Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2006 10:29am

Style: Arnis, judo, Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Thanks for all the help keep it coming if you have it.

Thanks for all the good info folks this should help out alot. Getting in contact with some of these people over the next couple of weeks. Thanks again this helps out alot.

PT

Posted On:
    2/27/2006 2:11pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elnyka
    That's pretty cool, then.

BTW, I just watched some of the Dog Brothers video for developing power, and at the start, they show an actual confrontation in Africa using long sticks/poles. This was a very interesting and informative thing - too bad it was just a short clip without much background info.

This was no sports bout. It was an actual tribal confrontation. The combatants used these long poles, probably 8ft long to wack the living crap out of each other. Hits were mostly from side to side, but ****, those blows were fast and brutal, and the combatants were wearing some sort of head protection as well.
    Yeah, I've seen that, and used to have it on tape. It was shown a few years back on the Discovery Channel, or the Learning Channel, I can't remember which. It was quite fascinating.

The participants fought with 8-10 foot staff, made from some local reed/vine. They'd wrap their head and hands in some sort of towels, to soften the blow. Then they'd wail away on each other. Since the weapons were so long they'd have to use a lot of body torque to get the thing going, but once it had momentum, they could really hit with some force. I didn't see any thrusting, only arced circular attacks with a lot of body twisting. Defensive tactics were mostly evasion, and I saw little blocking with the sticks. Generally offensive disruption seemed to be the primary method of defense.

The match would go until knockout or submission, when one player was unable to continue. The commentator stated that there were occasional deaths in matches, but that they weren't too common. Broken jaws, fingers, and other minor injuries were very common. Due to the abuse that a fighter would take, it was generally seen as a young man's sport, with older fighters serving as teachers/coaches. The young guys enjoyed the competition itself, but champions' social status was elevated, and they tended to get a lot of admiration from the ladies.

The matches that I saw on the show were between villages that were friendly rivals. It was noted that sometimes things got out of hand with the spirit of the competition, and fights often happened. The old timers really seemed to discourage anyone bringing guns, which apparently did happen sometimes.

I'll see if I can find a link to the program.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/27/2006 4:17pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    Yeah, I've seen that, and used to have it on tape. It was shown a few years back on the Discovery Channel, or the Learning Channel, I can't remember which. It was quite fascinating.

The participants fought with 8-10 foot staff, made from some local reed/vine. They'd wrap their head and hands in some sort of towels, to soften the blow. Then they'd wail away on each other. Since the weapons were so long they'd have to use a lot of body torque to get the thing going, but once it had momentum, they could really hit with some force. I didn't see any thrusting, only arced circular attacks with a lot of body twisting. Defensive tactics were mostly evasion, and I saw little blocking with the sticks. Generally offensive disruption seemed to be the primary method of defense.

The match would go until knockout or submission, when one player was unable to continue. The commentator stated that there were occasional deaths in matches, but that they weren't too common. Broken jaws, fingers, and other minor injuries were very common. Due to the abuse that a fighter would take, it was generally seen as a young man's sport, with older fighters serving as teachers/coaches. The young guys enjoyed the competition itself, but champions' social status was elevated, and they tended to get a lot of admiration from the ladies.

The matches that I saw on the show were between villages that were friendly rivals. It was noted that sometimes things got out of hand with the spirit of the competition, and fights often happened. The old timers really seemed to discourage anyone bringing guns, which apparently did happen sometimes.

I'll see if I can find a link to the program.
    Yeah, that's the one. They wrapped their heads and hands with some sort of thick, yellowish-to-light-brown fabric. They wacked the crap out of each other. No trusting action as you mentioned.

If you find a link to it, please let us know. To the untrained eye, it would look like a bunch of people wacking at will, but to swing those things like that, I'm pretty sure that they must have techniques for doing so. Those dudes are tough!!!!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    2/27/2006 4:38pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.pulseplanet.com/archive/Sep00/2224.html

I think this was it. Still not sure of the channel that it showed on though. You might be able to contact them about getting a copy.

Posted On:
    2/26/2007 12:40pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: taekwondo/Zen Shi Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know I e-mailed the guy from Mukhanda enterprise and he told me they often have seminars nearby where I live. Apparently they're having some on Afro-Cuban Mani and one on Haitian Muti Stick-fighting. I'll post my opinions afterwords..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/25/2007 1:12pm

Style: Capoeira Angola

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know of three African MA's based on cattle fighting in Angola from a seminar Desch-Obi gave in february. One is a stick fight developed by using sticks to beat bulls over the head to keep them in line. Another is one entirely comprised of headbutting techniques, and finally one where you essentially pimp slap the pimp juice out your opponent (likewise he doing the same to you) with arm positions mimicking bull horns. Some of the headbutting techniques found their way into capoeira, and the stick fighting may have been influential in the way malta gangs in Rio fought with sticks and razors. (just a theory 2b taken with grain of salt)

Martial mediocrite

Posted On:
    4/02/2007 6:45am

Join us... or die
     Style: Using bag as aggro outlet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love anthropology and yet this is weirding me out...
    What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2007 10:09pm

Style: Capoeira Angola

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any specific points you'd like to address?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123