No longer a Kaju-Critic

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 1:27am

supporting member
     Style: Kajukenbo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

ATA tkd, teh suck?

Carry over from the thread about weak excuses against boxing.

POSTED by Shu2jack
    I have a theory.....

Even if the majority of TKDists/Karate people/what ever train to fight in a ring, they would still not get any respect. Even if it was non-stop, full contact, punches to the head allowed competition, and forms/one-steps were taught no respect would be given. We would told that we were not training in Karate/TKD, but training like a kick boxer or something.

Karate/TKD DOES mean sub standard martial to a large number of people. If you suck it is because of your art. If you kick ass it will because you copied off the training methods of styles that work/your school isn't the majority, so doesn't really fit/THOSE AREN'T KARATE PUNCHES!!! or TKD DOESN'T PUNCH!!!

So yeah.....get used to it Hannibal.
    I asked him to verify that he does ATA tkd, and he said yes. He asked what of it. I said

Lets forget the numerous posts on why TKD sucks. Lets talk about the fact that you're in ATA tkd.
    He asked to elaborate and so in order not to derail the thread I have made a new post.

My argument is this: TKD, though like everything doesn't 100% suck, has a high percentage of mcdojism/bullshido. The ATA organization has also been discussed as a mcdojo/bullshido organization. End argument.

I think this subject has been covered alot but i'd rather post a new thread than derail someone elses.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 1:37am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, but what is your point. Right now you are just stating an opinion.

You need to ask some specific questions or it will end up in trollshido.

No longer a Kaju-Critic

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 1:41am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really could care less if it gets moved to trollshido. I'm waiting for Shu2jack to come in with a response (hopefully he sees the thread). I really dont know how to word this thread responding to his question without making it seem like a troll job - so if he posts it'll put context to it. If not then away it goes.

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 1:42am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    taekwonpenis.

Thread over.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

No longer a Kaju-Critic

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 1:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    taekwonpenis.

Thread over.

you win.

Threads over lets go home.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 1:45am

Style: AMAI TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Carry over from the thread about weak excuses against boxing.

POSTED by Shu2jack

Quote:
    I have a theory.....

Even if the majority of TKDists/Karate people/what ever train to fight in a ring, they would still not get any respect. Even if it was non-stop, full contact, punches to the head allowed competition, and forms/one-steps were taught no respect would be given. We would told that we were not training in Karate/TKD, but training like a kick boxer or something.

Karate/TKD DOES mean sub standard martial to a large number of people. If you suck it is because of your art. If you kick ass it will because you copied off the training methods of styles that work/your school isn't the majority, so doesn't really fit/THOSE AREN'T KARATE PUNCHES!!! or TKD DOESN'T PUNCH!!!

So yeah.....get used to it Hannibal.

I asked him to verify that he does ATA tkd, and he said yes. He asked what of it. I said

Quote:
    Lets forget the numerous posts on why TKD sucks. Lets talk about the fact that you're in ATA tkd.

He asked to elaborate and so in order not to derail the thread I have made a new post.

My argument is this: TKD, though like everything doesn't 100% suck, has a high percentage of mcdojism/bullshido. The ATA organization has also been discussed as a mcdojo/bullshido organization. End argument.

I think this subject has been covered alot but i'd rather post a new thread than derail someone elses.
    I am not really sure what is being asked or what you exect from me in terms of a response.

I agree that "McDojoism" runs rampant in TKD and the ATA is no exception. I think the ATA is more susceptable to "McDojoism" because of how they set their system up and I do believe there are instructors who abuse it...though I am not going to give any names.

In itself, I do not think the ATA is a bullshit organization. I do like how they are organized. While I do not totally agree with their philosophy in regards to what they are mainly interested in teaching (and most people here totally disagree with it), I understand why they have it and I can apprciate it.

As you said, not 100% of something sucks. I am not saying the place where I train is "the ****", but I am generally happy with what I receive in terms of training at the ATA school I attend. The class room sparring is continueous (we don't stop for points...or even call them) with light-moderate contact depending on who you are sparring, I like the mental attitude used for the adult black belts by the head instructor, we spend as much time with punching (not the chambered kind) as we do kicking, and everyone there seems to keep a realisitic view of what they are learning.

No longer a Kaju-Critic

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 1:53am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How often do you go moderate - hard (not full mind you) contact? What qualifications do your instructors carry (Very important in my opinion)?

Statements should be based off experience. We have an ATA tkd school right in my little town and thats where my viewpoints come from. Do you feel that your school is an exception to the "norm" of ata tkd? Or do you feel that ata tkd just gets a bum rep?

This thread really is to discuss ATA tkd, and that subject related to Shu2jack.

Shu2jack
    Ok, why don't you start us off? I am more than happy to answer questions.
    Mostly related to this. Again, I am just trying not to derail the other thread by posting a new one here
    Last edited by JKing; 2/13/2006 1:55am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 2:17am

Style: AMAI TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How often do you go moderate - hard (not full mind you) contact?
    Every class. Unless there is no one around my size, which isn't often.

Our rule is that we can hit as hard as we want as long as we are not purposely trying to hurt each other, we are under control, and respect for your partner/others on the floor is being maintained.

What qualifications do your instructors carry (Very important in my opinion)?
    If you are talking about non-ATA qualifications, then I don't know. He doesn't teach non-ATA material so I don't see the problem.

What are you looking for in terms of qualifications? In terms of ATA qualifications, he has been in the art for over 25 years, holds many different positions in the organization, etc. As far as teaching ATA TKD, he is more than qualified.

Statements should be based off experience. We have an ATA tkd school right in my little town and thats where my viewpoints come from. Do you feel that your school is an exception to the "norm" of ata tkd? Or do you feel that ata tkd just gets a bum rep?
    I do feel the place I train at, and the place I teach at (I run a small ATA club) is in the top percentile in terms of ATA schools and standards. No promising of black belts (took me 5 years to earn mine), no required long contracts, no huge fees (when I started it was $45/mo. and the price hasn't risen that much), my instructor has a full time job and teaches TKD as a "hobby", what I have been taught in terms of technique is sound, etc.

I feel the ATA receives more bad rep than what it deserves, but it still deserves it's share. I think there are many good schools and instructors out there, but I also think there is a lot of bullshit in the ATA.

Would I recommend the ATA to some one? My answer would be the same as if some one asked me about a boxing gym. Check out the instructor, what they teach, how they teach, and what you want to learn. If I thought the ATA was complete and utter BS, I wouldn't be there any more.

No longer a Kaju-Critic

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 2:20am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So your teacher has no qualifications? I mean other than that he's done it for xyz amount of time?

No longer a Kaju-Critic

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 2:27am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Double post:

Heres actually a better question - do you feel you are recieving awesome ATA TKD training, or awesome fight training?

now by the word fight that means self defense/ring
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast