Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 11:56am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All ATA schools are McDojos. When you show me 1 ATA TKDer that can fight I will change my mind.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 12:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think ITF is the best from personal experience. They're the only ones that gave me some trouble, albeit it was under point sparring rules, but still.

WTF is painfully easy, jab jab cross to the head, clinch, knee knee elbow elbow. Right about at the second jab they dunno what to do. Pretty funny after the clinch.

The only ATA exp I had was this one guy who refused to spar. And another kid who showed me his school where they kicked pads to upbeat music.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 12:50pm

Style: Korean Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jking
    My argument is this: TKD, though like everything doesn't 100% suck, has a high percentage of mcdojism/bullshido. The ATA organization has also been discussed as a mcdojo/bullshido organization. End argument.

I think this subject has been covered alot but i'd rather post a new thread than derail someone elses.
    I think we just went through this not too long ago. One of the ATA certified instructor ceremonies got linked from the ATA forums and resulted in a mega thread a few months ago. Here is the link: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25617

But if you really feel like beating a dead horse have at it :beatdead:

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    2/15/2006 2:19pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Meh. You all suck.

Posted On:
    2/15/2006 2:30pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KageKaze
    All ATA schools are McDojos. When you show me 1 ATA TKDer that can fight I will change my mind.
    It doesn't count if they're crosstrained in Muay Thai either.

Last time I checked, WTF/ATA/ITF were all just TKD in the end. Which inevitably leads to the same place...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2006 12:55am

Style: Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shu2jack
    1.) Contact IS enforced. My division is require to make some form of contact to score points.

2.) a.) WTF is stop and go too. Sure there is really no "break", but you guys have the refs stop and seperate you all the time either from falling from your missed kicks or because you guys butt chests and won't seperate and spar.

b.) Little to none contact my ass.

3.) No, Jimmy.

4.) Again, no Jimmy. 5 years to earn my BB, my color belts stay at their ranks 2-4 times longer than the require minimum. Other schools may, my area doesn't.

5.) Yes and no. The 17-29 division has some cuties and I picked up my GF and an ATA tournament. (She is senior rank ;) ) Outside that division, no we don't have many cuties.

And honestly, I feel you should be more informed before making some of those accusations.

1.) Bullshit, all of the ATA books and videos I ever checked out all but discouraged any form of contact, going sofar as to award points for techniques that the opponent made no attempt to block, even if they were half a foot or more away, light, patty-cake contact was accepted during tournaments, but not encouraged.

2.)a.) See "knockout" comment.

b.)*cough*bullshit*cough* (see no.1)

3) Whether you see it or not, the ATA is nothing but a big-ass scam. Contracts, guaranteed black belts, closed tournaments, shitty certification seminars, xma, franchising, retarded kids and with black belts, less than worthless self-defense and shady lineages are but a few of the good reasons that ATA is a sham.

4.) What are you, retarded, blind, deaf, with cerebral palsy and a bad case of halitosis? I've met people with one or more of the above (and WAAAY too many with bad breath) that had absolutely NO PROBLEM getting a black belt in ATA Taekwondo in two years or less. Hell, I've met some that brag about getting a black belt in 1 year. I think that has a lot to do with the whole "every kid is a winner" slogan that gives a lot of kids, especially the ones that tend to be the worst off, a false sense of confidence, and possibly getting themselves injured, maybe even killed, in the process. Bragging about taking five years to "earn" your BB makes you look like the village idiot of the ATA, which is a damn scary thought.

5.)No denying that the girls in that range are cute, yet I've yet to meet many of much substance. I dated a girl of 22 when i was 15-16 from the ATA, and almost hit it off with a girl at an ATA booth at the mall a few months back, until i mentioned where i trained, which caused her to defend ATA and tell me how much my school sucked, all without provocation. I guess there's always the girls at chick-fil-a...

BTW, I feel that I'm pretty damn informed about how the ATA works, as is, I believe, JKDChick.

I went through the same phase a few years ago. Don't waste Your life with that ****-**** organization, learn something of real value, because whatever You study martial arts for, the ATA is more than likely not going to give it to You.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    2/16/2006 1:29am

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It takes some suckiness to suck more than WTF TKD and the ATA guys do it well. ATA gives WTF guys someone to make fun of.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2006 8:16pm

Style: AMAI TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1.) Bullshit, all of the ATA books and videos I ever checked out all but discouraged any form of contact, going sofar as to award points for techniques that the opponent made no attempt to block, even if they were half a foot or more away, light, patty-cake contact was accepted during tournaments, but not encouraged.
    Yes, call bullshit on the person who has sparred in the organization for 13 years. The rules state that no contact is required, but up to moderate contact can be made and accepted. The reason for this dispartiy is that judges can base the level of contact they want competitors to make on who is competing. 13 year old black belts might be told "light" contact. 23 year old 2nd degrees might be told "No killing each other, but have fun."

You have divisions that will go for "patty-cake", and then you have divisions they will knock each other round and follow their opponent out-of-bound swinging.

2.)a.) See "knockout" comment.

b.)*cough*bullshit*cough* (see no.1)
    a.) If the link shown to me was an example of a WTF knock out. It doesn't impress me and I do see contact of that level in "non-patty cake" divisions.

b.) *cough*ignorant*cough*

3) Whether you see it or not, the ATA is nothing but a big-ass scam. Contracts, guaranteed black belts, closed tournaments, shitty certification seminars, xma, franchising, retarded kids and with black belts, less than worthless self-defense and shady lineages are but a few of the good reasons that ATA is a sham.

4.) What are you, retarded, blind, deaf, with cerebral palsy and a bad case of halitosis? I've met people with one or more of the above (and WAAAY too many with bad breath) that had absolutely NO PROBLEM getting a black belt in ATA Taekwondo in two years or less. Hell, I've met some that brag about getting a black belt in 1 year. I think that has a lot to do with the whole "every kid is a winner" slogan that gives a lot of kids, especially the ones that tend to be the worst off, a false sense of confidence, and possibly getting themselves injured, maybe even killed, in the process. Bragging about taking five years to "earn" your BB makes you look like the village idiot of the ATA, which is a damn scary thought.
    As I mentioned, I am happy with the ATA school I train at. I am not retarded, deaf, blind, nor do I have cerebral palsy or halitosis. Whether you want to believe it or not, some ATA schools do have standards. I am not denying a lot of ATA schools suck ass. This thread was started based on MY expereince from MY ATA training.

I know what the ATA's problem is. It is the "Everybody is a Winner" mentality. It encourages medocracy and a "care-bear" environment. If every one is a winner, then the standards need to be lowered, making it easier for the rest to "slip" by.

"Everybody is a Winner" is both the ATA's blessing and curse. While I think that the purpose of martial arts is fighting, the ATA wants to use the arts for something more. It wants to develop people and improve people's lives. I have seen it do that with many people and I see the benifits of this. It really is a great thing. Unfortunately, the focus does then shift away from fighting and I don't agree with that.

5.)No denying that the girls in that range are cute, yet I've yet to meet many of much substance. I dated a girl of 22 when i was 15-16 from the ATA, and almost hit it off with a girl at an ATA booth at the mall a few months back, until i mentioned where i trained, which caused her to defend ATA and tell me how much my school sucked, all without provocation. I guess there's always the girls at chick-fil-a...
    Yeah, I would agree with you. Fortunately mine has a brain.

BTW, I feel that I'm pretty damn informed about how the ATA works, as is, I believe, JKDChick.

I went through the same phase a few years ago. Don't waste Your life with that ****-**** organization, learn something of real value, because whatever You study martial arts for, the ATA is more than likely not going to give it to You.
    JKDChick? She is an bitter old woman who was ignorant enough to get suckered into a shitty ass school. You want to tell ME how "pretty damn informed about how the ATA works" you are.....so you are taking 2nd information (and some brief 1st hand experience) and using it to argue against my personal 1st hand experience of the inner-workings of the ATA. Nice.

As I have mentioned, I have visited (and trained with) TKD people outside the ATA, I have taken some brief Judo, some brief boxing training, and am training people who have trained from a number of years outside the ATA. I am happy where I am, thank you. That doesn't mean I wouldn't jump at the opportunity to study Muay Thai, kickboxing, BJJ, or any of the other arts, but I like where I am. I know the flaws and BS in the ATA and I can live with that. I don't disown my entire family just because my cousins are fucking in-bred retards.
    Last edited by Shu2jack; 2/16/2006 8:19pm at .

Posted On:
    2/16/2006 9:03pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are there any ATA guys successful in kickboxing, MMA, or any other combat sports?

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    2/16/2006 9:29pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shu2jack

I am located in Southern Michigan and I work/go to school around Ann Arbor. I am more than happy to train with anyone and share knowledge. I am not punking out, but be aware I haven't trained as much as I would like due to my schedule and I recently "recovered" from tearing muscle out of my right thigh. I am still up for anything though and can go full speed.
    Hey, I'm near Dowagiac Micigain (northern Indiana). If you want to get together for some friendly sparing I'm always down. We can roll at my house, or you can come by the club. Just PM me if you want to hang out.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast