232325 Bullies, 3814 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: Do the ulterior motives of the poster affect the validity of bullshido claim(s)?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, it makes no difference.

    14 12.61%
  • No, but they sure could be a lot more polite.

    5 4.50%
  • No, but their posts require a tiny bit more scrutiny.

    10 9.01%
  • No, but their posts require A LOT more scrutiny.

    36 32.43%
  • Maybe, I mean if the poster is really a horse's ass or something.

    12 10.81%
  • Probably. All vendettas are automatically viewed suspicsiously

    25 22.52%
  • Yes, it invalids most everything a poster says.

    4 3.60%
  • All of the above.

    3 2.70%
  • None of the above.

    3 2.70%
  • The Seahawks were robbed. :smile:

    24 21.62%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Results 1 to 10 of 235
Page 1 of 24 1 234511 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Tom Kagan is offline
    Tom Kagan's Avatar

    Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    New York, NY USA
    Posts
    5,602

    Posted On:
    2/09/2006 4:43pm

    supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Vendetta and JFS, HFY, et al.

    Does a poster having a vendetta change the validity of subject matter presented?

    In some of the threads here in which GhostDog68 posts a case against Hung Fai Yi Wing Chun and Anthony posts a case against JFS USA, one of the items repeatedly brought up in rebuttal is that there is a vendetta being expressed in the post, and therefore, the information contained within the post is somehow not valid.

    I personally think that if the information being presented is valid, it really doesn't matter what the ulterior motive of the person making the posts may be.

    For the purposes of determining the validity of bullshido claims, what might other people's thoughts on the subject be?
  2. dramaboy is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,577

    Posted On:
    2/09/2006 5:02pm


     Style: -

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have no way of knowing, yet you claim you know, you are effectively lying.

    And yes, if you post a halfassed investigation tail to tail with a flamewar wwith the subject of the investigation, it is suspicious. Doesn't invalidate the issue, but it undermines the impact of the good points if there are any.

    Tomas


    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    Does a poster having a vendetta change the validity of subject matter presented?

    In some of the threads here in which GhostDog68 posts a case against Hung Fai Yi Wing Chun and Anthony posts a case against JFS USA, one of the items repeatedly brought up in rebuttal is that there is a vendetta being expressed in the post, and therefore, the information contained within the post is somehow not valid.

    I personally think that if the information being presented is valid, it really doesn't matter what the ulterior motive of the person making the posts may be.

    For the purposes of determining the validity of bullshido claims, what might other people's thoughts on the subject be?
    Current stage of death: denial
  3. PirateJon is offline
    PirateJon's Avatar

    and good morning to you too

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    3,240

    Posted On:
    2/09/2006 5:03pm

    supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy
    If you have no way of knowing, yet you claim you know, you are effectively lying.

    And yes, if you post a halfassed investigation tail to tail with a flamewar wwith the subject of the investigation, it is suspicious. Doesn't invalidate the issue, but it undermines the impact of the good points if there are any.

    Tomas
    I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.
  4. Pandinha is offline

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    8,751

    Posted On:
    2/09/2006 5:04pm

    supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy
    If you have no way of knowing, yet you claim you know, you are effectively lying.

    And yes, if you post a halfassed investigation tail to tail with a flamewar wwith the subject of the investigation, it is suspicious. Doesn't invalidate the issue, but it undermines the impact of the good points if there are any.

    Tomas
    I can see where it undermines the concrete points to those who look at it emotionally, instead of logically.

    A picture says a thousand words. I gave you two galleries, that's like what? 100 to 150,000 words?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".
  5. Greese is offline
    Greese's Avatar

    Motorboatin SOB

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    5,970

    Posted On:
    2/09/2006 5:18pm

    supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, we form vendettas against people on this site if that is the word we are going to use, for being bullshido.

    There is and should be a bias against being bullshido. If you don't like that please leave.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.
  6. Tom Kagan is offline
    Tom Kagan's Avatar

    Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    New York, NY USA
    Posts
    5,602

    Posted On:
    2/09/2006 5:19pm

    supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy
    If you have no way of knowing, yet you claim you know, you are effectively lying.

    And yes, if you post a halfassed investigation tail to tail with a flamewar wwith the subject of the investigation, it is suspicious. Doesn't invalidate the issue, but it undermines the impact of the good points if there are any.

    Tomas

    Yes, but the same "halfassed investigation tail to tail with a flamewar" by a person without the vendetta would be subject to the same validity test. So, you are really arguing for answer ... #2, perhaps?
  7. Tom Kagan is offline
    Tom Kagan's Avatar

    Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    New York, NY USA
    Posts
    5,602

    Posted On:
    2/09/2006 5:21pm

    supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

    Go here and click the "mailing list" link: http://www.themartialist.com/

    :smile:
  8. dramaboy is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,577

    Posted On:
    2/09/2006 5:22pm


     Style: -

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    Yes, but the same "halfassed investigation tail to tail with a flamewar" by a person without the vendetta would be subject to the same validity test. So, you are really arguing for answer ... #2, perhaps?
    Yes. I misread the option.
    #4

    Tomas
    Current stage of death: denial
  9. xingyifa is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    696

    Posted On:
    2/09/2006 6:29pm


     Style: none currently

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I too say #4. It is the responsibility of the party making the claim to provide solid evidence. Once done, the argument should stand for itself. At this point, nothing invalidates an argument other than countering evidence. A good argument can be made for all the wrong reasons. The "wrong reasons" just make the argument easier to justify ignoring for people who for whatever reason, don't HAVE to know the truth of the matter.

    EDIT: I LOVE the steelers, but the seahawks were robbed...
    Last edited by xingyifa; 2/09/2006 6:37pm at .
  10. Kobayashi is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    126

    Posted On:
    2/09/2006 6:50pm


     Style: Baguazhang

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Speaking of JFS, what happened? The last I saw someone was going to open a thread and JFS was going to expain the pictures from the seminar but I never saw it. Keep in mind that I don't have access to the BBC.
Page 1 of 24 1 234511 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.