Actual Photo

Posted On:
    2/15/2006 8:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty

That is my goal to make all the different ideas from WC gel I've gathered into an acceptably safe full contact sporting format.
    Full Contact Slapboxing !! Thats a great idea !

I wonder why this hasnt been done yet ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2006 8:35pm

Style: Jujutsu, freestyle Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's this magic ingredient that apparently all JJ students are imbued with the moment they first don a gi?
    The "magic ingredient" is accepting that you can't defend against grappling without understanding it yourself. It took me more than a decade of having my head up my ass to understand this.
    Dude, I'm a standup guy. I'm more comfortable and more skilled on my feet. Nevertheless, I routinely train in grappling, incuding against my much larger buddy who ALWAYS owns me when we roll. I'm competing in the NAGA tourney in March, and I don't even consider myself a grappler.
    If you ever want to become a good, or even decent fighter, you'll have to understand and DEAL WITH all ranges of combat, grappling included.
    Now pull your head out of your ass, wipe off the **** and put on a gi, bitch.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2006 8:45pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally I dont care for arm punches.

There are WC principles concerning themselves with drop footing and pivoting to generate power using the whole body.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2006 9:53pm

Style: Southern Praying Mantis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WunHungLo
    The "magic ingredient" is accepting that you can't defend against grappling without understanding it yourself. It took me more than a decade of having my head up my ass to understand this.
    Dude, I'm a standup guy. I'm more comfortable and more skilled on my feet. Nevertheless, I routinely train in grappling, incuding against my much larger buddy who ALWAYS owns me when we roll. I'm competing in the NAGA tourney in March, and I don't even consider myself a grappler.
    If you ever want to become a good, or even decent fighter, you'll have to understand and DEAL WITH all ranges of combat, grappling included.
    Now pull your head out of your ass, wipe off the **** and put on a gi, bitch.
    My last post on this thread as it seems to be getting out of hand. When did I ever say I had an issue with BJJ? When did I say it wasn't effective? Point it out for me... Did you not read the post where I said I was going to go to some of my instructor's JJ classes?

For some reason, people can't cope with the concept that I believe what I have learnt to be as effective as what other people have learned. Nothing more, nothing less. And the amount of times I have had to defend myself and I'm still here to tell the tale, I feel vindicated. Not saying I'm a great martial artist. Not even saying I'm a great fighter, but the concepts and techniques I have learned doing three different but fundamentally STRIKING arts has held me in good stead and I'm all in one piece at age 31 when a lot of people I know aren't.

So it took you ten years to get competent at grappling AND remove your head from your ass. I'm so happy for you. Did you ever think that a) what worked for you might not work for someone else and b) you might have gotten there quicker had your head not been so far up?... Don't judge everyone else by your abilities, or lack thereof.

Knowledge is a wonderful thing, and obviously knowledge of another style would add something to anyone's skills. I have never disputed that at any point in this thread. But all these JJ guys telling me how my art sucks is pathetic. You don't know what I do, how I train, whether we spar or not - even, god forbid whether we do any grappling, because for some reason they all think they know everything already, and through the bitching, no-one thought to ask.

Listen, I've had a fight with a wing chun practitioner that made a big deal of the fact that he had been training for 10 years and he was diabolical, but that's his training, mentality and teacher at fault. And you can't tell me there's no crappy JJ instructors out there. That's why I have an issue with the whole paper-scissor-stone 'BJJ beats wing chun' mentality because life ain't that simple.

Although I'm sure someone will come out of the woodwork and tell me he's a 3rd degree black belt Gracie exponent, can you honestly say you wouldn't back Mike Tyson, trained in a striking art (soley, to my knowledge) in a street fight against most people? It's because over and above being a boxer, he is a fighter...

Anyway, I am done trying to justify myself reasonably when everyone else appears to just want to whinge on like a comic book nerd on a film-site forum. It's not enough that people here don't entertain an alternate point of view on this forum for a milisecond, but to so frequently get caught up in semantics, bandwagon-esque chest-beating and so forth is ridiculous. I thought we were here to discuss, not to act like we're the Yoda of all martial arts dispensing wisdom and castigations as we see fit...

Get my head out of my ass? Read the whole thread, and don't just jump on the bandwagon... Have a nice evening. I'm off to pick a fight with a wrestler. :adios:

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    2/15/2006 10:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by benfscott
    Knowledge is a wonderful thing, and obviously knowledge of another style would add something to anyone's skills. I have never disputed that at any point in this thread. But all these JJ guys telling me how my art sucks is pathetic. You don't know what I do, how I train, whether we spar or not - even, god forbid whether we do any grappling, because for some reason they all think they know everything already, and through the bitching, no-one thought to ask.

Listen, I've had a fight with a wing chun practitioner that made a big deal of the fact that he had been training for 10 years and he was diabolical, but that's his training, mentality and teacher at fault. And you can't tell me there's no crappy JJ instructors out there. That's why I have an issue with the whole paper-scissor-stone 'BJJ beats wing chun' mentality because life ain't that simple.
    Unfortunately with most traditional striking arts the way they are, like Lefty said, they don't pressure test it anymore with resistance. They don't know what works for them or how to update/adapt themselves. It's become so much the norm, that especially on this website, the new mindset is flame first, intelligent-discussion-after-sparring-you later.

You said so yourself, we don't know how you train or what you do, and with the current state of striking standup MA as it is today, I can understand flame first talk later.

Posted On:
    2/16/2006 4:47am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalRage
    Had no idea you were still around.
    Well, I had been lurking for a long time and just recently I've seen a fair few things that I've wanted to comment upon.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910