228065 Bullies, 4768 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1563
Page 103 of 157 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103 104105106107113153 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 10:03pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Askari
    I even remember a bullshido instructor telling me when I was a young'un that competing would "In the same way that a sword once used is now dull, so to will your ability be in a real fight after competition,"
    I can see why some competition narrows your repertoire (e.g. because you only train the 'killer move' to get Ippon), but the idea that fighting 'blunts' you as it would a sword...

Nuts. Reminds me of what Aristotle said: "[T]he greatest thing by far is to be a master of metaphor." Your master was not...
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 11:47pm

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DAYoung
    I can see why some competition narrows your repertoire (e.g. because you only train the 'killer move' to get Ippon), but the idea that fighting 'blunts' you as it would a sword...
    Only very specialized competition like "Sport Jiu Jitsu" or "Point Sparring" (yes I just compared JJ to TMA deal with it) but a large number of instructors, especially BJJ instructors are now upping the level of SD in the training and using that component for events like MMA.

On the whole I do see what you're saying and have complained about it for years in TKD. Most likely what drove me out of TKD and into the waiting arms of JJ.

I've read on other sites people talking that MMA fighters aren't good street fighters and that you should be backed up by someone who trians to street fight/SD. I gotta tell you (and I think they're about the same size) I'd much rather have Wanderlei Silva backing me up in a street fight than SokeJP.

I mean SokeJP would most likely be better dressed, no all the lyrics to Phantom of the Opera and be able to organize my shoe rack, but Wandy would be a much better street fight. But that's just my opinion.

TKD:XXbeaver:

Does the gold sash make me look fat?!?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 2:54am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHornet
    yeah I remember it too... I always wondered if I was the only one who found that turning your back at your opponent was a little dangerous in a street fight, plus you would have to knock someone who would be ready to come and help you instead of fighting you. Way to not look like an agressor...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Homer Simpson
    First you gotta shriek like a woman, then keep sobbing till he turns away in disgust. That's when it's time to kick some back...
    Sifu Homer knows all and will share it with you for $39.95! Or a forbidden donut...

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 3:05am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DAYoung

Nuts. Reminds me of what Aristotle said: "[T]he greatest thing by far is to be a master of metaphor." Your master was not...
    Sure, you can't only train one technique and be a one-shot wonder, but once you break it down, how many techniques do you really need? MMA is a good test of basic fighting ability against an opponent that, in theory, is relatively equal in size and strength. You can add all that other **** in to taste, but you should at least have the bare necessities required for MMA.

"Blah blah blah BJJ is a sport and rolling around on the floor is gay i don't give bjjs and i will never go to the ground."

Yeah but what happens when you end up there anyway fuckface?

Sorry, this rant isn't really directed at anyone in particular, I'm just annoyed because I have to pull an all nighter.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 3:12am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TKD Black Belt
    Only very specialized competition like "Sport Jiu Jitsu" or "Point Sparring" (yes I just compared JJ to TMA deal with it)

Oh know you didn't just compare Sport JJ to point sparring!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 10:59am

Style: BJJ @ OAMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=TKD Black Belt]Only very specialized competition like "Sport Jiu Jitsu" or "Point Sparring" (yes I just compared JJ to TMA deal with it)

Can somebody please tell me what TMA means? I see it all the time.
    Thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 11:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I read on the internet how Paul Vunak a respected man in the martial arts world (JKD) took up a BJJ guy on his offer of sparring and his straight blast did'nt work and he got submitted and was big enough to admit it. So I think he than went on to learn grappling.
    I wish I could remember the source for that I can't give you the link.

I always thought that the double blast from FSD was great and it would work. It does seem very overwhelming and you are'nt supposed to do it for a long time. Really just a few seconds to overwhelm and then move into finishing technique.
    So I was surpirised at the time when I read this about Mr.Vunak.
    Does anybodyhave any experience regarding this?
    Is this an example of what you guys are talking about that does'nt work?

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 11:05am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=enhanced]
    Quote Originally Posted by TKD Black Belt
    Only very specialized competition like "Sport Jiu Jitsu" or "Point Sparring" (yes I just compared JJ to TMA deal with it)

Can somebody please tell me what TMA means? I see it all the time.
    Thanks.
    Definition on Bullshido
    Traditional MArtial Arts: anything with antiquated training methods and honor codes in lieu of realisitic fight training or ability.

Rest of the world:
    TMA= deadliest forms of fighting ever.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 11:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 11:08am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by enhanced
    I read on the internet how Paul Vunak a respected man in the martial arts world (JKD) took up a BJJ guy on his offer of sparring and his straight blast did'nt work and he got submitted and was big enough to admit it. So I think he than went on to learn grappling.
    I wish I could remember the source for that I can't give you the link.

I always thought that the double blast from FSD was great and it would work. It does seem very overwhelming and you are'nt supposed to do it for a long time. Really just a few seconds to overwhelm and then move into finishing technique.
    So I was surpirised at the time when I read this about Mr.Vunak.
    Does anybodyhave any experience regarding this?
    Is this an example of what you guys are talking about that does'nt work?
    Many techniques would work if they were trained in a realistic manner. Problem is doing sticky hands, static drills, light no contact sparring gives you a false sense of security.