Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2006 10:49pm

Style: PFS, some BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Aggression on the ground

Ok i have a delimma, my ground defense is excellent...i can mostly defend against anyone on the ground BUT i cant hardly tap anyone out at all...even white belts.

My question is how can I improve my offence on the ground mentally because i simply do not take any opportunities that i see because im afraid ill mess up and get tapped

Any suggestions other than stop being a *****?

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    2/09/2006 11:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try a flurry drill, once in a while. Get a willing partner, just move from attack to attack, not really committing to a finish, just keep moving. Have your partner give different levels of resistance. Learn to chain attacks together. Don't get too wrapped up in finishing any single technique - that's where you can get caught - keep fluid.

Get some confidence that you can initiate an attack, and if that doesn't work, move to different attack, and if that doesn't work ...

Take the initiative, don't give it back. Switch from a static defense to an active defense - a lot of small, ticky-tack attacks that your partner must defend against, but not so committed that he can easily catch you in defense.

And so what, if you mess up and have to tap? It's practice, isn't it? Try to remember what you did wrong, don't do it again.

Think of a baseball analogy - do you want to get called out on strikes, or do you want to go down swinging?

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    2/09/2006 11:26pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, Stop being a *****.

The Judo saying goes something like.

Masaaki Hatsumi: "When you fall down 7 times, get up 8 times."

Only by giving it your all when throwing people will you be able to learn. And until you learn you will be thrown a thousand times yourself. Same thing applies to almost anything. You have to lose to learn to win. You probably got passed and tapped a million times on the ground before you got good at defending. Same thing goes for another part of the game. It's part of learning. Don't bring your ego into it.
    More human than human is our motto.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2006 11:16am

Style: BJJ & MMA, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My suggestion is also stop being a *****... :tongue5: . I kid.

Seriously, I have had the same feeling you do until lately. Submission and finish attempts walk hand in hand with risking loosing position. Every time you attempt a sub, you leave yourself vulnerable to something else.

Just go for it. Chances are you might get passed, stacked or tapped....but you ain't gonna tap him out by just maintaining a position. And you may actually catch them offguard :XXeyeslam .

Take risks in practice where its safer and a learning environment, rather than only take risks in tourneys and bar fights. You want to have trained the "riskiness" out of your technique in practice, so when it comes time for real, you've whittled the risk factor down by practice.

So open up that guard and bait a pass for a triangle, give 'em half-guard just to try and pull them down into an arm triangle from the bottom....
    ....the worse thing that will happen is they get a mount or a pass, then use that great defense you've built up to regain position.

And remember, nothing ever works every time.
    Last edited by Killbot; 2/10/2006 11:18am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2006 11:35am

Style: PFS, some BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i will start those flurry drills this afternoon when i get out of school

Thanks guys for all the help

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2006 11:46am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great advice, guys. I have the same problem, actually...and my classmates have even called me on it. I'm a great defensive grappler, but I work only for position when I'm on offense. Maybe I take "position, control, submission" too seriously as a lot of times I'll get reversed or put back into guard when I just kinda sit there when getting side or full mount.

I guess it's just a matter of mindset...being proactive instead of reactive...

Thanks for the tips...I gotta try that flurry drill as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2006 12:56pm

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    flowing from submission to submission is very good advice... use one to set up the next eventually you will get them...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2006 1:54pm

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train 3x/week BJJ kimono class...I would go 2 more days but I can't make it T/Th for no-gi class...

On M/W we have regular kimono class...warm up, learn a technqiue and defenses/progressions from it...and then about 30 mins of sparring with various partners...

On F, we have a "competition" class that's geared towards those who want to compete; so we focus on drilling and conditioning without much in terms of learning technique...so we'll just do conditioning drills like all hell, move onto our "drills" where one guy gets into whatever position and it's just free attacking while the other defends, then we finish with "king of the mat" sort of stuff to encourage aggression and to learn the point system...

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    2/11/2006 3:10pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haha. I couldn't remember the number so I googled and copied, guess I got his name in there. I've only ever heard it by Judo folks and couldn't give less of a rats ass if Hatsumi agrees to be honest. At least it shows he knows what he's talking about.

And come on what?

Edit: Besides. Isn't Hatsumi a 3 or 4th dan in Judo?
    Last edited by fanatical; 2/11/2006 3:13pm at .
    More human than human is our motto.

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    2/11/2006 3:24pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AikiZenDragon
    flowing from submission to submission is very good advice... use one to set up the next eventually you will get them...
    Why are you here?

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast