Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 2:24am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ....wait the dude who does ATA tkd...you don't use a side stance...? I dunno really what ATA rules are... what i read they seem... iffy do they not allow knock outs and stuff.. but i dunno...i like side stance for counters personally.

and ill defend tkd as a whole =P i think its a great art for what it is and if you have a great instructor/train hard. It is popularized to an extreme making the chances of finding a good trainer less then one would hope, but as a style i think its pretty good for teaching people feints,counters,and some pretty nice offensive kicks, rl defense situations...you never know what will happen =P

....my martial art is tkd atm so felt like throwin a comment in since i havent yet lol, i live in ohio, moving to vegas after i get my black belt under my master, going to take judo/tkd out there, and whatever else tickles my fancy =P if anyone knows any good schools in the vegas area drop me a line

I am a living legend!

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 2:25am

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You guys have geared wood breaking.

Where are you located at? I'll come give you a pressure testing of a reformed WTF Tkd'er.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 2:42am

Style: AMAI TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Apologies, you didn't in fact mention full-contact. It's generally implied when people say they're allowed to hit each other as hard as they want and that they use medium-hard contact type sparring, unless you're talking about fighting with a woody, which makes this an entirely different topic.
    No problems. But I do know what it is and isn't. I briuse, I bleed, I occassionally get knocked stupid and at times get knocked around, but it isn't anything like a MMA match or a street fight. Personally I wouldn't want to train any harder every class or injuries would start to cut into training time.

Care to elaborate on the self defense encounters you've (and others?) have had?
    Sister: Walking alone at night when a guy tried to pull her into the dark. She wrapped her arms around him, started kneeing his ribs, smacked him in the head, pushed him off, and ran.

Myself: Some typical High school ****. How I carried myself, how I talked, foot work to maintain distance, timing/evasion when contact was made to avoid getting hit/knocked around, etc. got me out of trobule. I never attempted to slug it out.

Outside of high school (around 19)...a couple of friends and I were hanging out and decided to head to Ypsilianti (in Michigan). My two buddies were in a band and were going to the apartment of a man who applied for the position of a drummer. Turns out the guy was HEAVILY drunk.

My friends decided to hang around and continue talking to him. Eventually the guy asked who the hell I was and my friend told him that I wasn't in the band, I did TKD instead. Well, the guy is a kick boxer as well and proceeded to tell me how much TKD sucks and is nothing but kicks. He confronted me and kept talking about how he would respect TKD if I would fight him and if I kicked his ass. I declined and remained sitting. I couldn't leave as my dumb-ass friends were my ride and they didn't want to leave yet. Eventally the guy left to go grab something and when he came back he had a kitchen knife in his hand. He told me TKD sucks and he would show me why. I was in a bad position (sitting on the floor and he entered the room 5 ft. way to the side/behind me) and he grabbed at my hair. I used a knifehand high block (laugh it up, I find blocks to be useful against grabs and he was standing over me) to block the hair grab and hold onto the non-knife hand. I slowly tried to stand up, but I didn't follow up because I knew that in my position I couldn't run or strike without leaving me open to get stabbed. So I waited until he started to make a move as I was trying to stand and he muttered something. I don't know what he muttered, but he passed out. He had a gaping gash at the top of his skull...probably from something that happened earlier. Police eventually came (I think they were responding to a noise complaint from the apartment we were in), the drunk's friends talked to the cops as my friends and I snuck out the back (we didn't want to get involved and I didn't want to deal with my parents), and I promised myself never to travel to Ypsilanti again.

Anyway, that doesn't prove my martial skill as it was luck and I realized that I could stay clam and function under pressure/life&death.

Other people have used it, but I don't know/remember the details or anything. We had a guy who was a bouncer train with us. That was interesting sparring him.

Nothing uber like some of the stories the Bad Asses of the forum have experienced, but I have seen where my training has helped me.

More posts coming....(My poor fingers!)

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 2:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ....wait the dude who does ATA tkd...you don't use a side stance...? I dunno really what ATA rules are... what i read they seem... iffy do they not allow knock outs and stuff.. but i dunno...i like side stance for counters personally.
    No, they don't allow K.O. and no, I don't use the side stance. I don't use jump or jump spin kicks either and the only spin I use is for the occassional spin hook kick.

My preferred tools are Jab, cross, hook, front kick, and round kick. I spar in a more "forward" stance in order to put more power and hip rotation into what I use.

You guys have geared wood breaking.

Where are you located at? I'll come give you a pressure testing of a reformed WTF Tkd'er.
    "Geared" wood breaking? Do you mean the plastic boards? We did it to save money/wood/cleaning the crap up after being broken/splinters flying into faces. Honestly, the plastic boards are harder to break. With wood you just need to hit solidly and it will break along the grain. With plastic, you HAVE to hit pretty much dead center or nothing will happen. That said, I think wood scares some people more mentally and I personally prefer it.

I am located in Southern Michigan and I work/go to school around Ann Arbor. I am more than happy to train with anyone and share knowledge. I am not punking out, but be aware I haven't trained as much as I would like due to my schedule and I recently "recovered" from tearing muscle out of my right thigh. I am still up for anything though and can go full speed.

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 2:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sirc, it says you have done MT for a few years. If you ever did come by I would love to see some of it and how you guys train. Michigan doesn't have much variety.

I am a living legend!

Achievements:

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 3:12am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Too far. You're like over 2000 miles away from me. Too bad. :(

By geared, I mean you guys were hogu's. What the hell is up with that? I'm not one to judge, but ATA is Gay. And it rhymes so it's got to be true.

My MT is negligible. I studied it for about a year, and have just kept up my conditioning and sparring for the last two-three years.

I am a living legend!

Achievements:

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 3:16am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yeah also, I train my TKD and crappling a lot more as the MT can just ride along when I train. It's a sort of amalgamation of the TKD and MT. They work well together and if anybody says otherwise, they're terrorists.

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 3:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Too far. You're like over 2000 miles away from me. Too bad. :(
    The road is never too long when your dreams are involved.

By geared, I mean you guys were hogu's. What the hell is up with that? I'm not one to judge, but ATA is Gay. And it rhymes so it's got to be true.
    Ugh, that is a very recent thing and it is only happening at National level testings. Other wise we go gear-less when holding.

From what I was told, some fuckers have been going to the testings and injuring board holders (badly) and so they are requiring holders to wear protective gear. Personally, I just would've demoted any "black belt" who couldn't hit a stationary target and then I would have their instructor publically flogged for even allowing their student to test. But that is just me.

I am a living legend!

Achievements:

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 3:29am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You guys still teach shitty things. Seriously, I'm thinking about going to the nearest ATA school and just challenging the mofo to a little sparring match to test his skill. He'll probably flip out when I kick his legs.

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 3:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You guys still teach shitty things.
    1.) WTF doesn't?

2.) Like what? Asking holders to wear protective gear just in case?

Seriously, I'm thinking about going to the nearest ATA school and just challenging the mofo to a little sparring match to test his skill. He'll probably flip out when I kick his legs.
    If you do it as they are attempting to land from a jump spin kick...yeah...they probably would "flip out". It would be pretty funny too.

Really, go head, doesn't bug me much.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast