Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    3/06/2006 1:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well...you have more wins than I do, so don't feel so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by relytjj
    Relson Gracie is an unproffessional asshole and I'll never attend any event put on by him ever again (yes, i would say this to his face)
    Elaborate...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2006 1:30pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Gracie Worlds are notoriously a poorly run tournament but I refused to believe they were that bad until I actually participated in one. Reporting times were 8 am for black, brown, and blue belts and 11 for white and blue. Competition didn't start until 2 pm if i recall correctly. I didn't compete until 9 pm. I left at 12:30 am (the next day) and there were still people competing.

Every referee was scoring points as they saw fit. Relson had a rules meeting and none of the refs scored according to how Relson had established the rules. My instructor lost his match after being on top the whole time and having several advantages when he was swept literally seconds before time ran out, the sweep wasn't even completed when the table threw the time out marker on the mat and the ref gave the guy 2 sweep points for the win when Relson had earlier established that you had to hold a position for at least 3 seconds to get the points. The sweep wasn't even complete, they were both on their sides. One ref made a teammate of mine take off his rashguard. Insisted on it even though people had been doing so all night long. Then in the next match allowed a competitor to compete with a rashguard on. I saw a couple of people get straight up robbed on points. I won't go into anymore examples I saw.

It was utter chaos finding out which mat you were competing on. I saw three people argue to be put back onto their brackets after missing the initial calls. In an arena packed with people they only started using hte microphone to announce where divisions would be after 10pm.

They didn't make a single announcment about the t-shirt we were supposed to receive, luckily through word of mouth I found the place. They had everyones name on multiple pieces of notebook paper in random order and you had to find your name to get a t-shirt. Needless to say I abused this system and got 3 t-shirts. I didn't remove anyone elses name to do so.

I have nothing against Relson as a person but to be ridiculously unproffessional to the degree that the Gracie Worlds was is a kick to nuts of all the people who come out to do jiu-jitsu. Starting the tournament 4-5 hours late because your nursing your hangover is ridiculous. I was talking to Luiz Palhares and asked him about Relson and Luiz said he went to his room at 8 and Relson said 'Ok'. That's it, 'Ok'. I understand hangover recovery, but if you have 500+ bjj competitors waiting on YOU, you get your drunk ass up and go do it, especially after you've taken $70 from them, even if they pre-registered. ****, I wouldn't have cared if he ran the tournament drunk off his ass, it might have actually improved it.
  3. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    3/06/2006 1:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeouch!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2006 1:48pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did hear from two different people that Grapplers Quest might pop up in Columbus or Nashville sometime in the future. I can only hope.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2006 3:52am

Style: No-Gi BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, having no idea what was ever going on and when I was supposed to fight was kind of a bummer. I would keep getting warmed up and psyched up to fight, wait three hours, and then do it again, until I finally got my first fight sometime around 9-10pm. I almost missed my fight because they somehow put me in the featherweight division even though I'm a middleweight, but fortunately for the guys who weighed 20 lbs less than me my coach was able to get me switched back. The adult white belt divisions were so packed that they took everyone who was 30+ and put them in the masters division, without telling anyone of course. There were 39 people my division so they broke us up into two brackets and awarded two sets of medals, which I was really thankful for because after my fifth match I was pretty close to dieing. The combination of not eating anything except protein bars all day and having no rest between matches didn't help. I took second place, but I was dissapointed in my cardio and my guard, so I have that to work on.

My coach ended up losing his first gi match because they wrote his advantage point down in the wrong column. He was pretty pissed, but I think he made up for it by winning the open weight with a flying armbar.

I think the highlight of the day was watching the guy in the wheelchair in the board breaking competition.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123