supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i get the impression as well......

cite=site in this context

--
    Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    4/30/2003 3:10pm

Style: lame

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sam, from what I read Yip Man was pissed off at Bruce because.... Bruce just stopped training with him and then went off to make movies and a few years later he came back to Yip's house and offered him a lot of money to teach him the rest of the Wing Chun system. Needless to say, Yip was very insulted (you know how the Chinese are) and refused to teach him anymore. They left on bad terms.

Fig Newtons are fruit and cake, suckah.

Posted On:
    4/30/2003 3:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Buffalo Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Balloonknot, that was documented in one of Ip/Yip Chun's books, said that Bruce offered to buy him a much larger apartment if he would put the entire system on film for him.

Rumor has it that Bruce did apologize eventually for his rudeness, but too much time had pass for it make a difference because Ip Man died very soon after.

"But some apes they gotta go, so we kill the ones we don't know" - 'Ape shall never kill Ape' by The Vandals
    Apu: "Oh! You have just been Apu'd!"

Posted On:
    4/30/2003 4:05pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sorry to hear that, I had heard that they were at least talking to each other when Bruce came back to Hong Kong but it will take me a day or two to dig up the sources. Also while the second part of the story may be true, Bruce didn't leave Hong Kong and go straight into show biz.

He left HK in 1959 and ended up at the University of Washington where he pursued a BA. He did not get involved in Show Biz until 1964 after he had given a demonstration at Ed Parker's International Karate championships. My dates come from The Original Martial Arts Encyclopedia, by John Corcoran and Emil Farkas (pp. 344, 346) interesting stuff.

Posted On:
    4/30/2003 4:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really think Bruce Lee's JKD never really got the recognition it deserved. When Lee came out with it in the 60's people trashed him for it. Even when he died people still trashed JKD. Even to this day people are trashing his accomplishment. It seem it was only after the UFC (per say) that people began to re-examine his art.

"Do what thou wilt is the whole of the Law"
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    4/30/2003 5:59pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A few factual corections: there were three men Bruce promoted into a position to teach "JKD": James Lee (who died before "making" any other instructors), a guy whos name I can't remember right now who never gave out a certification, and Dan Inosanto. Dan is only person to EVER give certification to teach JKD. Anyone who claims JKD lineage that does not trace back to Dan is deluding themselves. That being said, they might still be a great martial artist and a truce JKD Concepts person.

And as an aside, you guys are aware Yip Man was a very serious drug addict? He was on and off opium his whole life (he had been given a charity janitor job at the gym where he wound up teaching to get him off the street). He died homeless and alone and on drugs. I find fith hand information about the guys attitudes later in life to be sort of ... suspect. Though it is true he refused Bruce's request to film him.

"I'm willing to bet I could **** up an emu real good, if I got the drop on the bastard."
    -- KC Elbows, my new hero.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2003 6:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    JKD is basicly the best martial art ever invented. bruce lee made it up because he was the best in the world. JKD is made up of chinese karate and army jui-jitsu wich was tought to bruce by dan inosanto and jackie chan. JKD is a sub-sytem of shoalin kung-fu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2003 6:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By the way iam joking.

Posted On:
    4/30/2003 6:57pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hmmm. No I never heard that about Yip Man. I thought he died from throat cancer. Don't mean to be argumentive JKD Chick but what is the sourcing on that addict information? I know that Yip Man was photographed doing the complete wooden man form a couple weeks before his death so he didn't seem that disfunctional. But WTF do I know? I certainly wasn't there at the time.

If I may play JKD jeopardy the second man is Taki Kimura of Seattle. I have also seen Jerry Beasley claim at http://www.mawn.net/ki29.htm that Ted Wong also had an instructor certificate. I don't know if this is true or not.

The last interesting piece of the puzzle is that Gary Dill of Oklahoma claims that James Lee gave him written permission to teach his art on December 7, 1972 two weeks before James died. Later Dill was on the Board of Directors of the Jeet Kune Do Society (1986-1992)along with Insanto whom I would assume would have protested if the guy was a phony.

It is also possible that Dill was appointed because they preferred to have him inside the tent then outside where he could cause more trouble. (i.e. operate without any supervision) Dill's version of events is available through his write up on a page hosted by the Sokeship Council, which may or may not be one of these self promotion organizations.

I can't reproduce the link because of a certain character I can't duplicate but if you search Google for Gary Dill and JKD the page is one of the first five provided. I think Chris Clugston also may be connected to Dill in some way which would not speak well of Dill. "Hey Chris it was I who trained you. Stop talking about that gladiator crap".

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    4/30/2003 8:04pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There was a special editon of Black Belt magazine last year that reprinted an article about Yip Man. Let me look around for it at the gym and I'll throw some stats together.

Just as a comparison, I'm a PFS/Vunak baby and jkd_fighter is in Dill's lineage. Both of them have good and bad points ... though I will say as crazy as Paul is, I've never heard him bad mouth anyone the way he gets bad-mouthed.

"I'm willing to bet I could **** up an emu real good, if I got the drop on the bastard."
    -- KC Elbows, my new hero.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast