Posted On:
    2/11/2006 11:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sport JJ revisted and an appology

Before I post this vid I want to really apologize to JKDChick and Phrost

Last time I was here I indeed acted like a "whinny little bitch" about having a thread moved to Trollshido. My only weak excuse is that I was fighting a bad head cold and rarely get sick and when I do I become a truly miserable ass and a "whinny little bitch." Running this site can't possibly be easy so I am sorry for my "bitchyness" and general retardation that day.

So anyways here is a video taken from a recent Sport JJ competition just outside of Toronto. I am not in this video and have nothing to do with it. But it is a good example of sport jj, which I ascertain is a good form of competition in-between grappling and full MMA

The guys who made it are from a MMA club

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...54002552&q=WKF

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    2/11/2006 11:11am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, you apologized. Welcome back.

PS. I you were really sorry, you fight a monkey with a stun gun.

Posted On:
    2/11/2006 2:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    at 1:54 nice throw. 2:04 flying arm bar? the guy jumps on his back and grabs the guys arm! sweet.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    2/11/2006 2:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't like SJJ for a few reasons:

1) The gi

2) The fruity rules about where you can hit, how hard, and what with

3) The time limit

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    2/11/2006 3:30pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you take out the gi, the time limit on the ground and rules about striking you have MMA, which is great, but like I have said that this type of competetion is a good step inbetween MMA and grappling with no striking.

If you get your arse beaten in SJJ it's a good idea NOT to do MMA style matches. Learning striking and grappling is not the same as learning how to apply them together. Using kicks and punches to set up take downs and how to do take downs throw kicing and punching defenses.

Also the rule regarding how hard you can hit is - for better or worse, not inforced strictly and you are only going to be called on really obvious attempts to knock people out.

By the way those guys in that video are from http://www.warriormac.com which is the dojo Carlos Newton teaches and trains out of so are MMA guys.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    2/11/2006 3:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also the rule regarding how hard you can hit is - for better or worse, not inforced strictly and you are only going to be called on really obvious attempts to knock people out.
    Which is ubergay. It should either be enforced, or not. You shouldn't have to guess every time you enter a match what the ref is gonna be like this time or whether you have to protect your head or not, that's fucking retarded.

Pankration is much better amatuer MMA. You still can't hit in the face, but at least you can use knees and elbows.

Posted On:
    2/11/2006 3:51pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by I Choke You
    Which is ubergay. It should either be enforced, or not. You shouldn't have to guess every time you enter a match what the ref is gonna be like this time or whether you have to protect your head or not, that's fucking retarded.
    You should always protect your head anyways, intentional or not you can get clocked in this type of tournament. The refing issue is more an organizational thing, and they should have one standard they all agree on, but you're dealing with volunteers not professional refs.

[QUOTE=Pankration is much better amatuer MMA. You still can't hit in the face, but at least you can use knees and elbows.[/QUOTE]

I would say Pankration is more than just amateur MMA, and is several steps above Sport JJ, just as it is several steps above your typical grappling tournament. I don't think you can compare Pankration and sport JJ.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    2/11/2006 3:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok...first, if no head shots are supposed to be allowed, then no, it does not make sense to protect an area that is not supposed to be a target, because you leave yourself more open to body shots. I've done this, I know.

Pankration...I think we're not both talking about the same thing, or you are just very wimpy. It's really similar to SJJ, with knees and elbows allowed to the body.

Posted On:
    2/11/2006 4:09pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by I Choke You
    Ok...first, if no head shots are supposed to be allowed, then no, it does not make sense to protect an area that is not supposed to be a target, because you leave yourself more open to body shots. I've done this, I know.

Pankration...I think we're not both talking about the same thing, or you are just very wimpy. It's really similar to SJJ, with knees and elbows allowed to the body.

Head shots are allowed, just not full power.

When you say Pankration I picture Bas Rutten and Shamrock fighting in Japan wearing speedos and those weird boot things, and punding the **** out of each other.

And I might be very wimpy

BTW in an unrelated question, since you do shooto type wrestling, what do you know of Erik Paulson's CSW? Is it any good?

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    2/11/2006 4:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Head shots are allowed, just not full power.
    Oh...that crap. That's even worse. In competition that ends up meaning confusion and "accidental" contact that's not really accidental.

When you say Pankration I picture Bas Rutten and Shamrock fighting in Japan wearing speedos and those weird boot things, and punding the **** out of each other.
    Ok...now imagine that, with no head shots. That's amatuer pankration.

BTW in an unrelated question, since you do shooto type wrestling, what do you know of Erik Paulson's CSW? Is it any good?
    I only know of him from watching him fight and reading magazines, but from what I can tell, he knows what he's doing and is probably a good instructor.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast