52am

Style: MT. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just read the article. Very well written, and accurate. As a former FSD student, I agree with everything you wrote. Aside from your entire article, another thing that always bothered me was, while they have no ground game, they claim to have the superior ground game, of any art. I'll never forget the day a student who had trained in wrestling, and other grappling arts, owned everyone in seconds flat.

Sweet day indeed.

Ghost of Kawaishi

Posted On:
    2/15/2006 10:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stringfellow, do you write for a living? Excellent article, really well done.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2006 11:54am

Style: BJJ Gi and noGi,MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was the former FSD guy on this site and I wrote a article too about it (not good as yours I might say...)
    yeah its a rip off but after 2 article on the subject I dont know what I could add...
    its a mcdojo and bullshido.
    the fact is that most of their students dont know **** about MA in general so I dont think they will ever come here to defend themselve here... unfortunaly or fortunaly which may be your point of view.
Page 2 of 157 FirstFirst 12 34561252102 ... LastLast