Page 155 of 157 FirstFirst ... 55105145151152153154155 156157 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2006 3:24pm

Style: MT. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course the knee can work, that is not the point. The point is, that "FSD is mightier than any, and every art out there." I couldn't imagine an FSD pratitioner taking on any professional athelete, much less a UFC fighter. But they always have a simple answer and to why thier art is the best. ex. Can't take down a FSD clown, because of the Knee to the head, takedown defence. End of story.

Crap, crap, crappity crap.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2006 3:44pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been there for the 4nti-gr4ppl3 lesson. "If you practice shadow closing and double blast, you cannot be taken down". I believe we were expected to double blast the incoming skull while moving backwards. If you were good you 'could double blast moving forwards *or* backwards'.

It was INCREDIBLY hard not to sprawl.

I guess that's true, sorta. IF you always maintain the distance then you won't get grappl0red. Then the reality fairy gets the shoot and the back of your head hits the floor.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2006 3:45pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b

I'm not making excuses for the weird stuff, but it's perfectly understandable how they feel. Now imagine being a sifu. Except for Scott, they've all been in since childhood. This is all they have ever known. Convincing them of *anything* will be a long slog. Which is too bad, cuz that dragon logo is BADASS, man.
    I agree that most of the Sifus have all been in since childhood... They've never experienced anything else, yet critisize all other systems but their own. Also, they have the gall to tell you to "empty your cup", when in reality they don't know what they're talking about, but they think they do.

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    5/05/2006 4:17pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is all just another cult.

Members do the same thing--entrench to protect the belief. They will accept "little lies and abnormalities" to avoid admitting they bought the Big Lie.

--J.D.

Posted On:
    5/05/2006 5:10pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    . . . and another thing. . . .

I get sick of the "rules" excuses. I have actually used a knee to prevent a shoot. Yay me. Had I missed, I would have been eating floor. Ooops. A better shooter may have done that. The "shooter" knew enough to "yield" to "taking" a knee to the face. What if he did not? In a R34l D34dly STR33T fight, I would have had to have damaged him severely . . . or he would have taken me down.

What do people want? Gladiator contests? In that case, bring a big knife . . . then your opponent will bring a gun. For some reason, practitioners, even professionals, do not want a guarranteed maming.

So there are rules.

Learn how to use them. I realize I am "ranting to the choir," but I get sick of hearing the "I have t3h t00 d34dly" excuse.

Sure.

Deadly to the excuser.

--J.D.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    5/05/2006 5:29pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor X
    I have actually used a knee to prevent a shoot.
    Yeah I've sprawled out, won the clinch battle, and pumped a knee as he tried to recover too. It happens and its part of fighting.

That's the thing - fighting is really simple. You dont need to memorize a hundred teh deadly techniques and mime them at your mirror for ten years.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Posted On:
    5/05/2006 8:30pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Askari
    That's the thing - fighting is really simple. You dont need to memorize a hundred teh deadly techniques and mime them at your mirror for ten years.
    Indeed.

It is like playing a musical instrument. One practices a drum rudiment to "internalize it"--motor memory. Phil Collins is not thinking "DOWN-up-tap-tap," he thinks "paraddidle" and "how much will Disney pay for this sappy love song? I hate South Park." So, as you say, the whole point of training is to entrain the motor system so you can execute complex actions with little thought.

Similarly, mastering rudiments is not playing music. You need to sit in with a band. Your "mimes" may internalize somethings, but unless they train realistically . . . *cough* *cough* . . . spar . . . the likelihood of actually applying such moves is nil.

Slips off soapbox. . . .

--J.D.

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    5/05/2006 8:33pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Time for the Sinophile to say: wu-wei.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Posted On:
    5/05/2006 8:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wing Chun Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

FSD More +++

Shadow Ragno here, once again reading all of your interesting replies. I really do enjoy reading what you all have to say, because I believe that we are lucky enough to be able to express how we truly feel and what we believe in on threads such as these.

For some of you, such as Lightweight, wondered why I was so out of shape when I signed up in FSD when I already have a black belt in Shotokan Karate. Well, the truth is, I lost interest a while back, especially when the school I was training in went out of business and at this point I didn't see the need to continue. PS, the school I trained at cost me $75/month at the time, but now out of business. See the irony in that?

Any how, life became busy, I was no longer a student but now a full time worker with a new mortgage to pay. There was no time for martial arts. But one day, years later, I discovered Fang Shen Do. Went to check them out, and was highly impressed. However, before I found Fang Shen Do, I checked out many different martial arts schools, ranging in different styles from Kyiu Kushin Karate, to Jiu Jiutsu, to White Crane and Shaolin Kung Fu. They were all very impressive, and I am so fond of the many different styles, but I had to choose one. So why FSD, because although they are one of the more costly ones, and there are other schools I've checked which were just as costly, they have been around for many years, and have many successful schools opened all over Ontario and Quebec. My two favorite provinces in Canada. Being a member at one, meant being a member in all. I take advantage of all the schools, visited them all, trained with all the Sifus and Sijo himself, sparred and taken weapons classes in many schools, and I love it. I am sure that this martial art will not go out of business.

Perhaps you may disagree and find that our system is not as effective as we believe it is, but that is your opinion. I personally find that we do learn what it takes to deal with real confrontations on the street. I also believe that we can win tournaments if we were in to the competition thing. However, we rather train in our dojos and prepare for life challenges and not a competition or tournament that supposedly makes you a distinguished martial artist if you win and a loser if you don't.

Let me ask all you ex-FSD students? Why do you feel like FSD has failed you? Where do you find there to be weaknesses. Is it in our closing techniques? Perhaps in our takedowns or escapes? Do you not believe that Phon Saos are a good means of taking down an opponent who may be threatening you or your family? Let's discuss this, rather than bash eachother. What MA styles are you ex-FSD students doing now? What makes it better, is it because it is cheaper? Just curios.....if you wish to reply we can have an interesting discussion about this.

Any how ladies and gents, good training to you all. Whatever style you do, believe in it, and enjoy it, like I do.

Shadow Ragno

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2006 8:57pm

Style: BJJ Gi and noGi,MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    isn't that the non-action term in taoist philosophy?
    Last edited by GreenHornet; 5/05/2006 9:01pm at .