Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2006 5:23pm

Style: Jujutsu, freestyle Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    KageKaze, you seem to dislike the Bujinkan, yet you've made references to throwing rubber shaken during a sparring match. Do you just like to practice "unfair" ninjutsu-type tactics, or are you affiliated with an X-kan?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2006 5:36pm

Style: None at the moment,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote
    Another great way to distract him is to cover your arm in nail varnish, light it on fire, uppercut the other guy while shouting "Shoryu-Ken!", and then extinguishing it before the fire can burn your skin.
    You seem to have confused distract someone with set yourself on fire and end up in the serious burns unit and/or possibly dead.

Also I think you meant 'nail varnish remover' the active ingredient being acetone which is a very powerful solvent, highly flammable. I'm sure you're joking but be aware there is no chance of extinguishing a solvent fire on your body before being burned.

Heel Hook Hunter

Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class

Posted On:
    2/11/2006 5:39pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: Jiu Jitsu | Knife

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train that a school that includes making of the same Schools as the x-Kan. Basically we are an ex-Genbukan Dojo. Our licenses comes from Tanemura Sensei.

Now my personal history puts me through Genbukan Ninpo Bugei and Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu. My time in the Bujinkan was marked by people telling me how thier techniques were too deadly to spar (even though I was sparring with them in the Genbukan), little to no contact striking and god worship Hatsumi. Dude I can tell you stories, the pinnacle of which is a Bujinkan 5th dan telling me that top mount was a bad position then trying to pinch me off.

Is the entire Bujinkan ****? No. However 95% of there American Dojo's are.

Edit: There is real Ninjutsu outside of the X-kans. That is propagranda that the Bujinkan is the only way. Many Ko-Ryu Japanse Bujutsu includes a Section of Ninjutsu. In addition there are people like Tanaka Fumon teaching Ninjutsu and Samurai Bujutsu in Japan without any relation to Takamastsu-den.
    Last edited by Plasma; 2/11/2006 5:41pm at .

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    2/11/2006 5:50pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Out of curiosity what exactly are the rules set down for your sparring?

and weapon sparring?

Heel Hook Hunter

Achievements:

Posted On:
    2/11/2006 6:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
    Out of curiosity what exactly are the rules set down for your sparring?

and weapon sparring?
    Unarmed: Bare Knuckle. No clenched fist to the face (head ok, but no face). All strikes legal, throws and ground work. Strikes are legal on ground (still no clenched fist to the face).

Sometimse we just do Judo randori : Judo Rules (w/ or w/o the ippon rules)

Weapon Sparring: Mainly we do Sword sparring. We use fukuroshinai
    http://www.bujindesign.com/weapons_bamboo.html

For knife, we just use the wooden tantos.

If someone gets a spear (sometimes we use spear v. sword) we use a KompoYari. Its a long stick with a leather pad at one end.

We never use gloves or anything.

Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    2/11/2006 6:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How does taking a full strike with one of those bujindesign weapons feel? I've been investigating options for full-contact weapon sparring at my dojo, and so far chanbara gear looks to be the best option. One concern I have is that the swords might bend when struck together which would take away the "real" feeling of the sword and perhaps change the mechanics of sword technique. Tim Bathurst makes Tombo weapons which are bamboo shaft coverd with a pad and wrapped in leather. http://www.timbathurst.net/tombo.html Are your bujindesign weapons the same as that? I think these tombo weapons look like a good option as well, but I don't yet know how much damage a full contact strike with one could do. I've read about your bokken sparring episodes Kagekaze, and I'm far to ***** for that.

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Posted On:
    2/11/2006 6:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, those look much cooler than these. I like the raw bamboo look of the latter, but the felt looks it was sewn on my some child labourers, and I'm not down with that ****.

They're both sweet though. I'll take a beating with either one anytime.
    Last edited by Neildo; 2/11/2006 6:41pm at .
    :new_all_c

Heel Hook Hunter

Achievements:

Posted On:
    2/11/2006 6:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    How does taking a full strike with one of those bujindesign weapons feel? I've been investigating options for full-contact weapon sparring at my dojo, and so far chanbara gear looks to be the best option. One concern I have is that the swords might bend when struck together which would take away the "real" feeling of the sword and perhaps change the mechanics of sword technique. Tim Bathurst makes Tombo weapons which are bamboo shaft coverd with a pad and wrapped in leather. http://www.timbathurst.net/tombo.html Are your bujindesign weapons the same as that? I think these tombo weapons look like a good option as well, but I don't yet know how much damage a full contact strike with one could do. I've read about your bokken sparring episodes Kagekaze, and I'm far to ***** for that.
    First I don't adovate sparring with a bokken. Trust me it sucks.

The link you posted seems similiar if not the same. Tell you the truth getting hit with one doesn't feel great. However, it not crippling pain either. It hurts, you know got hit (especially in the hand or head). Which is good, you shouldn't want to get hit with it (like a real blade). They are tough and can collide well. If the rare event the bamboo breaks the bag will keep it from going into someone's skin.

Basically, they hurt, and they will open one some impact wounds (especially on your hands).

They are great for sparring though.

Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    2/11/2006 6:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, as for ninjas and groundfighting. Once we rolled on the ground at training. It was **** because we didn't know what to do, standup judo-style randori would have been more appropriate. Afterwards this guy said that he rolled with a BJJ friend of his, and his friend managed to pin him hard, the ninja said that he grabbed the guy's balls and he yelped and jumped off him and said "We don't train for that!" and the ninja said "We do". Personally I haven't investigated nutgrabs during rolling yet so I don't know how effective a tactic it is. My guess is it's not the sure-fire winner some people make it out to be.

Heel Hook Hunter

Achievements:

Posted On:
    2/11/2006 6:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One different with the bujin design. There is no pad in them. It just a peice of bamboo with the top 1/3 split with a draw knife and a leather cover.

Edit: They don't bend at all when they collide.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast