Administrator

Posted On:
    2/11/2006 12:55pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by benfscott
    I love how aggressive people get about knocking on traditional martial arts...

So now I'm a street bitch? Brilliant. I love it. Perhaps the reason these comments have been raised a few times before is because no-one ever responds to them with anything other than pointless rhetoric and macho posturing.

You didn't respond to anything I said. You didn't have a valid opinion on the points I raised. Or perhaps you did, but were unable to articulate it properly without ending up calling me a Street bitch.

What also made me laugh was the comment about my typing a thesis... My friend, some of us are able to type more than a couple of paragraphs before our fingers/brains start to hurt.

All this rubbish aside though, I'm interested in your opinions on what I actually said, with all the slightly crap insulting stuff thrown away. Come on dude, let's play nice. Aren't forums supposed to be for debate?
    No you are muddling your point. Your whole paragraph can be summed up like this:

I train for the street. Sport fighting has rules and isn't effective.

Why do you need three paragraphs to say this Bullshit. It has been said before and answered before.

I have addressed your points, you choose not to see.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2006 12:57pm

Style: Southern Praying Mantis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wagamichi
    This is debate. Bullshido style!

Ha ha... Well said that man. I take it all back. :new_smile

Can't remember how it's supposed to go... Do we go straight to insulting each others familys or talk about each other's religious beliefs before inviting each other to a transatlantic punch-up? :toothy5:

Also have the horrible horrible feeling that some readers of these posts took my gun comments seriously. It's a cliche I know, but that was what Brits refer to as sarcasm...

Posted On:
    2/11/2006 12:59pm

Style: wagamichi shorei kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    China is the land of the finger jab... :-)

You seem to think I have a problem with Kung-fu. Nothing could be farther from the truth. I am kinda high up in Shaolin-chu'an fa mei-hua. I have trained with a lot of chinese, this is how i know WC sucks.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/11/2006 1:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Funny news/experiment:

I have severely pissed off some friends/family members while drunk b/c I like to hold them down and knuckle ribs/noogie/etc. Sometimes this makes them VERY MAD and I have been punched/pinched in the crouch/throat several times by very angry (and sometimes also drunk) people. If I wasn't such a nice guy I'd punch them back, but instead just restrain them further and continue to tickle/knuckle/probe/gayshit et al. Something tells me that b/c of this, if I wanted to jack their **** it would be quite easy to defend against attacks of such a clumsy/desperate nature done by idiots who can't wrestle/grapple worth a damn, much less get back to their feet.

Oh, plus the plethora of vids/arguments posted here and all over the vast intraweb.

In short:

SEARCH FUNCTION N00B :google:

Posted On:
    2/11/2006 1:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=benfscott]Ha ha... Well said that man. I take it all back. :new_smile

Can't remember how it's supposed to go... Do we go straight to insulting each others familys or talk about each other's religious beliefs before inviting each other to a transatlantic punch-up? :toothy5:
    [QUOTE]

Well...Have at you!

Start by windmilling in....none of that jacki chan bullock...if you have keys put them in your hand...make every strike count...Soccer!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2006 1:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That 'I train for the street thing'. Makes it sound as though I'm setting myself up as some bloody vigilante, but if you want to use such colourful language then I guess it's a fairly accurate description. Growing up in the crappest parts of south-east London I got attacked, mugged, bottled whatever so many times when I was a kid that realistic self defence became a priority for me.

Never said sport fighting isn't effective, just said I've seen/performed some counters in real-world situations that wouldn't be allowed in a ring.

Posted On:
    2/11/2006 1:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My favorite brittish kung-fu.

http://www.lookatentertainment.com/v/v-509.htm

Posted On:
    2/11/2006 1:19pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Strange... I have a ton of respect for the grappling arts but whilst I watch MMA tournaments all the time, I'm not a sports fighter. I'm genuinely just interested in self defence and I have done the thumb in the eye thing myself, and seen good grapplers get repeatedly elbowed in the spine as they go for a takedown against another Kung Fu practitioners...

Surely there are just good fighters and bad fighters - In a real-world no rules fight I really think this scissors-paper-stone 'Jui-Jutsu beats Wing Chun' mentality will often leave people on the floor in a pool of blood wondering why their invincible technique failed them, whatever style they train in.

I admit I have definitely seen more embarrassingly inneffectual Kung Fu classes being taught than I've seen good ones (possibly only outdone by TKD!), but ignorance of a martial art is ignorance, regardless of how commonly held those opinions are...

I think to distill Wing Chun down to 'inneffectual chain punches' like so many people do, or saying 'Wing Chun can't defend against style b' is like saying Jui Jutsu or Judo practitioners can only fight people wearing a gi. Simply a load of bollocks.

I have had good teachers and terrible teachers and strangely, the one that have taught me the most are the ones who don't fight in the ring/octogon - they are the ones who live in the ****-hole areas, have HAD to learn to be tough both mentally and physically, can read when it is going to 'kick off' in a pub, and ultimately, are prepared to do the most to end a fight as quickly as possible. Not nice but effective. To say these guys are not great fighters because they aren't trained gapplers is seriously doing them a disservice.

Anyway, I await the inevitable flames as I dare to stick up for Wing Chun...
    BJJ and other "sport arts" can easily be adapted for self defense situations. Anyone skilled can defend against eye gouges, throat strikes, and other so called "street moves." Also, you lost credibility when you advocated elbow striking to the spine during takedowns.

Watch the NHB Jason Delucia vs Royce Gracie fight. Lots of elbows to the spine, no pools of blood. Undoubtedly Delucia is probably better at Kung Fu than your teachers also.

I'm not saying they're useless, but I feel these moves can easily be countered by the "sport fighting" community also.
    Last edited by TehDeadlyDimMak; 2/11/2006 1:21pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2006 1:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Camus
    Funny news/experiment:

I have severely pissed off some friends/family members while drunk b/c I like to hold them down and knuckle ribs/noogie/etc. Sometimes this makes them VERY MAD and I have been punched/pinched in the crouch/throat several times by very angry (and sometimes also drunk) people. If I wasn't such a nice guy I'd punch them back, but instead just restrain them further and continue to tickle/knuckle/probe/gayshit et al. Something tells me that b/c of this, if I wanted to jack their **** it would be quite easy to defend against attacks of such a clumsy/desperate nature done by idiots who can't wrestle/grapple worth a damn, much less get back to their feet.

Oh, plus the plethora of vids/arguments posted here and all over the vast intraweb.

In short:

SEARCH FUNCTION N00B :google:

Hmmm... I originally posted a response to a comment about the Wing Chun fella quote, trying to elaborate on what I felt he actually meant.

This then turned into something different totally different and I really didn't feel the requirement to search other posts before replying to the mini barrage....

IMO I don't believe any style is better than another (excepting the rule that I have never seen a TKD man who could fight, but I'm sure there must be some out there). I believe in a fight what comes first is the mentality, then the technique, then the strength/stamina.

What I do believe however, is that a great teacher is more important than a great 'style'. There's just as many crap grapplers out there as strikers.

Perhaps I should have just said that at the beginning, but 'use the seach function noob?' Condescending so-and-so. :evil6:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2006 1:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wagamichi
    Ha ha, it's Paul Kaye. Pure genius. I have it on VHS.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast