Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Perpetually Punchdrunk

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 2:32am

Style: TKD, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that this whole full-contact sparring thing needs a little clarification, because it seems that every TKDer that comes on here is doing "full-contact sparring" to some degree.

-Just because you're allowed to hit as hard as you want, don't make it full-contact sparring. Full-contact thumb-wars isn't on the same level as full-contact TKD isn't on the same level as full-contact boxing isn't on the same level as full-contact MT.

-Getting hit by someone in TKD is very different from getting hit by someone in MT. I'm finding this out the hard way. By the way that "full-contact sparring" is getting thrown around by TKDers on Bullshido you'd think they're almost the same thing.

Big news: it's not even in the same league. You can use a few TKD kicks and give each other a few bruises, and call that full-contact, but it's not even in the same ballpark as getting punched in the face and kneed in the ribs repeatedly. The level of training and the weapons available to you DRASTICALLY affect your experience of "full-contact".

In an extreme example, if an art was ever invented where the only legal weapon to use in sparring was a punch to the arm, and you could punch as hard as you possibly wanted, you could still say you trained full-contact, continuously. But it doesn't mean ****, because the tools you're using wouldn't cut warm butter.
    Rad ki was made up by adolescents. I do not know who created trad ki but it was not made by adolescents. your an ass dude, Im not being a little bitch you are, your past the level of a bitch. Your beyond Bitch! If im easting my time with ki and psi, then your wasting time to prove frauds, and all **** like that! -theoutsider

Kick boxing is ok, but don't expect do beat a man like Rickson Gracie with that. You need a real martial art. You need Xing Yi Quan. -Emptyflower

The splits, how ever, have a few martial uses. Doing the splits for me, can put my fists in testical strike range.

dont ignore the Art for the Martial or else your just kick boxing

Yes i am serious, there are kicks that can block punches. we have them in Moo duk kwan.
    I want to learn how to use them in case my arm gets broken in a fight.
    what would you have me do? if my arm gets broke, not block punches? -sempi-stone

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 2:35am

Style: AMAI TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So your teacher has no qualifications? I mean other than that he's done it for xyz amount of time?
    Again, what are you looking for/at?

He has trained in, and completed, ATA instructor training, attended camps/certifications on our material and any new material introduced into the ATA, CPR/First aid certified, etc. Many programs the ATA runs to train their instructors/school owners my instructor has been through.

Has he trained in another style? Not to my knowlegde, no. Is he a certified physical trainer? No.

Perpetually Punchdrunk

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 2:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Qualifications usually mean a competition/fight record, lineage, or a general record of bad-ass-ness that accompanies a good teacher. Paying $400 for a certification course in Elementary school Taekwondo Instruction doesn't usually qualify.

And I'm still waiting for a response on the full-contact issue.
    Rad ki was made up by adolescents. I do not know who created trad ki but it was not made by adolescents. your an ass dude, Im not being a little bitch you are, your past the level of a bitch. Your beyond Bitch! If im easting my time with ki and psi, then your wasting time to prove frauds, and all **** like that! -theoutsider

Kick boxing is ok, but don't expect do beat a man like Rickson Gracie with that. You need a real martial art. You need Xing Yi Quan. -Emptyflower

The splits, how ever, have a few martial uses. Doing the splits for me, can put my fists in testical strike range.

Yes i am serious, there are kicks that can block punches. we have them in Moo duk kwan.
    what would you have me do? if my arm gets broke, not block punches? -sempi-stone

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 2:46am

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The biggest source of BS in ATA are the ways that instructors are given certificates to teach groundfighting (ATA BJJ), krav maga, knife defense and other stuff after attending a two-day weekend course. Because of this your certificates don't mean much do me. Has any ATA instructor you know of tested himself in competition outside ATA?

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 2:50am

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's only one thing worst than WTF TKD and that is ATA TKD. You guys give out belts like cupcakes at a birthday party.

I have never EVER seen an ATA person worth their weight. I mean I know of a few VERY good WTF TKD fighters and a few good chunners and ****, even a good Aikidoka. But absolutely ZERO ATA fags can cut it. End of story. Time to make a sandwich.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 3:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Double post:

Heres actually a better question - do you feel you are recieving awesome ATA TKD training, or awesome fight training?

now by the word fight that means self defense/ring
    I definately feel I am receiving awesome TKD training, period. I have went to different TKD schools that are not ATA and have a couple people who train under me who were not originally ATA TKD.

In terms of the ring- no. I work two jobs and go to school full time. I don't put in the effort required into my training right now to be "ring worthy". If I want to do "ring" stuff, and I have played around with it, I would go to a gym that specializes in that type of training. The ATA school simply doesn't train the way nesscary for the ring.

I have very briefly trained at a Judo and Boxing gym and I feel that the skills I have learned would benifit me in training either sport though. Judo is pretty different that TKD, but I had no problem being thrown/falling and with the boxing they really just wanted me to go into a boxers stance (I don't use the "side" TKD stance btw) and hold my hands slightly different. (Not higher, just not as far out from my face...my lead hand tends to sneak out)

In terms of self-defense, I find the training to be good and have used it in personal experance, as have others in my area.

I think that this whole full-contact sparring thing needs a little clarification, because it seems that every TKDer that comes on here is doing "full-contact sparring" to some degree.

-Just because you're allowed to hit as hard as you want, don't make it full-contact sparring. Full-contact thumb-wars isn't on the same level as full-contact TKD isn't on the same level as full-contact boxing isn't on the same level as full-contact MT.

-Getting hit by someone in TKD is very different from getting hit by someone in MT. I'm finding this out the hard way. By the way that "full-contact sparring" is getting thrown around by TKDers on Bullshido you'd think they're almost the same thing.

Big news: it's not even in the same league. You can use a few TKD kicks and give each other a few bruises, and call that full-contact, but it's not even in the same ballpark as getting punched in the face and kneed in the ribs repeatedly. The level of training and the weapons available to you DRASTICALLY affect your experience of "full-contact".

In an extreme example, if an art was ever invented where the only legal weapon to use in sparring was a punch to the arm, and you could punch as hard as you possibly wanted, you could still say you trained full-contact, continuously. But it doesn't mean ****, because the tools you're using wouldn't cut warm butter.
    I don't recall saying I sparred full contact or JKing asking how often I spar full contact.

No longer a Kaju-Critic

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 3:03am

supporting member
     Style: Kajukenbo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Care to elaborate on the self defense encounters you've (and others?) have had?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 3:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So many posts at once....give me time!

Qualifications usually mean a competition/fight record, lineage, or a general record of bad-ass-ness that accompanies a good teacher. Paying $400 for a certification course in Elementary school Taekwondo Instruction doesn't usually qualify.

-He doesn't have a "fight" record.

-Lineage...Our former Grand Master => Chief Master Allimeier (sp?) => My instructor.

Again, I never said I did "full contact". I said in the class room we did continueous sparring.

More posts coming...

Perpetually Punchdrunk

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 3:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Apologies, you didn't in fact mention full-contact. It's generally implied when people say they're allowed to hit each other as hard as they want and that they use medium-hard contact type sparring, unless you're talking about fighting with a woody, which makes this an entirely different topic.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 3:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The biggest source of BS in ATA are the ways that instructors are given certificates to teach groundfighting (ATA BJJ), krav maga, knife defense and other stuff after attending a two-day weekend course. Because of this your certificates don't mean much do me. Has any ATA instructor you know of tested himself in competition outside ATA?
    I agree with the 2-day certification courses.

Has any ATA instructor I know tested themselves in competition outside the ATA? No competitions, yet, but I have worked with Olympic sparring TKD, some judo, and some boxing. Nothing long enough to claim any type of profiencency in their style though. More of just with the purpose of learning more and seeing what I actually know. Have others competed outside the ATA? Yes. The ATA doesn't frown on that.

There's only one thing worst than WTF TKD and that is ATA TKD. You guys give out belts like cupcakes at a birthday party.

I have never EVER seen an ATA person worth their weight. I mean I know of a few VERY good WTF TKD fighters and a few good chunners and ****, even a good Aikidoka. But absolutely ZERO ATA fags can cut it. End of story. Time to make a sandwich.
    Honestly, I think WTF TKD is worse that ATA TKD, but that is personal opinion. Sparred guys using their rules, nothing impressive.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast