Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/11/2006 4:30pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Counter to sprawl and grabbing around torso/waist

You shoot and other fella sprawls with both arms locked around your torso (below ribs generally), you are on knees and Iíve generally found the legs to be within easy reach with a little forward pressure.

Iíve been finding myself in this position fairly often against a fellow taller and larger than myself. Now, I know thereís an easy counter (I remember being told not to grab around waist in a sprawl) and Iím thinking maybe armlock, but I donít know and canít think of specifics. In any case, what Iíve been doing is an iranian, which I wouldnít exactly call easy, although it definitely works (takes up alotta mat space though and my lower back is getting sore from lifting the fucker).

Assistance is required. God bless

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    2/11/2006 6:11pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personal favorite - peekouts.

http://www.themat.com/CoachesCorner/...ut/default.php

1. Pick which side you're going to. Assume the right for this example.

2. Peek your head out on the right, glue your left ear to his ribs to defend the guillotine (although your position should make it difficult for him.)

3) plant your left arm on the ground as a post, and control his left wrist with your right arm.

4) Shoot your left leg through the gap between his left leg and your right leg, as in the linked photo sequence -

http://www.themat.com/CoachesCorner/...eekout/005.jpg
    http://www.themat.com/CoachesCorner/...eekout/006.jpg
    http://www.themat.com/CoachesCorner/...eekout/007.jpg

This should end with you facing towards what had been your right, with your back against him, and his left arm still controlled by your right.

IMMEDIATELY high leg with your right leg (as in, kick over as if you were trying to hip bump sweep someone to your left) so that you turn yourself over so that you are facing him.

From here, either grab the legs for a sideways double, or take his back.

This is a very difficult more to explain textually. I'll look for some better pictures.

Posted On:
    2/11/2006 9:35pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fatherdog's post is a more general version of the one I was going to write. It's possible to do a variation where you scoop up unto the crotch to force them to roll and land with you over him in sidemount. If they don't roll then you'll force them into a devastating faceplant.

I learned this move as popularized by Minotauro, so that may help you in your search.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/11/2006 9:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought
    Fatherdog's post is a more general version of the one I was going to write. It's possible to do a variation where you scoop up unto the crotch to force them to roll and land with you over him in sidemount. If they don't roll then you'll force them into a devastating faceplant.

I learned this move as popularized by Minotauro, so that may help you in your search.
    I believe this is the same move I've been using, as I was taught it was called the 'iranian'. It works, but this guy is heavy. I didn't know about the more general peekout though, I'm going to have to look into this for next week's training.

Thanks much for the assistance, hopefully it will save my back (and not his, hehe)

Posted On:
    2/11/2006 9:45pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The guy I last did that on is much heavier than me, but he faceplanted. Good luck!

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    2/12/2006 12:11am

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't been successful in finding any other pictures of this technique, unfortunately. Done correctly it doesn't really put any strain on your back (believe me, I'm a tremendous *****; I only do moves that are easy). If you have a hard time with it, try to find a wrestler and ask him to show you a peekout.

UFC Fighter

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 7:20am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA, No-Gi Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Peekouts rule.

We used to have a kid who came to our place who was a real asshole, but sucked. He would be absolutely clueless and tooled, but when he would grapple with one of the girls would be rough. So I would always shoot a shitty double leg on him to start out, he would sprawl and I would peekout really hard and face plant him over and over.

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 7:28am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not asking this to be smart, but what about when the guy on top has his hands clenched together?

I tried peeking out on him by he just shoved me back. He had a weight advantage of around 80 lbs.

I take it I am just screwed . . .

UFC Fighter

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 7:41am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA, No-Gi Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even if his hands are together, you can still (usually) peak out. If you are doing it properly, you should pop through his grip.

That said... 80 pounds is a huge weigth difference. I can peak out on big guys (like 220 or so) so thats like 70 on me... but I am good at the move and I know it well. In general, dont shoot on someone who is 80 pounds heavier than you.

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 8:24am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Lau
    Even if his hands are together, you can still (usually) peak out. If you are doing it properly, you should pop through his grip.

That said... 80 pounds is a huge weigth difference. I can peak out on big guys (like 220 or so) so thats like 70 on me... but I am good at the move and I know it well. In general, dont shoot on someone who is 80 pounds heavier than you.
    Oh sorry - let me add some background. Pure grappling session. He was in my guard after throwing me, where upon he started to pass and I desperately tried to keep my legs crossing over (the whole right to left and back game) to avoid it. Eventually, he just shoved them out of the way, but I managed to turtle before he closed the distance.

It was then that he had the sprawl-like/failed shoot position.

Thanks for the feedback.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast