Posted On:
    2/15/2006 8:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Muqatil
    Follow up question: " did you get shots for Rabies?!" :icon_tong
    Or: " I've heard once they bite, you can't get them off unless you kill them."
    Maybe you turn into a ninja yourself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2006 8:47am

Style: BBT/Flinging poo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone that uses "earth element" to mean ground fighting is being an idgit. Hayes came up with all this mystic crap which is still being an annoyance. Some people still like to use it to sound "cool". Makes me want to poke them in the eye.

Spunky, you won't see Dale or Ed hitting hard all that often, but when they do, it freaking hurts. I've taken pops from both of them. For looking like a sweet old man, Ed is evil. You're right though about how they train. They are at a level where they are learning differently and different things than someone who is beginning.

A good example is a comparison between one of Dale's classes and one of his old students or even my classes. Dale's can be a little less intense, a little more fine-tuned to learning some of the nuances of items (they can be downright brutal at times though,you won't see those classes as a guest).

One of my classes is much faster usually, a little harder physically. I push myself and my students because I'm still figuring out how to make all of this work all the time. Everything I do in the class is something I have learned from Dale, Jack, or Sensei though. I'm doing what I need at my level of training, just like anyone else.

We have done Randori in Dale's classes also. It just isn't what some people want to accept, since it isn't their version of sparring. It all comes back to whatever floats your boat. If you don't like it, great; one less person to worry about in training. If you like it, great; one more person to try crap out on.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2006 9:08am

Style: BBT/Flinging poo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    What bothers me are the instructors who fail to see that limitation and cover it by claiming that groundfighting isn't necesarry instead of referring the student to a catch, bjj, judo or sambo school. To me it's no better than a krotty guy who says "don't grapple with people, just hit them".

Some people want to think that what we learn is perfect. It isn't. No art is. They are all lacking something. If you're happy with it, that's all that matters. If you want to wokr on the areas you feel are weak then do it. Ask your instructor about what you think. If the instructor is honest and practical, he should tell you whether or not he can help out, or if you need to go somewhere else.

A good example is my experience with some of the guys in Afghanistan that did MMA or BJJ. I had an absolute balst rolling with them. I sucked! :toothy11: I wasn't going to submit any of the instructors while playing by their rules. My only advantage was being hard to hold onto. LOL They had to work to get any submissions on me (they usually did anyway). We would do 3 minute rounds which sucked!

I didn't have any formal ground work training, but the sensitivity gained from my training helped me get out of a lot of ****. I had a blast. I may do it again in the future when I have time.

I wouldn't ever dream of teaching someone how to fight on the ground, ala BJJ/MMA. I can teach someone how to put someone on the ground, pin them, how to get up or use weapons down there, but not how to get into a ring and submit someone.

Your RBSD Cannot Save You Now.

Posted On:
    2/15/2006 1:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Spanish Rapier/Epee/Foil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :ninjafigh
    How many Ninjas does it take to screw in a lighbulb?
    One to screw in the bulb, one to track down and kill the one responsible for burning the bulb out in the first place, and another one to flip out and kill everybody on the block so that there are no witnesses.
    All will kill themselves by forcing a frisbee down their throat.
    :ninjafigh

Posted On:
    2/15/2006 4:37pm

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Funny thing is, I first learned bridge and roll from a Taijutsu guy. Then again, he also trained with Dave Beneteau, so who knows?

AFAIK, "Earth," is the what Hayes uses as the basics category in his system.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2006 4:55pm

Style: Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another funny thing I just remembered is that it was a person training BJJ/kickboxing who did the biting ME from the bad side of a choke a couple of times.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678