Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 9:58pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Janggoon, you bring up truly groundbreaking perspectives.

Thank god you chose to reregister for the 34th time.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 10:21pm

Style: Taekwondo, Boxing (?)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok.. i've been patient but you are the annoying of the most annoying

congrats you get the prize

so **** off

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 10:32pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taekwon
    I know I've already asked questions about other arts but I'm just trying to get as much information as possible. I'm not trying to be annoying; I just want to gather as much information.

I've already done a lot of research about Judo but there are still questions lingering in my mind. Please... no wisecracks or witty comments. I really don't want this thread ruined. My desire to learn is sincere.

1. Professor Kano developed Judo to make "people better contributors to society through physical and mental training".

Is it still a martial art though? Is it an effective means of combat and self defense?

2. How good is the groundwork in Judo? I need to work on some ground grappling.

3. I heard a lot of things in Judo need to be trained without gi. Is this true? If so, why? My potential mugger is definitely going to be wearing something...

Thanks.
    All you need to do is **** off.
    More human than human is our motto.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 10:32pm

Style: Taekwondo, Boxing (?)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    very original after i just said it... congratulations

you win:

:female: :female: :female: :female: :female:

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 10:37pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously Janggoon, I miss getting threatening PMs from you.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 10:40pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm taking bets on how long it will take you to get trollshido'ed again.

You language, questions and statements betray you to be someone with little to no knowledge of what you're talking about.

I really have a hard time picturing you training anything at all. But I guess it might just be that you are retarted and you're actually training, but you're sadly lacking in brain capacity to produce any rational thought.

So yeah.. why are you posting here again?
    More human than human is our motto.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 10:45pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taekwon
    I know I've already asked questions about other arts but I'm just trying to get as much information as possible. I'm not trying to be annoying; I just want to gather as much information.

I've already done a lot of research about Judo but there are still questions lingering in my mind. Please... no wisecracks or witty comments. I really don't want this thread ruined. My desire to learn is sincere.

1. Professor Kano developed Judo to make "people better contributors to society through physical and mental training".

Is it still a martial art though? Is it an effective means of combat and self defense?

2. How good is the groundwork in Judo? I need to work on some ground grappling.

3. I heard a lot of things in Judo need to be trained without gi. Is this true? If so, why? My potential mugger is definitely going to be wearing something...

Thanks.
    1) all masters seem to have this goal in mind once they get old. I dont know why, but they get all spritial when they get old. But that doesn't mean they dont kick ass.

2) BJJ comes from judo/jujutsu. All judo really is is jujutsu that was modified to remove techniques that could not be practiced in an alive manner (so basically a change in the way they trained). This allowed the judo players to train more often then jujutsu guys and thus be better prepared for combat. Most bjj techniques I have learned so are judo techniques. So far in my 1 and 1/2 months of bjj training I have found the difference is the stratagy and theory that bjj provides and the rule set under which you fight.

3) Judo has 'nakid' throws, locks, pins, and chokes. Plus you can always modify a gi technique to a no gi technique with a little exp in no gi grappling. My instructor knows I'm training gi and no gi bjj so he will point out how to modify techniques to work no gi. That said a thick shirt or jacket will work just as well, you might rip a t-shirt off the guys back though, but thats ok, just choke his ass out with it.

I dont think you can make a wrong choice with grappling. As long as it is trained in an alive manner you will know if it works or not right off the bat. There should be no question in your mind if you can do the technique because you will be really doing it against a guy hell bent on throwing you/ taking you to the ground, choking you, or submitting you with a number of differnt types of joint locks.

I have had questions before on the effectiveness of some aikido techniques. It would sometimes take a while to get in a situation where we could practice them with resistance and by then I would have forgotten a lot of the points covered in class. But with bjj and judo I have no doubts about what I can do, what I can't do, what I will be able to do, what works, and what doesn't work. My techniques are learned, drilled, and then immediatly tested in an 'alive' enviroment.

So I say find a school with a good atmosphere, a good price, and a lot of rolling and jump right in.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/09/2006 5:43pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since you are asking questions regarding Judo and groundwork, you will - at some point - run into one of those stupid 'BJJ vs Judo' threads. So as you search for answers, I'd suggest you read this particular article from bestjudo:

http://www.bestjudo.com/article6.shtml

Whether you end up taking Judo, BJJ, or some sort of grappling, it would be good if you check http://www.judoinfo.com every once in a while, and see (more or less) what Judo has to offer.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    2/10/2006 11:29am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Somebody had to take a little time-out, didn't they?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2006 12:10pm

Style: BJJ and MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elnyka
    Since you are asking questions regarding Judo and groundwork, you will - at some point - run into one of those stupid 'BJJ vs Judo' threads. So as you search for answers, I'd suggest you read this particular article from bestjudo:

http://www.bestjudo.com/article6.shtml

Whether you end up taking Judo, BJJ, or some sort of grappling, it would be good if you check http://www.judoinfo.com every once in a while, and see (more or less) what Judo has to offer.
    Elnyka,

That was a good article.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12